Author Topic: Beware of Fake NGK Spark Plugs  (Read 3232 times)

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Beware of Fake NGK Spark Plugs
« on: June 04, 2018, 09:20:34 PM »
This is good information.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

https://www.driven2automotive.com/blog/warning-beware-of-updated-fake-ngk-iridium-ix-spark-plugs-how-to-spot-them-august-2017/

"You must be very careful when you buy popular items like this for a good price. After receiving the parts I decided to see if there were any cases of counterfeiting. Sure enough NGK are definitely prime targets. I discovered a telltale sign of fakeness, the positioning of printed information on the white part of the plug - it MUST be centered. Even the photos of the item everywhere online shows it centered no matter where you may look. The ones I received were printed too high and this was specifically mentioned in the warnings from NGK about fakes. So I went to the local auto parts store and asked if I could photograph one and they said sure. It had the printing centered properly. Red flags flying now!

I ordered again from a different seller and comprared them upon receipt. The differences were glaring and I am confident that the first order was indeed counterfeit:

The boxes had many discrepancies - they were dissimilar in 10 different ways
the sheen of the metal was off as mentioned at NGK
the printing was off center as mentioned at NGK
the nut-part of the body was different
the plug caps were different color - nickel on the valid ones and more bronze on the fakes"

I searched e-bay for this plug number, and some sellers were selling for $6.50 a plug. A close look at the picture with the "NGK" up high, rather than in the middle, is one of the signs of fake NGK plugs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-NGK-12290-R70-A01-ILZKR7B11-7751-Honda-Iridium-Spark-Plugs-Set-of-6-NEW/153007514174?hash=item239ff5623e:g:e1wAAOSwx8pa6s0e&vxp=mtr

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:24:48 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Beware of Fake NGK Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 10:25:31 PM »
Good read, thanks for sharing.  As is almost always the case, low cost is generally a red flag.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Re: Beware of Fake NGK Spark Plugs
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 06:22:08 PM »
There are also fake Denso sparkplugs, fake Honda air filters, and who knows what else. Let the buyer beware.

This from one reviewer for a Amazon Honda air filter:

This product is listed as genuine Honda, but it is not. It ships from China with a Honda sticker on a plastic bag. Please look at the three photos which compares my OEM Honda filter to the new "Genuine Honda filter" to see why it is obvious this is not a Honda part. The first picture it is clear to see that my OEM includes the Honda name stamp whereas the "Genuine" filter does not. Also, notice the terrible finish on the edge of the filter (bottom-right). You can see where the plastic looks like it is cut...not Honda quality. The second image shows a difference in the bottom of the filters. My OEM filter (right) has a defined angled edge, the "Genuine" filter has a different angle.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:25:09 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop