Author Topic: Next Best Thing to a Man Cave  (Read 8734 times)

Offline Jerry

Re: Next Best Thing to a Man Cave
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 04:08:40 AM »
Yom Hoover ran one in a Dragster around '67.  Looked cool, couldn't qualify, went back to the Chrysler.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:56 AM »
I'm not an authority on vintage high performance, but watching from the fringes i think its interesting how the Chevy motors became the
"performance standard" or at least the most common performance motors when Ford and Chrysler had made some vary amazing motors back in the day.
i guess mostly due to parts interchangeability and a cost effective parts supply.
i bet John or Jerry could give us some interesting info on the subject.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:29:29 AM by thedeuceman »
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »
i guess mostly due to parts interchangeability and a cost effective parts supply.

I agree, everything usually comes down to price and availability.

Ford and Chrysler did seem to experiment with things more too. Chrsyler with the hemi and didn't they even have a turbine car for a while too? That cammer was way ahead of it's time. Too bad it never got fine tuned. Just about all new cars now days have SOHC or DOHC cam engines.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
I am pretty much a Ford fan, but i remember reading an article that stated Chrysler had the first "production" EFI system.
here is text from Wikipedia

"The first commercial electronic fuel injection (EFI) system was Electrojector, developed by the Bendix Corporation and was offered by American Motors Corporation (AMC) in 1957.[8][9] The Rambler Rebel, showcased AMC's new 327 cu in (5.4 L) engine. The Electrojector was an option and rated at 288 bhp (214.8 kW).[10] The EFI produced peak torque 500 rpm lower than the equivalent carburetored engine[6] The Rebel Owners Manual described the design and operation of the new system.[11] (due to cooler, therefore denser, intake air[citation needed]). The cost of the EFI option was US$395 and it was available on June 15, 1957.[12] Electrojector's teething problems meant only pre-production cars were so equipped: thus, very few cars so equipped were ever sold[13] and none were made available to the public.[14] The EFI system in the Rambler ran fine in warm weather, but suffered hard starting in cooler temperatures.[12]

Chrysler offered Electrojector on the 1958 Chrysler 300D, DeSoto Adventurer, Dodge D-500 and Plymouth Fury, arguably the first series-production cars equipped with an EFI system. It was jointly engineered by Chrysler and Bendix. The early electronic components were not equal to the rigors of underhood service, however, and were too slow to keep up with the demands of "on the fly" engine control. Most of the 35 vehicles originally so equipped were field-retrofitted with 4-barrel carburetors. The Electrojector patents were subsequently sold to Bosch."

Also found this at
http://www.allpar.com/cars/desoto/electrojector.html

Electronically controlled and electrically actuated, the "Electrojector" had a transistor-equipped brain or modulator, about 5 inches in size. The brain took a timed electrical signal from the ignition distributor. It sensed, through tiny electronic transmitting devices located at key points on the engine, the engine's temperature, throttle position, manifold pressure and even the altitude (or density) of the air being sucked into the cylinders. The modulator integrated all of the information received and instantly translated this data into a control signal that actuated the injectors," according to an article in Bendixline, a company newsletter, dated Sept. 28, 1956.

In a 1956 Bendix newsletter, company President Malcolm P. Ferguson announced that fuel injection "will replace the carburetor and improve performance." Nearly 50 years ago, he was truly a visionary, but a trouble-free system would be years away.

Ferguson also said in that issue, "Compared to the latest four-barrel carburetor designed for high performance engines, the 'Electrojector' system provides between 10 and 20 more horsepower — achieved at lower engine rpm-throughout the whole range of speeds, boosts fuel economy, achieves quicker starts and warmups, eliminates the 'smog' problem created by unburned fuel exhausted from the engine and is a system with a minimum of moving parts."

yea i kno... I'm a geek

it also went on to say there is only 1 known restored car having this system originally installed.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
i bet John or Jerry could give us some interesting info on the subject.  Grin
Here's your trivia for today: The 427 SOHC (cammer) was developed in 90 days during 1964 in response to Chrysler's Hemi. It was going to be put into Galaxies and be raced in NASCAR. The engine was never approved for use  by NASCAR so  Ford changed gears and used it in drag racing.The 427SOHC never saw use in a production car, it was only available over the parts counter.
Jerry: This was the engine in Jack Chrisman's '65 Comet. The 1'st flip top blown funny car. 
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline GIL_CV21

« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
its pretty funny when you watch NHRA top fuel and funny cars and you see a blue oval or a bowtie on a funny car or a rail dragster then you see the engine , a hemi............ hmmmmmmmm ?

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 09:12:53 PM »
ts pretty funny when you watch NHRA top fuel and funny cars and you see a blue oval or a bowtie on a funny car or a rail dragster then you see the engine , a hemi............ hmmmmmmmm ?
Just one of two Ford Hemi's. The other one being the Boss429.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:11 AM »
YES, another Ford innovation
Joe