Author Topic: 1980 CVX-16 Restoration Thread  (Read 32594 times)

Offline 17ireid

• 1980 Glastron CVX 16 Deluxe
1980 CVX-16 Restoration Thread
« on: August 29, 2016, 10:45:51 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm Isaiah and I'm restoring a 1980 CVX-16, and decided to make a thread of it. I will be restoring this boat throughout the year in a high school composite class and hopefully keep you updated and get some help along the way. I bought this boat when I was a Freshman in high school, because I thought they were the coolest thing after seeing one for sale by the side of the road. Anyway I thought all it needs is a cheap paint job and I'm on the water. But, silly me I forgot the old adage (Bail.Out.Another.Thousand) Anyway 4 years (senior in high school), 3 failed paint jobs, and a lot of learning from your mistakes later, I have a completely gutted boat and a new improved plan (also a job so no more being cheap). This boat was/is a basket case and I understand they arent worth much, but hey it's fun, i'm learning, and thats worth a lot to me.

The boat will be restored to factory for the most part with new:
-floor/stringers/transom
-gelcoat (metalflake laser blue, with blue)
-Interior
-Engine (and all that jazz)
-non-original dash and electronics, because I accidentally messed up my plastic switch plate and stuff
-also planning on rechroming a bunch of bits
-possibly rub rail

Anyway sorry for the long intro, heres where I am. Stripping a bunch of rustoleum I slathered on there. Sorry about how filthy it is it's been under that tarp all summer, hopefully these photos will show up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:53:33 AM by 17ireid »

Offline 17ireid

Re: 1980 CVX-16 Restoration Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »
Some more pictures for y'all:

1. As I got it
2. After painting it (the third time) didn't actually look to bad but it probably would have fell apart and sunk XD

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »

Perfect!

Needless to say, we all learned along the way.  Sounds like a GREAT high school project.  And you are correct, they are . . .  "the coolest thing".  :)
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:45:21 PM »
"  This boat was/is a basket case and I understand they arent worth much, but hey it's fun, i'm learning, and thats worth a lot to me. "

True !
BUT ... Once done every one at the launch will comment on how cool your boat is, or how they learned to ski behind one just like it, or how there Dad had one just like it, or etc. etc.
Old Glastron / Carlson's just look cool ... No one at the launch will comment on how cool your new $80,000 ski boat is ...
I have about $8000 into mine, and worth every penny !
Try to find a newer boat that looks this cool for that price ...

There are many CVX16 rebuild threads on here and CGOA. 
 http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=0e69a19db4fce207b7fc0756606a0e35

Can you wet sand and compound your flake ?   You might be surprised how it can shine up with some sanding/compounding/waxing.
Might not look perfect, but could look very good ... Local shop could patch large gouges.
Will cost you about $100 for supply's to try it ... 

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:14 AM »
Exactly! They aren't a good choice for trying to flip a profit but they certainly look like a million bucks! The flake sadly is very far gone, that was the first thing I tried. The flake is poking through the clear, as well as a significant amount of dings, repairs, uneven fading from a cover. I'm looking forward to the re-gelcoat though, I've heard its a ton of work but I'm eager to give it a "shot" :P

For now I'm still scraping, mostly done though. Probably going to wait to get all the stylistic nooks and crannies on the hull when I flip/split it (since I also need to sand off the bottom paint. It's really starting to clean up after a wash with scotch-brite pad and acetone.

Also here is the condition of the metal flake. The hole behind the vent is where a previous owner put a electric lifting car radio antenna and the other mark in front was the first attempt to mount it XD

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:11:12 PM »
I know it's been awhile but not much has happened as I'm waiting to bring it into the shop and start the rebuild (probably in January), but today I got bored and decided to do some work on it. As of now it's almost completely stripped of paint and the real work can begin. Today was a big milestone as I separated the cap from the hull. Separating the transom from the cap has been giving me a hassle for some time now but today I was determined. A hatchet head and a hammer turned out to be very effective by wedging the head between the fiberglass. Now that the boat is split (haven't removed it yet) lm worried about the hull and cap warping? If so what should I do? I hope bringing this thread back after so long isn't an annoyance, I plan to start posting more regularly once the serious work in the shop begins.

Offline Rdewick

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 04:10:57 PM »
Isaiah, here are a couple of pics of the 1980 CVX-16 I restored last winter. It was pretty much the same basket case that you have. There is also a picture of the finished product. It is not factory, lets just say it is a resto-mod.

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:32 PM »
Jee thats beautiful, hope mine can turn out that nice! That Etec must make it scoot along real nicely ;) Here's before and after splitting the deck.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Rich's idea for supporting hull ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=6910.0

Bunch of CVX16 threads on CGOA's pages ...
Some missing pictures...

