Author Topic: New Trailer Wanted  (Read 8603 times)

Offline WetRaider

New Trailer Wanted
« on: March 20, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »
I'm thinking I'd like to find myself a new trailer.  In my head, I keep seeing Mark's GT on that trailer up in Red Wing - the boat sat low, the trailer was "wide" ...
The dinky Sno-Co trailer that's on there makes the boat sit really high - so high that I couldn't put it up on blocks this winter because the motor was only  3-4 inches from the underside of the car port.
I've seen some of you guys find great deals on trailers, and I had seen some about this time last year that were in the $325 range - needing tires, and probably bearings.  What would be a good target price?  Anybody see a nice, low slung trailer for sale? 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
Re: New Trailer Wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Dan, look a little further down this section/classifieds for "good deal on trailers"... you can get an almost brand new trailer from "Bud'sMotorsports" for your boat in the $500-600 range that will fit near perfect.  I know that's a ways to drive, but you won't have to do much with it for many years... just adjust bunks and ready to go.  Don from MO just bought one for his GT-160.  They have a bunch of sizes... check out their web site.  I would like to do the same for my CV-19 one of these days.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:43:47 PM by catchnedge »
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »
There is a guy in SW Missouri by Springfield that buys all of the odds and ends trailers from Tracker.   This one was a couple of years old so I needed to replace the bunks.   I think it may have sat out back in the weather for a while  It has a swingaway tongue and retractable safety cables.   I still need to adjust the bunks a bit - I'm going to grind off the welded ones and add adjustable ones to get the winch stand height right.   I paid $550 for this trailer. Most of his trailers are just one model year old and a few hundred more  Bud was very good to work with.   He also has other items like steering cables for someone that is refurbishing a boat.   It's fun to look through all of the items he gets from Tracker.  I bought a plastic 6 gallon can and hose for $20.

www.budsmotorsports.com

I think he has great deals and will look to find what you want.   I'm happy.

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:45:36 PM »
I hit the post button while you were typing Don!  :D   ...I was thinking the same thing.

Glad you posted pic of your trailer... the GT-160 looks awesome on there.
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'87 CVX-16 Outboard, '88 Johnson 120--
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02:40 PM »
That is awesome.  Thanks for the tip.  My wife's step-mom lives in Springfield ... and wants to spend some time with the grandkids.  Maybe I can work something out in the next couple months that would kill two birds with one stone.  I'll have to give him a call and let him know what I've got and what I'm looking for.  He had one on his site for $625 ... for a trailer that doesn't need anything, I wouldn't complain.  Sure better than half that for one that needs $250 in tires and bearings and wiring and sand blasting and painting ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 11:06:24 PM »
Still needs a little niggling.  I found six bunk brackets which I painted black and will put them on this weekend and then I should be good to go.  Trailering with a nice, wide trailer with the weight of the boat down between the wheels is a much more enjoyable experience.   And much easier to launch too since you don't have to get as deep into the lake.    Don

Offline kert0307

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:27:16 AM »
I've been thinking of getting a new trailer for my cvx16 down there as well Danny. Maybe we can work out a time to drive down there and get a group discount  ;D

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
Don - that's exactly the reason I want need a new trailer.  That, and I'd like it up on blocks for the winter.  Had plans this year, but it didn't work out.  Every couple weeks I'd go out and roll my troller a little forward, a little backward, a lot forward ...

Kurtis - Maybe a good idea.  Surely he'd give us a twofer price. 

Dan O'Connor

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »
You will want to give him the bow eye to transom straight centerline measurement and the width between the wheels measurement so he can look for a trailer for you.   If you can also find a transom shot without a motor that is helpful so he can see how much Vee in the hull needs to be accomodated since some of these trailers were originally for flatter bottomed fishing boats.   I'm not sure how much negotiating you can do.  He's a pretty straightforward guy with low prices.   He swapped out winch stands, did some touch up painting, greased the bearings and had it all ready to go for me and didn't even want a deposit.

Offline 84carlson

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 10:31:27 PM »
I think those are great prices I paid about $1600 for a new shorlander in 2010...Old trailer was a 1976, good trailer but it sat high, the new trailer is much nicer and the boat looks happier....

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 06:46:14 PM »
I finally made contact with Bud.  He's got a trailer for a 17' boat that looks like it will work for me - might be a tad long once the 150 is on it, but I feel like my current trailer is about 18 inches short for what's on it.  I asked him what information he would need to get the trailer set up, he promptly replied that he doesn't do that and whoever told me different was mistaken.  In any case, the price is good and I'm 95% positive on a sell for my current trailer.  If I can get for it what I paid for wheels, tires, bearings, complete spare I'll be in great shape money wise.  The buyer wants to make a flat bed with retractable ramp for his motorcycles.  Pretty soon I'll have a long day-trip ahead of me.  When I'm back, I'll need some guidance on getting the new trailer ready to make the transfer.

Dan O'Connor

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 07:20:49 PM »
I have done it two ways.  One is jacking the boat up with several bottle jacks and moving the boat 18" at a time.   The other is to take two trailers with two tow vehicles to a boat ramp and float it off one and on to the other.  The second method is much easier!

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 07:50:01 PM »
I definitely plan to float it ...
I guess what I meant was that I'll need to adjust the bunks, bow rest, install keel rollers ... I want the boat to sit low, I guess as low as I can get it.

Dan O'Connor

Offline dgmeyer

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »
I spent a whole day doing just that - getting everything adjusted and I still need a few different brackets and bunks.   I hauled it home a little caddywhompus on the trailer but just made sure it was super secured - and I didn't have far to go.