Author Topic: Déjà vu :-(  (Read 2089 times)

Offline iowa cv-23

Déjà vu :-(
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:49:57 PM »
so, just to recap - at Rathbun my cv-23 "Sparkly" ran on Friday, then did not fire up on Sat (needed new Dist. cap, rotor, & sensor)...we got an unrelated shift interrupter thing fixed recently, so I figured we were at the "turn-key" stage......

So, the Mrs. & I head out for an overnight-er on the lake - runs great last night, shifted brilliantly................... but his morning no spark - turned over great, smell gas, just no spark....eerily similar to my Rathbun situation.

(as I type this my upper body is shutting down from the hour 20 minutes of rowing back to the dock!)

...so, I'm at another complete loss - could the new distributor cap have crapped out, or maybe we didn't use Red Loctite on the rotor like the guy at the Rathbun Marina pleaded us to do..(even my local guy was baffled by that).

on a side-note, would anyone like to "borrow" Sparkly for a semester, kinda like a foreign exchange student, and get her in tip-top condition? - (what would a new Mercruiser 5.7 fuel injection run)?

Thank you in advance -you guys are the best.   I really wish I could contribute to the forum somehow instead of being the "always asking for help guy".

Erik
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 12:02:37 AM by iowa cv-23 »

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Re: Déjà vu :-(
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 06:53:52 AM »
Did you ever change out the coil and related wiring?
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline iowa cv-23

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:28 AM »
yep - changed out the coil & wire to the distributor

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
That's no fun.
Who did you talk to at the marina here at Rathbun?  The owner's name is Doug - he's got a reputation for being an ass & incorrect quite often.  I've had the pleasure of experiencing both.  
He swore up and down that I had a shift linkage problem on the boat ... after he sat on the boat for two weeks and didn't touch it, he made up some b.s. about why he didn't want to look at my boat or try to fix it.
In the end - I had a spun prop.
That aside, I'm sorry to hear about Sparkly.  I've had my share of time on the water with a motor that either wouldn't start, or would start and die as soon as I put it in gear.  
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150