General Category > Members Profiles / Introductions

Am I making a mistake???

<< < (2/5) > >>

Dyounge:
Thank you everyone. Keep it coming!

So, I won't worry about the motor too much.

According to seller, transom, floor, stringers have all been replaced. I'll check for photo proof of that. I am not looking for a major project. To be clear, I am in Minnesota and the boat is in New Jersey, so I would be purchasing sight unseen outside of the photos and videos he will be providing this weekend. I will be requesting some very specific videos based on some of the advice you've provided already.

Having the boat surveyed would be great, but I thought that was only for larger, more expensive boats. Are there surveyors that would take a look at a boat like this for a reasonable rate? If so, any recommendations on how to go about finding a reputable one halfway across the country? Besides a shot in the dark google search of course.

dorelse - these ride rough? i know its light, but with it mostly being a v-hull and all of the aqua-lift II advertisements, I expected the ride to be decent. I am getting rid of an old aluminum 14' Starcraft Falcon I restored partly because it rides so rough. Due to seating arrangement, I figured it would be stern heavy and some smart tabs may be in store. Think that'll help? There will pretty much always be two kids up front but there's not much weight to them!

dorelse:
Well, rough is all relative right?  Its not a true v-hull, so there's going to be some slap to it..but if you're on typical Mn lakes, you'll be fine.

Here's the boat from the ebay auction a few months ago:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Glastron-GT-160-/322479176040?hash=item4b1541b968%3Ag%3AnLwAAOSw44BYeTyq&vxp=mtr&nma=true&si=KiHaU8RA22cra43aI3q7TY%252Bvmzs%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

75starflight:
I own a tri-hull from 1975 and my buddy has a 68 gt160. The rough is only in the bow and mid areas when crossing rough wakes. Other wise it is a smooth and stable ride. Oh and the cockpit of the 68 gt160 does not generally feel the what the bow does.

When a tri-hull bow slaps the water the water curls under the hull creating a resistance that makes it hit hard. Unlike a v-hull where the water displaces  and clears the hull giving a somewhat softer ride.

dorelse:
Yep, I'm not trying to over sell the ride...if you're on your typical MN lake, it'll be great.  I don't know that I'd love it on the St. Croix every weekend...that's all I'm trying to get across.

75starflight:
A video of my 75 v179 and my buddy's gt160 at the meet a few years back.

https://youtu.be/niCtm554guQ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version