Author Topic: '91 19CSS restoration has begun  (Read 18683 times)

Offline bnz433

'91 19CSS restoration has begun
« on: November 17, 2014, 10:07:42 AM »
So, finally getting into the boat part of this project. The last couple weekends were busy getting the garage insulated, etc. It'll be tight until I get it off the trailer, but since I'm working on the interior and engine for now, I'll be good to go.

Starting with the interior, to get a look at how much needs to be done on the floor. I knew I'd be going through the floor, but didn't realize that it was done before, too. And a crappy job. Previous owner threw down a single sheet of plywood, with one coat of epoxy (thinly applied) on the top only. Not even any means of sealing the joint between the old plywood and the new. And the screws were unsealed. Also, beneath both seats, was a mix of screw types ranging from slotted wood screws, to 3" long Philips lag screws. So while I haven't pulled up the newest lumber, I'm expecting some bad stuff lurking beneath.

Interestingly, everything below the rear bench seat and all the way into the engine compartment sounds/feels as solid as a rock. But I'll be pulling up the carpet from the cuddy wall all the way to the engine bay, and may cut a hole or two to get a scope in there just to make sure.

Most of the gelcoat, at least on the shell of the boat, is in good shape. A few nicks and gouges here and there, but nothing I can't handle.

The biggest challenge for gelcoat repair, may be the "wing". It's crazed and cracked all over. May just remove the wing and have it completely re-gelled by a pro??

Engine is clean, no signs of leaks, etc., and ran well (at idle, on the garden hose) for the entire time I was checking this boat out prior to purchase. Once I get into any of the mechanical stuff there, I'll post as well. In the mean time, it's still disassembly of interior panels, seats, etc., just to get to the rotten stuff. I will have to get new lenses for the gauges (they all work, and numbers/needles are all clean/sharp) because the plastic is heavily "etched" from the sun, age, etc.

But all told, I'm pretty stoked to finally get after this project. In one of the pics, you can see that hideous color combinations they used for the interior. I'm torn as to whether to stick with the stock colors or, as the prior owner did, slowly recover in a little less "in your face" (ie - delete the pink, yellow, blue) and stick with the teal and white. 19CSS folks will notice that the prior owner also eliminated the multi-colored pin stripe. I may keep the minimalist look, too....

Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: '91 19CSS restoration has begun
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »
I would stick with the teal and white seats ...

Offline Tmstibbe

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 09:48:35 PM »
I vote for solid white/creamy white vinyl for seats and panels.   If you need a copy of the original brochure, I have one.  I put my 91 css into storage for the winter.  But if you need a photo of something, let me know.   You might be able to buff the plastic gauge covers to restore them.  I have cracks on the wing gelcoat, but not the crazing in your photo.    Tom S.

Offline V153

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:42:50 PM »
I have cracks on the wing gelcoat, but not the crazing in your photo.
Ya, yikes! That's skeery.

Far as the interior: I'd go with "chalk" (a shade off-white) accented with whatever matches the swoosh.

Having said that. If'n yer gonna put 'moto-fox' stickers back on then it don't really matter ...

Btw those seats match the carpet that was in my house when I bought it. From an old Ukrainian fellow named 'Krypczyk'. No kidding. I felt a lil uncomfortable buying something from somebody with no vowels in their name, but it all worked out ...
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline bnz433

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Destruction continues....

Entire interior pulled out.  The rear bench's "bolster" will get restitched with the teal.  The two captain's chairs will get a new panel of teal to replace the pink/blue/teal Miami Vice combo.  But that may or may not get done before Spring...we'll see what the budget looks like when I'm done with the floor, stringer work and any mods to the engine. 

I have to make up a new wiring harness because, upon removal of the cockpit/console, it appears to have been removed several times before...resulting in about 10-15 various "splices", etc.  So I'll clean it up, include some nice plug connectors, just to make future diagnosis, modifications or removal that much easier.  I'll make up a new wiring diagram before I finally put the console on the bench. 

Next step is to finish the deck removal so I can see the condition of the stringers.  My initial plan was to stop at the cuddy wall.  But I may just go right up to the bow.  After all it's only about 6 wood screws holding that wall in place.  Also, unlike the '89-90 19CSS I'm familiar with, this '91 19CSS has NO SKI LOCKER in the floor.  So I may add one in, just to increase storage, but also allows another inspection opportunity. 

Plan to have the console and floor completely removed by this weekend, so I can get a view for how much destruction I have left before I start getting constructive on this project.....

Once I get the deck/stringers replaced, I'll pull off the wing (only a few bolts) and see if I can get after it with a sander and refinish with Awlgrip or Imron as was recommended over on CGOA, but there's a good glass/gel guy near me, so I can just throw it in the truck and have him take a crack at it (pun intended).  But think I'll wait until the floor is back together just to keep it from "opening up on me". 

Happy Thanksgiving!
Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »
That is one LARGE dash board !
We have a few 19CSS owners, but they don't stop in to often, so might take a bit to get your questions answered ...

