Author Topic: CV27 Stock sound system, any ideas?  (Read 2824 times)

Offline C512Jim

CV27 Stock sound system, any ideas?
« on: May 23, 2018, 02:34:24 PM »
I picked up a 1979 earlier this year and it came with what might be some of the original equiptment but missing the receiver.  It has the paperwork from 79 for a realistic equalizer that is still there but no radio, wondered what Mike with the 1981 has in his if original or someone else that may have one or know what they came with?  For now I just bought a pioneer supertunner with the big dial in very good condition, think it would give great vintage sound since close to that year.  Jim.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: CV27 Stock sound system, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
Not sure the OEM stuff, Mike may know, but you're at that proverbial fork in the road, go vintage or go modern.  What's the plan for the craft?  I generally opt for the family experience, so new equipment would be better.  Now if you're empty nesters looking for the vintage appeal, then classic audio might be the ticket.  Maybe a pioneer super tunet with 6x9's?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 09:12:59 PM »
Let me tag @Mike-CV27  and see if he'll hop on...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:27:45 AM »
I have a few modern actual marine radios but like Micheal mentioned will probably go with the pioneer super tuner, the realistic 40 watt equalizer that seems to have been there since new because its in all the original paper work.  I did pick up a set of nice new 6x9s and even have a nice small sub woofer that will fit under the back seat also.  The Equalizer has a fader so will have speakers in the cockpit and a couple coaxels in the cuddy.  I did find owners manual papers on an am/fm 8 track in my papers that came with the boat, but no brand name.  I thought it strange there would still be 8 tracks at that time new being used. lol.  I definately like vintage with vintage. lol.

Offline Mike-CV27

• 1981 CV27 CARLSON YELLOW/GOLD
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
i had no radio at all when i bought it. I put a AM/FM in the radio locker with a 150 amp pusher. 4 box speakers with brackets located in the side shelfs. No holes drilled in any thing other than the screws holding the radio and speakers. That way if i take it out, no one could tell anything was ever there, no open holes, stays original look. Thats just me, hope it helps.
Mikey

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 08:22:26 AM »
Mike, crazy question?  where is the locker that the brochure says it has for a radio?  I found the equalizer/booster mounted in the cabinet just behind he sink where the smoke sliding doors are, seems like there was  a radio there too.  Would love to see photos on how you have things set up.  Looking forward to firing this up for the first time very soon, if that goes well new vinyl will be on its way. lol.  Thanks, Jim.

Offline Mike-CV27

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:21 AM »
The locker looks like a glove box with a key lock, it opens down at 45 degree angle. It is right in front of your knees with you sit in the drivers seat. It is covered in vinyl the same as the interior vinyl. Some times if you hit a big wave, it will pop open and get your attention when smacks you in the knees. It has a wood bottom so you can screw the radio down.
Mike

Offline C512Jim

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
Thanks so much Mike, havent had a chance to do much but cover it up and put away when I brought it home.  Going to be pulling it out this weekend to check it out and fire up the motors.  I know radio is not probably number one prioity, but like to have things there ready when i get to them.  I have always enjoyed watching your boat on the videos from your meets over there.  Jim.

Offline Mike-CV27

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
Thanks Jim, hope everything goes smooth for ya.
Mike