Author Topic: Friday Dinner at Rathbun  (Read 8009 times)

Offline WetRaider

Friday Dinner at Rathbun
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:18:21 PM »
Alright, guys.  Here's what I've got so far ... 50 baked potatoes.

My plan for Friday evening was to provide a cook-your-own steak and a prepared baked potato so that we can visit and hang out by the grills/campfires.  I didn't mind bring the littles, like butter and sour cream and cheese.  I imagined smaller groups breaking out around different grills and pits so that we're cooking mostly at the same time.

In January, I had a sponsor willing to donate cash to cover approximately 35 lbs of ribeye steaks (enough to feed 45 - assuming some are kids, some are female, and some are meat-eating men) - they've gone MIA.  No return phone calls, same with e-mail.  As a first-timer, now I understand the hesitation to include sponsors and depend on them.  For a back up, the guys doing our burgers on Saturday said they'd sell me steaks at cost ... but before that, they are going to contact the Iowa Beef Council to see if we can get a donation to cover all or part.

Here's my dilemma.  I've pledged to make this event as free as possible to those attending.  I don't wish to ask anyone to pony up cash so we can have a steak dinner on Friday.  Would there be hurt feelings if the Beef Council cannot contribute and I provide boneless chicken breasts?  It's no secret that the chicken breasts would be less expensive, but it would be my treat - a thanks for those of you willing to come out and participate in this first event.  The potatoes are donated from a local restaurant - and they've confirmed - so we can have potatoes with our chicken ... add some bbq sauce, maybe some beans or another side ...

Let me know if there are objections.  I want everyone to have a good time, AND I want everyone to come back next year with a friend !  Maybe I'll hit you guys up to contribute stuff like disposable plates and cutlery, napkins & your own beverages ...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 05:20:17 PM by WetRaider »
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Bayflite73

Re: Friday Dinner at Rathbun
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:02:00 PM »
Dan,

You've gone above and beyond and then some with this event. Boneless chicken breasts, hot dogs, can's of spam... whatever it is people will have a great time. I don't think anyone will object (at least seriously ;)).

Maybe we could start a list of things to sign up for on this thread so we don't end up with 600 plates but no napkins. That sort of thing.
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:20 PM »
Yeah, in all honesty Dan, I'm either willing to chip in $20 for steaks/chicken, or just have a baked potato or hot dogs/brats/hamburgers or, even fenfo...for everything.  Doesn't matter to me in the slightest.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 08:26:30 PM »
We can do anything you want, just let us know..also are there stores nearby... I hate to haul alot from Nebraska...

Joe

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Joe -
Yes ... there are stores.  The town of Centerville is about a 20 minute drive from the State Park.  You'll find two full grocery stores (Fareway & Hyvee) and the obligatory Wal Mart.  There will be other places you could stop that will be closer, but you're talking much smaller selection and probably a higher cost. 

Looking at Google Maps, you'll be going through Osceola, Creston, and getting close to Moravia ... Your best bet, though, is still Centerville.  If you can get me a list of what you want, I can work it out with Fareway to have you call in a credit card number and they'll put it together on Friday - I can bring it out with me.  Fareway will be setting up the grill and cooking burgers for us on Saturday.

Dan O'Connor

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the info we will just stock on the way in, we rented the camper so we may come over on Thursday, had to rent it for 3 days.  The old boat is just about ready, bought one of those Harbor Freight buffers and so far buffed off the sticker on the engine and some paint on the trailor. Lol

Joe

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
That's OK Dan, things like this happen. You have done alot for this first meet which we do appricate. I will do some checking and see I I can come up with any thing to help. Just a thought, how many do you have down for attending the meet?
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:30:09 PM »
Brandon ... we're looking at 45-50.
Between 15 and 20 boats, depending on those that might bring more than one ... or like me who simply hope to be floating by then.  I had no idea how deep the problems ran when I started planning. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
They always end up being like onions don't they? You peel back a layer and the next thing you know you're deep into it and usually smelly!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
Talk about smelly ... even my neighbor peeked over the fence and asked if I was working on portable toilets ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 03:02:47 PM »
Not sure if I have seen a schedule of your planned events, do you have something put together...