General Category > General Discussion

New steering Install, should I attempt myself?! Tips?!

<< < (2/4) > >>

bayrife:
Makes sense, thanks for the responses guys, Ive called a couple places they are quoting between 3-400 installed.  Think I am going to try to remove the old cables from the outboard, if I can without having to lift the motor Ill go for it, if not ill be dropping it off as I have no lift to take the motor off!

Regardless, so excited to get new steering, itll be a whole new boat!

Hyperacme:
Guessing your cable go's thru the tilt tube, and motor will need to be removed to get old one out and new one in.
Would be a good time to check for transom rot around motor bolt holes.
Believe you had concerns about your transom condition.

I was very impressed with Hannay's ...
Talked with Don about price/parts/time frame, took boat into Hannay's, we then when over job with the guy doing the work, we talked about option and concerns with job, work was done in 6 hours ... Back home in one day.
Worth talking with him ...

bayrife:
Well, success (sort of). Went ahead and tried to tackle this with expected results. We were able to get the cables routed, wow what a relief lost hope for awhile there, the 18CSS is very closed off in the rear big swim platform and splashwell!  What I ended up doing was cutting the old cables near where it attatches to the rack at the helm and attatching the motor mount side to them and feeding them through, thank goodness it worked or I was worried I was gonna have to split the cap there was no way to feed them through by hand!  But like Gregg said I could not remove the old cable from engine tilt tube and I had to bring it in to have it lifted off the transom. Ended up bringing it to shipwreck I’m dresser wi (hannys had no avail until after 4th of July!) shipwreck said he can get it done before memorial weekend so fingers crossed! Ryan at shipwreck also checked my transom quick and said he believes it to be very solid! Can’t wait to drive this thing with new steering, thanks for the tips everyone!

Hyperacme:
Can you / Shipwreck lift your motor up a few holes ?
Or is it already lifted ...

Mechanick:
Can I ask why the recommendation to “raise” the outboard? Do they sag with time?  Im putting a ‘new’ outboard on my cvx16 and had just planned to simply get cav plate level with bottom of hull.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version