General Category > General Discussion

New steering Install, should I attempt myself?! Tips?!

<< < (4/4)

Hyperacme:
Can you post more info on your set up ? Some pictures ?
It was set to one side (trim tab) but can't remember which way.
I cut the fin off, because with the hydraulic steering it didn't seem to make any difference how it was set.

bayrife:
Figured since I'm on here Id follow up on this original post. 
Brought the boat to Shipwreck in Dresser WI, and it was the last time I'll ever be going there.
I had a brand new dual rack and pinion system that was routed for him and he charged me over 500 to lift the motor, connect the cables, and install on the helm. 

Well fast forward two years later the steering was becoming tough again and I was getting frustrated.  But that's not the only problem, he didn't use stainless transom bolts!! So after about one season the bolts he used were starting to rust!  After the troubles I had I took it to Roberts Marine in Roberts Wisconsin, I cant say enough good things about that place.  He looked at the steering and explained that it was installed correctly so the rack and pinion gears were not meshing with the steering column and basically the gears ate themselves.  So there goes my new 350 dollar steering system and 500 wasted labor cost.  Not wanting to deal with it anymore and just wanting my boat to be correct Roberts marine quoted 1000 out the door installed for a new system.  The price of the rack had gone up over the covid times.  Boat steering is smooth as silk now but why can nothing be easy!!

demian5:
If anything, you will learn something new and also learn what its like to be intimate with the gunwale on your boat (and anything that's zip-tied up in the to the cable).

I did mine on my CVX16SS and it wasn't that hard. I just tied a string to my old one when I pulled it out to get the new one routed correctly.

bayrife:
@demian5 reference my above update.  I did most of the work myself but Shipwreck marine really wrecked me!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version