Author Topic: In the water by April???  (Read 5528 times)

Offline C512Jim

In the water by April???
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:43:54 AM »
Was watching with my son the great 2017 cgoamn videos on youtube, even commented on the one that looked like it had an 86 cvx18 at the beginning of the video.  Never imagined one would appear later that day that needed a new home.  Picked it up on very wintery one lane open expressway 2.5 hr trip home.  Was late looking at it, never even uncovered but knew it needs floor maybe much more.  Think was a great find after just a little cleaning off road grime and salt.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: In the water by April???
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »
Gel coat appears to be in decent shape.  Trailer could use some love, but other than that, really cant tell what else it might need.   To be ready in April, I would suggest getting it inside somewhere warm for a few days, and spending some time investigating the likely suspects, floor, stringers, transom.   Spider cracks in the gel coat can sometimes be indicators of flexing caused by weakened structures.   Basic checks on the engine and outdrive can be made, but making full running type tests might be a problem, since you would have to go back and perform all the winterizing tasks again if cold storage was in its future.    Depending on your time and resources, being on the water in April if full floor, stringer, and transom replacement is warranted is a bit optimistic.    A few soft spots isn't horrible, enjoy it this season while collecting the components for a rebuild, then do all the tear out in the fall, rebuild over winter if garage availability exists.   Take some time and review some of the threads on here, plenty of info related to floors, stringers, and transoms.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:55:18 AM »
I started a CVX 18 project in March and had the boat in the water in May. I didn't have to do stringers. However I did do a complete paint job and complete new interior.

It can be done.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
That one went for cheap, or was on CL for a pretty good price.
Flake / gel looks good.
GREAT SCORE !

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Code: [Select]
That one went for cheap, or was on CL for a pretty good price.
Agree Greg, if it hadn't been so far away I would have bought it for a parts boat. Better someone grabbed it who plans on bringing it back!
1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:59:48 AM »
Thanks for all the good input, the guy I got it from was very cool and actually gave me a great deal at 400 bucks.  She will stay complete and as close to original as possible.  Anyone poured transoms or stringers yet?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
$400 ... WOW !   There a center counsel on eBay going for that much !

Doug's friend is pouring a transom, but it's "Top Secret" ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=7551.0

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:54:27 PM »
Thanks Greg,
     I am a pretty happy camper even if I have to do stringer and transom work, its definitely worth the cost and effort in my book.  will see if I can download the photo of the bow my friend took with his Iphone the day we sprayed off the salt and slop. 

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
I started a CVX 18 project in March and had the boat in the water in May. I didn't have to do stringers. However I did do a complete paint job and complete new interior.

It can be done.
.              That is an incredibly fast build that I'll give you immense amount of credit for Shawn, but you work at a different pace than most of us.  Possibly his first rebuild.  My CVZ was mostly done in 6 months, never really fully done yet 3 years later.  I'm at the cutting, shaping, and  glueing stage now on the Timi project, with a rough estimate of about 24 hours worked so far.    Now some can do the same over a weekend, while others would need a month.  Bottom line, projects always seem to take longer than expected. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 05:18:13 PM »
Yep that was a heck of a deal looked at though about but way to far of a drive.

Plus I do not need another one.

Good luck on your rebuild if you have any question there free. The answer might be expensive. Lol
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Madbohunk

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
Yes ,what a deal , I looked at it also ,just to far !! Go to you tube type in Frisco Boater, he has about 30 some viedo of a complete rebuild of a cvx 18 . Good luck  !!!
1979 CVX-16

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 05:08:43 AM »
Did this boat come out of Michigan? If it did that is where mine came from. Shelbyville from what I remember. I'm the owner of the one you saw in the videos from the 2017 meet. Nice score. The gel looks great.
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »
Very cool, your boat looks great. The guy I got if from only had it a few months and he was from mid state near Mt. Pleasant Michigan.  I live about 2hrs on a good day north and west next to Traverse City.  We spend most of our time on the Torch chain of lakes.  Would be interested to talk sometime about your boat.

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Very cool, your boat looks great. The guy I got if from only had it a few months and he was from mid state near Mt. Pleasant Michigan.  I live about 2hrs on a good day north and west next to Traverse City.  We spend most of our time on the Torch chain of lakes.  Would be interested to talk sometime about your boat.
Get it done by August and I'll talk your ear off. Obviously anytime before that as well.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 01:39:18 PM »
we actually would like to make a trip out to your get together some year, would be so cool if my two sons would bring their glastrons and I would bring one of ours.  I have been watching the seacast videos, think i am going to go that route and have it ready in a few months.  Usually it takes me a weekend to sew up interior seats, actually hope I can make the head rests detatchable.  For now i think the gelcoat will clean up nice, little pinstripe touch up and it will be my fun boat this summer.  Anyone ever see anyone that has rented out classic vintage boats before?  It was a wild idea just to help support my habit with glastron boats. Still-fishen was yours a complete restoration or did you find it nice like that?

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2018, 07:28:20 PM »
we actually would like to make a trip out to your get together some year, would be so cool if my two sons would bring their glastrons and I would bring one of ours.  I have been watching the seacast videos, think i am going to go that route and have it ready in a few months.  Usually it takes me a weekend to sew up interior seats, actually hope I can make the head rests detatchable.  For now i think the gelcoat will clean up nice, little pinstripe touch up and it will be my fun boat this summer.  Anyone ever see anyone that has rented out classic vintage boats before?  It was a wild idea just to help support my habit with glastron boats. Still-fishen was yours a complete restoration or did you find it nice like that?
The exterior was very nice,  the interior was nice but dirty,  the engine and drive were good,  but the stringers, transom and floor needed to be replaced. 

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
Wow, how much time did you have in the stringer and floor work?  It looks like I could do the stringers with the seacast product for under 300, cant imagine it would take anywheres close to 5 gallons of product.  Do you have any photos here on the site or ones to share of what you did?  I think I might be into something very similar as to yours.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:07:07 AM »
I did a quick search for Tim's CVX18 thread, but couldn't find it ...

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
Thanks Greg, appreciate you looking.  Jim.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 12:14:47 PM »
Friscoboater ... Some one can link ... has a CVX18 build on YouTube.
One of our member has the CVX he rebuilt.
CGOA would have some builds, but missing pictures ...
www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/index.php