Author Topic: CV16 leaker ..  (Read 23987 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: CV16 leaker ..
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2018, 05:03:02 PM »
How you getting on with yours Gregg, all sorted now?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Slow but sure .. got all winter to get it done.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2018, 05:22:33 PM »
Be great to see some pics when you have them :) Do you think you'll get her done by next season?

I'm way behind you with my work, will probably start in 4 weeks time before it gets too cold here. Just bought a new lower unit, new tempest pro prop and all the engine parts I need, but really struggling on the diagrams and understanding on the floor, stringers and glass work. I really appreciate all your advice previously Gregg and of course everyone else on here. It would be impossible without everyone's help and support.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should stabilise the shape of the hull before glassing? The trailer I have is a roller trailer and only supports in 4 areas and that's not good for the hull if I'm going to re-floor and re-glass. I also want to replace the main beam in the hull but I don't know what wood to use so any suggestions or recommendations would be great, that's if it's even possible?

Best
Mike.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »
Some have removed boat from trailer then built entire cradles , some have added support to trailer, to hold hull better, some have removed and replaced floor and stringer, then removed deck to repair transom, some have just screwed two by fours to sides of hull to keep hull from spreading with deck removed. Also kind of depends on how long you think it will take to do all repairs.   
My stringer & floor were good so I removed all rotted transom wood, ground out glass, then removed deck and replaced transom and rear stringer/ bilge well and had deck back on by end of day.

For stringer, some have used plywood, others have used solid boards, and other have used poured composite.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »
Thanks Gregg, lots of choices then! :) LOL

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2018, 07:11:27 PM »
I have never replaced my stringer, so never really looked into options.
I say .. How well it's put together is more important then what materials were used.
Of course with in reason …

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2018, 10:21:32 AM »
Do you know of any spec sheets that show what the floor measurements are and what they should be or where I might be able to get some so that I can study what I need to do??

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »
No blueprint's that I know of …
Take pictures, measurements and notes of what thing look like and where they are.
Rip and grind everything out, then use cardboard or foam insulation board for patterns, fit and trim to fit stringer, transom, floor.
Make adjustments as you go.

Use good fiberglass and resin from a fiberglass supply company, not your local home supply store.
Get measuring cups and syringes to get proper mixing ratios, VERY IMPORTANT !
Also get disposable rollers, paint brushes, rubber gloves, acidtone, etc.
Cut to fit fiberglass before mixing resin, have someone help mixing so you can glass with out getting in and out of boat.
You only have 10 to 15 min. before resin starts to kick, so have everything ready to go before hand.

What you use for wood / composite, resin Poly / Vinyl / Epoxy, are things you'll have to decide on.
They all have there plus's and minus's ...

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »
Thanks Gregg, don't feel so bad about taking it on now, will do homework over the next few weeks and may even start the work in January, that will give me time to make sure I have everything I need. Plus going to Punta Cana over xmas so should really start when refreshed and feeling like I have enough energy :)

Thanks again and hope you manage to finish yours soon.

Best regards
Mike