Try this one, still has pictures ...
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6642&sid=2040ef6ef8d1644cdb466e078bfab805

Offline Rdewick

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »
Yes it does scoot right along, 71.4 mph on the gps. When you restore yours consider using not using any wood. You are young enough so that you want the boat to last for a long time. Ceramic transom pour, nidacore floor, and pvc board for stringers, seat pedestals, dash backing etc... are really good options. Just my opinion though........

Offline Diamond Chad

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
I'd like to  learn more about the ceramic transom pour.  Do you create a form like you would for concrete, mix, pour, and agitate any bubbles out?   How is ceramic come into play?  Ceramic like tile?  How much does it weigh compared to solid plywood / glass sandwich?  thanks..
2012 GTR 160 Collectors Edition
87 CVX-18 5.7 (Sold)
88 CVX-16 115 Merc  (Sold)
57 Dunphy Imperial Musky - 57 Golden Javelin
01 Malibu Sunsetter 21 LSV 340 EFI

Offline Rdewick

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2016, 08:23:18 AM »
In my case I did not split the cap from the hull, I cut out the glass on the aft side of the transom as well as the top edge of the transom. I saved the aft portion to use as a template to replace it with glass after I dug out all of the rotten wood. I then replaced the aft glass but left the top edge of the transom off in order to have a place to pour the new transom in. I then made two triangular buttresses out of glass for extra strength. I cut slits on the inside/fore face of the transom and glassed the buttresses to the transom and the floor of the hull. The buttresses are hollow so when pouring the transom they also filled up at the same time essentially making the transom and the buttresses one solid piece. The transom pour came in one gallon cans with a container of MEK for each gallon. I mixed the MEK into the pour with a drill motor and a paint mixer. Poured it in a gallon at a time with ten minutes between gallons. It took 5 gallons to do my boat. They say it is actually lighter than wood of the same thickness. When it hardens it looks and feels like rock, so there is some ceramic ingredients in the pour. I then rebuilt the top of the transom with glass and then painted the boat and installed the motor etc.... this is the second boat that I have used this and can attest that it is incredibly strong and it will never ever rot.

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »
Dang thats fast! I'm hopefully going to get into low 60's, not a deal breaker if I don't though. I will have an Suzuki 115 EFI 2 stroke on the back and it should be a strong runner (once it starts running  ::).

I am interested in the no wood option but haven't found any options I like yet, but I will look into those mentioned. Haven't heard of the ceramic core, is this the same as Seacast? However the glass on my transom is trash and there is no form to pour into. So far epoxy and wood is what I was thinking for stringers floor and transom. This boat will be treated with a lot of care and won't spend more than a weekend on the water so the wood will probably last awhile with proper application.

Right now heres the boat with front structures and floor mostly removed, need to get a cutting wheel for the grinder to get the edges. Lot of rot in the bow and near the back, stringer has nothing to it. Transom in surprisingly good shape, might as well do it all though!

I'm a little disappointed that the learning curve has been so steep, with all that I know now I could have gotten to the same point in 3 days rather than 3 years. Makes me want another one after I'm done :P

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2016, 02:35:08 PM »
Power washers are great.

Offline Rdewick

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2016, 07:14:57 PM »
Seacast is one of the brands/names of transom pour.

Offline Scooterchop

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 09:12:52 PM »
Keep digging in... I'm three years into my restoration.  And love every minute of it. Hope to have it completed next spring.   

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
Hey,

So the boat is finally going into the shop right after the new year (after Christmas break). I'm very fortunate in that most of the materials will be donated by many of the composite and lumber companies in the area. Anyway my question is what kind of wood are the stringers in the Glastron and also how was the transom put together (aka how many sheets of what kind of plywood). Again, thank you so much for all your help and encouragement in the process!

Isaiah

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 12:01:17 PM »
Read thru this rebuild ...
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6642

Should give you an idea of what to do and your options for materials.

Also read any thread here about CVX16's so you get others ideas.
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=34

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2017, 07:20:05 AM »
I apologize for the on/off nature of the thread. The boat has been buttoned up since the last update, good thing to with the 3-4 feet of snow on the ground. Anyway, THE BOAT IS FINALLY GOING INTO THE SHOP TOMORROW. Cant wait to get some real work done on this beaut. Thank you for the thread Hyperacme (very delayed thank you) I remember reading that somewhere and couldn't think where. Tomorrow, progress should be made in grinding away the final remnants of the floor and removal of the transom. Should be a good time.

Offline 17ireid

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
Finally in! Going to start cleaning it in a few minutes. Even in it's sorry shape everyone was commenting on it's nice lines.