Offline bnz433

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »
Post-Turkey Day update.  While I didn't get the entire deck out this weekend, I did make a lot of progress. 

1) Console is out so I can start rewiring/refresh as needed (new gauge bezel/covers, etc., maybe some touchup of the finish, etc.).  Right now it makes a nice play cockpit for my boy when I'm fidgeting in the garage!!

2) Finding water in front of and alongside the fuel cell bay (fuel cell bay was dry).  Prior owner's repair attempt provided even more entry points for water, so now all the foam has to come out....all the way into the cuddy, too.  So that'll make my desire of adding a ski locker all that more rational!  See the puddles???  Also, note the poorly filled foam.  Either prior repair or OEM only used 1/2-3/4" holes, with no ventilation during expansion.  So we'll be doing that right, too!

3) Got the fuel cell out.  Got a leak at the fuel level pickup flange, but easy enough.  Didn't realize that there were 15 gallons of fuel left in it (forgot to check the gauge before pulling the console).  And my handpump crapped a hole, so carefully poured it into my gas can (3 times).  It ain't easy hoisting that thing, with 15gal, and carefully pouring gasoline into a tiny hole!!!  Right down the center of the bay is a completely bare (wood) piece.  It's glass tabbed on both sides, but nothing the entire length.  Then, a semicircular hole allowing anything that accumulates to drain into the bilge area.  Not sure if this is good, or bad...but I guess a little environmental leak is better than xxx gallons of gasoline filling an otherwise inaccessible cavity of the boat???

Questions for you folks:
1) Do you generally foam-fill around your fuel cells, or just strap them in?  Either from factory or prior owner, there were 2 wooden (2x4) pressure treated braces which held down the fuel cell and screwed into the 2 stringers (screwed...penetrating the fiberglass, etc.).
2) During the disassembly, I must have removed about 300 stainless steel wood screws, all used in various ways to attach everything from the console to the rear bench and coolers, to cable holders screwed into the floor, etc.  If one is to prevent water from getting INTO the wood (and therefore beneath the deck), what is your method for attachments.  Especially after it's all carpeted?  Structurally, the 2 front seats are my biggest question. 

Thanks, everyone.  And Merry Christmas!
Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 02:42:32 PM »
A few schedule delays (work, family, holidays, etc.), but almost done destroying things. 

Anyone ever see factory poured foam like this??  Lots of voids, pockets, etc.  The more I've dug into this boat, the more it looks like there was major surgery done before...

First photo:  See the "pocket" between the two foam pours....was full of another 10 gallons of water.

2nd photo:  Whoever poured the foam in the bow, didn't think of drainage....so the "mouse hole" that would allow water to get to the bilge was plugged with foam.

3-4 photo:  Notice the difference in floor "elevation" above the hull.  These are the "insides" of the outermost chines on the port and starboard side.  Nearly an inch difference (yes, I know the one pic still shows the old ply, but even with that removed its significant).  So I don't even know if the floor was ever "level" in the boat.  Need to confirm via stringers, rear deck, wing and other measurements.

Believe it or not, the stringers along the engine bay are solid as a rock.  Only the rear bulkhead (just forward of the 350Merc) is soft.  And the stingers are all "sectioned"....IE - NOT full length.  They all stop at intersections with the 2 bulkheads...1 forward and 1 aft. 

Note that there are NO stringers along the keel line??  Is that normal??  I'm thinking of moving the bow stringer to center/keel, ensure drain provision on both sides of it, and include a ski locker on the left side (remember there is a "cuddy" with access to the port side of the console). 

Thoughts???

Merry Christmas!
Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »
" And the stingers are all "sectioned"....IE - NOT full length.  They all stop at intersections with the 2 bulkheads...1 forward and 1 aft. "

Shawn's 23 has the same set up ...

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3740.0 

Offline bnz433

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
Thanks!  Didn't expect that, from a structural standpoint.  But at least know that I have the liberty to do what I want/need to up in the bow. Can't do much about it center/aft, due to the fuel tank and stuff. 

Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 03:36:49 PM »
While Glastron/Carlson designs and style are second to none ... There build quality leave some room for improvement !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:51:31 PM »
Jamie, i think yers does have that side foam, it carries on to the top of the floor.
can see it on the last 2 pix.
i cut mine up about 4" cuz it was wet but i think it will be better to tab the floor on to the hull as well.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline bnz433

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »
I'll cut a test hole to see.  Got a lot of scraping to do anyway to get the copious amounts of carpet glue off the walls.  In the pic with my hand for reference, that was all just resin/glass to tab over a pretty big gap from the original deck and the side wall.  I'll post back what I find. 

FYI - even though this boat was in the water last summer, by the time I got all of the deck off and all of the foam out, I sucked out at least 15 gallons of water!  That doesn't include what was still IN the foam in the hull. 

Jamie

Offline bnz433

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Well, it's been a long, snowy winter, with lots of work travel, kid stuff, house stuff, etc.  So my wife gave me a weekend of no kids (they were all out of town) Valentine's weekend, so I managed to get the stringers and bulkheads out.  I simply used my 18V DeWalt cordless recip saw (wishing I had a corded one....as I chewed through the batteries at 1 pack per 10-15min of cutting) with a very long blade, and let it follow the hull.

I left the 2 side stringers in the bow, as they were solid.  I trimmed them back so that I can create a mortise joint for a) the new forward bulkhead, as well as b) tie in the new mid-boat stringers that run alongside the fuel cell. 

The rear stringers are super solid and strong, so I left them intact.  Like the bow, I'll create a mortise to make a solid connection with the rear bulkhead, and join the mid-boat stringers. 

No pictures of the grinding (sucky job...felt like I was in Breaking Bad) results, but only a couple hours left of that.  My Dremel Ultra Saw worked great for removing the deck, and started out great for the grinding job, but the blade/wheel was destroyed before I got 1/2 through the bow.  And since it was after hours for Lowes, etc., I just pulled out my Ryobi belt sander.  Aside from going through 6 belts so far, it did a great job of knocking everything down nice and smooth.  And with the dust bag on it, it did reduce the dust considerably, when compared to a high RPM rotating wheel. 

I'm shooting to have everything smoothed out by the end of this coming weekend, and templates made for my new lumber.  I kept everything I cut out so far, just to get basic references, etc. 

In removing these stringers, etc., it does NOT appear that they were in any way glued/fixed to the hull.  The bottom 1/2" of lumber pulled up with my finger.  It would appear that only the fiberglass wrap makes the mechanical connection to the hull, and the wood is there purely and entirely as a form, not a structural member.  Could that be true? 

Hopefully I'll be glassing the new structure by mid March, and lay the new deck by end of March.  That should give me time to get the new carpet ordered and laid in, and then start putting the interior back together.  If time permits, and once the deck is on, I'll pull the "wing" off the back and bring it in to a local shop for a new coat of gel (it's crazed/cracked like mad).  But if I run out of time, I may just hold off (it's only cosmetic) until the next off-season. 

BTW - my company repairs power plant generators.  So we go through epoxy like mad.  Each month or so, we have to toss out any expired/expiring epoxy (has a shelf life once put in a can), so I'll be able to get all my glassing epoxy for NADA!!  Just have to get my fiberglass order in, and I'll be rolling.

Jamie

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »
lookin good, its nice you did not have to replace front and back stringers
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline bnz433

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »
Yeah, especially the stern.  Would've had to pull the engine, etc., and I don't have the time for that if I want it in the water this year. 

But the more I cut into it, and the more I noticed that the wood was never adhered to the hull, the more I wondered if they had any function other than simply making a form for the fiberglass.  But at least now, I can a) make some in-floor storage under the cuddy, and b) address the fuel cell filling issues (reroute vents, etc....cuz these boats suck to fill up), c) lighten it up a bit (just getting the water and wet foam out of the hull is probably 300lbs!!!!). 

Hope I can make more progress at a better pace now that most of the dirty work is done!

Jamie

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2015, 01:22:38 PM »
The "Dirty work" sucks !
The rebuild is a lot of hard work to ... but at least it's FUN !

Do it right the first time ... you'll be happy you did ...

Offline Jerry

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
When will you have time to do it over. FIX IT!
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline nes-cv23

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 05:03:57 PM »
This might be a dumb ?, but here goes..  I had a 90 css-19 and it was an all composite floor with no carpet. Made the way they make boats today. Open the ski locker or access covers and you could see molded composite. Was I just seeing things wrong or was this a newer boat with an old year on the title?   Instead of the ser. No. In the glass on the back it had a tag riveted on the back.... It had a pretty hot motor also with a molded in hump on the motor cover that looked like factory, I' ve not seen any other css-19's like it.      How about you guys???
84 ssv-151, 76 cvx-16 ss, 77cvx-20 jet, 90 CSS-19, 78 cv-23, 77 gt-150, 2-78 cvx-16, 79cvx-16, 79 cvz-18,  73 cv-16, 74 cv-18, 89 219 Futura, 76 gt-150 jet, 79 cv-23, 02 Gx-225,  1980 intimidator = done!.. 79 hvp175   Now  done?

Offline bnz433

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 06:18:26 AM »
Jerry - You're referring to making sure I bed the bulkheads/stringers to the hull, right?  I intend to. 

NES - My old man had an '89 19CSS, and it was a plywood deck. I think later '89 models and then '90's all had the gel coated floors with the raised circles.  And those had snap in carpet (as an option).  But every '91 I've seen has the same fully carpeted floors, and not composite/gel coated.  I don't know why they reverted, unless all of the '91's that are out there for sale (with photos on the web) have been redone? 

A guy on the Facebook page just bought a '90 28CSS from my neck of the woods.  That one had the composite/gel coated floor, too. 

Jamie