Author Topic: 2013 Meet Accounting & Club budget  (Read 9302 times)

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
2013 Meet Accounting & Club budget
« on: August 20, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
I don't like secrets, and I believe in openness when it comes to club expenses.  Here's where your registration fees went this year.

After it was all said & done, we wound up with $54 left over which will be used either for a door prize or 2 next year, or something else club related...maybe a large coffee brewer?

Total collected from registration (after Eventbrite fees):   $1,974

Website:                                                                    -$120
Food:                                                                      -  $450
Island Campground and Marina:                                  - $1,350

Total Balance:                                                               $54

I think its important to keep in mind, that while we are a club, we don't have a checkbook, we don't collect membership fees, etc...our only goal is to not be 'short' after the meet is over...so kudos to Tim & Maggie for running a tight ship for us all.

If anyone has any questions, please comment or PM me...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline 75starflight

Re: 2013 Meet Accounting & Club budget
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 01:48:15 PM »
That is great, glad to see we stayed in the green! Thanks for the info Doran.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Terry_Curran

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:42:22 PM »
Thanks for posting this Doran. And thank you for all that you did for the meet and for the things you do to keep the site up and operating smoothly on a daily basis that I take for granted.  Thanks again! 
Now if I just get you to do something about tapTalk and my iPad....j/k

Terry
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:44:02 PM by SSV-191 »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:30:02 PM »
I think the extra money in the kitty ( $54 ) should go to Tim & Maggie to pay for there slip at Red Wing !
It's the least we (web site/club) should do for all the work they have done to make it happen ...

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 03:43:32 PM »
Thanks for the transparency, Doran.  I dig it.  Tried to run my business that way in Texas before my customers lost all their money and couldn't buy my product.  It was an open book - my fees were right there on paper, and the customer paid my cost for everything else, including discounted items.  I didn't pad pockets with mark-up by selling things at retail I could buy cheaper somewhere else.

As far as Rathbun goes - I don't plan on any changes.  The way I see it, everyone has to make a reservation anyway - it might as well be with Reserve America for the site (since they are numbered sites).  I don't ever plan to use the event to make money.  If I can keep soliciting small donations from Rathbun Area Chamber of Commerce member businesses, this pays for the food, trophy, etc.  The tips received are very much appreciated, very humbly accepted, and never expected.

I agree with Gregg's idea.  I wasn't there, but I know what's involved in trying to put it together - how many things can look like they're going right until the last minute, how many changes have to be accommodated on the fly ... if there are funds available to take care of something for Tim & Maggie, I'd say go for it.  I wasn't in attendance, so I know my funds aren't in the pot and I shouldn't really get a say, but I enjoyed the pictures and updates from everyone who did attend, and I appreciate everyone's effort to pull it off.

If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
I think the extra money in the kitty ( $54 ) should go to Tim & Maggie to pay for there slip at Red Wing !
It's the least we (web site/club) should do for all the work they have done to make it happen ...

I agree
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 06:23:07 PM »

It has my vote
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
yea, I vote to give them the money too.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
Total collected from registration (after Eventbrite fees):   $1,974

Website:                                                                     -$120
Food:                                                                         - $450
Island Campground and Marina:                                  - $1,350
Tim & Maggie's slip/gas fee:                                              - $54

Total Balance:                                                               $0

Done deal !
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:10:25 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 07:00:04 PM »
Yeah, I was going to say for gas, for all the running around they did to get stuff...or something...but slip fees work too.

Thanks guys appreciate it, I'm good with that.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
Just a thought for the future. A free will collection box for the event planners. In my opinion, any amount collected is not enough for all the hours involved to make it happen.
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:05:04 PM »
Glad the extra funds are going to them. I agree with Dave we should put up a box to help out the runners doing all the work wile we get to relax an have fun..
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:40 PM »
Thanks for the ideas guys.

We'll talk about the freewill offering, but I know I speak for Maggie and Tim, Gregg & Jason in that we just appreciate everyone coming and enjoying the weekend.

If you want to pay them back, offer to bring up the rear in the run down to Pepin one year, man the welcome booth for 2 hours, pick up some trash in the campground, invite & encourage your club friends to come, tow a club member in, etc...I think the best payback is to simply let them have some downtime to enjoy the group time too.  It'll cost you nothing, and you'll all be helping to make this club more and more successful!

Thanks everyone!

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bellj

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 06:34:10 PM »
It sounds like you guys had a great event - a very heartfelt congratulations on that - and it sounds like you have some great streamlining ideas for the future. I especially agree with the comments about pitching in when possible.

One thing that we noticed the previous year was when the morning run to the Lock & Dam took place, I don't remember exactly if it got delayed and later than normal, but I remember that there was some confusion. Anyway, most everyone had taken off and Brian was left to cleanup, so we decided not to go and helped with the clean-up. Now, just so nobody takes that as a criticism, I think that some of the confusion was that some planned on helping with the cleanup when they got back...and I do remember some offering, as well as some surprise that it was almost done, when they got back - so it's probably just the way things worked out due to a later start than expected.

Some of the previous years payment hiccups that might have occurred were probably solved this year with the online reservation system. There was mention of a collection box - which I think is a great idea for both the organizers and club expenses. I had a similar thought even before this years event, because last year we donated a little bit extra to Brian because we were so impressed and appreciative of the effort we could see that goes into these events, and since it seems that part of this event's proceeds goes to the ongoing maintenance costs of the website for the club, since some people like us were unable to be there this this year, I wondered about even a possible suggestion of a PayPal donation link on the main website for people who benefit and would like to contribute to the operational expenses in place of how most other club sites charge registration fees.

Just some friendly thoughts for your consideration, and once again, congratulations on another great event!   :)
Jim, Patti, & Samantha
'69 Pipestone Princess O/B, '57 Evinrude Lark 35
'77 Glastron GT-150 O/B, '78 Merc 700, "The Puddle Jumper"
'77 Switzer GL-20 O/B, '77 Merc 1750
'86 Glastron CVX-20 O/B, '86 Merc 200, "The WHIZZard of Odds"

Offline SuckeredIntoIt

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 07:04:03 AM »
Thanks everyone for the sentiment.  Tim and I really appreciate that you recognize the work we put into the Meet.  However, as someone who works with volunteers every day I don't feel like we can accept any kind of compensation.  I work with volunteers that help provide basic needs for families who are struggling to make it every day, their only compensation is a sincere "thank you" from the paid staff and our clients (and the left over fried chicken I brought them this week).  Their jobs are much harder than what we did in planning this event and they put in a lot more hours.  I see the value of volunteerism and what we did was so minor compared to what others do. The Meet was a success not because of what we did, but because we have a great group of people with a common interest who wanted to have a fun-filled weekend.  I was happy to help organize this event as a volunteer because of the joy this club has brought Tim (and me!). 

I really feel strongly that the leftover funds should go towards something for the club!!
Maggie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 07:16:30 AM »
Maggie ... I knew you'd say that ...

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 07:22:15 AM »
It would seem to me that this club wants to pay for your slip & that would satisfy the members of the club.  It is ok for a volunteer to accept a token gift every now and then ...
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150