Author Topic: Poker Run Ideas for Summer Kick-Off  (Read 3651 times)

Offline WetRaider

Poker Run Ideas for Summer Kick-Off
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:25:48 AM »
Ok guys ... most of you know the typical poker run rules, right?  It's not a race, even though most participants go WOT or close to it.  Typically, you've got five stops and each participant collects (or purchases) a playing card at each stop.  At the final stop, once all participants have arrived, each hand is scored according to regular poker rules.  The highest poker hand wins.

Since we're not hopping keys off the southern coast of Florida out here, I thought that I would put all 5 cards in an envelope for each boat on the water - they will be shuffled and dealt, then sealed inside.  I thought we'd start our poker run along the face of the dam and run through the main body of the lake and under the bridge at Bridgeview Park ... Here is where I thought we'd get our cards.  I thought about hanging the envelopes from the bridge so that as we pass underneath we can just reach up and pluck an envelope, make a turn around on the far side of the bridge, pass back under and return to the resort.  We can use the slips temporarily for free if we are using the restaurant/bar, so we might tie off and head onto the patio (or inside) ... I can arrange with the resort to offer replacement cards.  We can have a pre-determined replacement value so that you if you are unhappy with your hand from the envelope, you can purchase replacements at a price-per-card.  The winner of the poker run wins any money raised by the sale of replacement cards  (unless you guys decide you'd like to have a buy-in for the original hands as well & the winner will get that money as well).  

I'm thinking at $1.00/card the winner gets $100 if we have 20 participants.  Cheap enough that everyone should be able to buy in, and you can buy more than one hand if you want, but the price is worth participating for ... what do you think?

Or, we could do it Blackjack style - everyone gets 2 cards at the bridge, and they have a chance to "hit" back at the resort.  I could play designated "dealer" and any small money involved is split evenly with whomever has a higher count than I do, less than 21 of course..

Oh ... and should we open it up publicly and allow anyone on the lake to join in?  We'd have to have a registration deadline so we can be sure to have enough cards available ...

Opinions?  Suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:31:44 AM by WetRaider »
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline 75starflight

Re: Poker Run Ideas for Summer Kick-Off
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 04:02:30 PM »
Sounds like a fun idea! I would leave it at with the pre dealt hand sealed and hung from the bridge and be able to purchase a minium of 3 draws and maximum of 5 draws just to keep it sane.
1975 v-179 starflite