Author Topic: Merc Blackmax V6 135 Reed replacement  (Read 2410 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Merc Blackmax V6 135 Reed replacement
« on: August 09, 2018, 07:14:12 AM »
Hi all,

Is someone able to advise on the best option for when I am replacing the reeds on my V6 135? I have purchased some Boysen reeds as I have been reading how much they should improve my engine performance. My engine is a 1986 and I am sure it has not been split and the reeds are the original reeds, but my question is about the bolts holding the reed plate in place. I  have removed the 3 double carbs and the manual tells me there are 12 bolts to remove in order to get the plate off but these bolts look like 1/4 threaded bolts and if they have been in the engine so long I wonder the best way to get them out? I can't user PB Blaster or any other lubricant as the engine was painted "including bolts" at factory stage and these are still totally sealed with factory paint.

Would it be best to use a blow torch on them prior to trying to release them or should I just chip the paint off and try without any heat?

One other question, with all the bolts that I find are corroded I will try and replace with new but should I lubricate the threads before putting the new bolts in, and if so what is the best thing to lubricate them with as most are hardened steel going into cast aluminium. I want to try and stop them corroding where possible. I was thinking that maybe I could use something like the Quicksilver trim and steering fluid as that is supposed to stop corrosion.

I would really appreciate and thoughts on this?

Best
Mike   

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Merc Blackmax V6 135 Reed replacement
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 07:37:52 AM »
I would lightly tap on a good quality 6-point socket over the painted bolts and use a good breaker bar to get a better feel of what/when the bolt breaks loose.  Given their location, I can't imagine them being as bad as bolts in the lower unit can be.  Doesnt take much effort to break them off, so it they don't break loose easily, a little heat may help.  As for protection on the bolts when you reassemble, I'd recommend marine anti seize, stuff I use is made by Jet, and available on Amazon.  Don't use automotive anti seize, it has copper in it, and just worsens the electrolysis issue in salt water. 
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: Merc Blackmax V6 135 Reed replacement
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:05:47 AM »
Thanks very Much Michael, very much appreciated and I'll take a look online now. It is a good job I asked as I was going to use copper grease!! Just goes to show how valuable experience is, couldn't put a price on it.

thanks again :)