Author Topic: Tonights' update - any last minute suggestions?!  (Read 1682 times)

Offline scott r bishop

• RecordTogether
Tonights' update - any last minute suggestions?!
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:34:53 PM »
So we ran it quite a bit on the muffs tonight, now confident that the cooling system was working properly (thanks Brian and Jeff)!  Thermostat never went above 145F where it's supposed to open; but, we noticed that the upper manifold on the right (drivers side, where the water enters the system) stays cold while the upper manifold on the left (passenger side) is getting hotter.  When we shut the engine off, the two equalize rapidly (i.e. I think the water is flowing equally when not running); and again, the thermostat never read above 145F after 10+ minutes.  Is this normal?  It makes sense to me that the further upper manifold woule take the longest to cool down compared to the other one.  We've run Sea Foam through the gastank (2 cans, as per Jeff's reccommendation) and a 1/2 bottle through a spray can right into the carb.  Lowest it will run is ~800 rpm, not quite in idle.  Is this something we can adjust?  Any other ideas other than spraying the carb with Sea Foam?  Thanks again for the help everyone!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:37:17 PM by scott r bishop »
1980 CVX-18
1989 CSS-19

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
Re: Tonights' update - any last minute suggestions?!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:57 PM »
The idle will come down a bit once its in the river/lake with real back pressure.  I wouldn't adjust the idle until you get it in the water.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:55:26 PM »
I agree, run it on the water a little "to clear it out" before making adjustments. Maybe you can blow some of that debris out of the carb. Sounds like that boats been sitting a while. I wouldn't be surprised if that carb needs a teardown/clean out.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Bayflite73

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:38:17 AM »
Agreed.

I had the same "crap in the carb" issue and a can of sea foam in the tank plus pouring it in the carb while on muffs in the driveway helped a great deal. I played with the throttle linkage a bit and have mine idling at about 800 as well. Shawn and I met up on White Bear 2 weeks ago and she ran better than she ever had. Keeping fingers, toes crossed and knocking on a lot of wood as I type this!

Adjusting on the water shouldn't be much of a problem!
Josh Craig
'78 SSV-177
previously owned: '73 V-174 Bayflite