Author Topic: Repowering a Classic  (Read 14469 times)

Offline Dyounge

Re: Repowering a Classic
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2018, 12:25:23 PM »
I did a search on Facebook and found the motor your're talking about. I'm really conflicted. I contacted Pro Tech and the only thing they have in my range is a 1993 Evinrude 115 that they'll be rebuilding soon. $2800. I was tempted, but feel like I should hold out for a Looper or a late model Merc Tower. Now here's a 120 Looper, just what I'm looking for, in decent but not great condition. I'm really not looking for a project and want something reliable and as close to perfect as possible but at only $500 I could afford to have it gone through professionally. Thoughts?

https://www.facebook.com/john.twofeathers.359/videos/290167921763406/
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=290333068413558&set=p.290333068413558&type=1

Thanks Bayrife for the tip!

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2018, 12:30:10 PM »
I think the low price is making me feel like this is another junk motor and I'll just be swapping problems. But is the extra $2K I'd be spending on a similar/fresher motor from a shop worth it? I'll reach out to the guy and ask some questions.

Offline bayrife

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
Hey Dyounge,

Yes the motor I was talking about for sale is the red 120 looper the links you posted, not sure if you found a different one or not.

If it were me I would be contacting "John twofeathers" about the motor he is selling on facebook.  I do not believe he is trying to sell junk and he really wants the motor to go to someone in the glastron community if you watch his videos it looks solid to me.  I did see him last weekend on the Mississippi during the classic glastron rally and he was going up and down the river in his boat no issues.  He states hes put a lot of trouble free hours on the boat and he is very active on the facebook pages so I would imagine he is just trying to get the motor to another enthusiast.  I would think at 500 dollars you really cant go wrong, even if it did need some work you'd be saving a lot vs a pro tech option.  You will need to rig the motor to your boat but he is also including everything maybe he would include the gauges as well, sounds like he is getting a new mercury motor so his existing gauges might not work anyway.  If you go look at it I would run a compression test before purchase just to make sure the numbers seem good, take it on the lake for a test drive to make sure you're satisfied!  You may have to spend some time repainting it or putting new decals on the cowling but again for 500 bucks I don't think you can loose.  He sounds like he would assist in switching the motor over as well.  He is also local in Minnesota so how much more perfect can it get!

Just want you to know I in no way know this John who is selling the motor, but I'm just trying to connect two enthusiasts, and I hope it helps! 

Baylen Rifleman
1989 18CSS, Johnson GT 175 OB
1974 CV-16 - Green, 77' 1150 Merc OB
1989 Futura 180, 150 Merc Black Max OB (in family)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2018, 01:09:13 PM »
For me …
Getting a motor from Pro-Tech would be worth the extra money.
Warranty, rebuilt or gone over and parts replaced, bring boat to them, mount motor, done !

I've never dealt with them, but they have a good BBB rating, and no one on CL is posting they got ripped off by them.
They seem to get and fix new motors all the time. Could ask them to let you know when they have what you want / need.

John's motor (Facebook) could be fine … Or could blow up tomorrow .. Chance ya take with used motors.
Think he has controls and gauges with motor and new props … so it a pretty good deal.

I took a marine mech. with me when I was looking at boats / motors.
I can keep mine running, but didn't have stuff for comp. leak down, elect. tests.

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
Appreciate the quick reply as always. I contacted John and there are two others ahead of me. If they fall through, he'll let me know. Got to ask some questions, but he doesn't know year, model number, or compression. Tilt works, trim does not. Pro Tech is sounding better and better. You get what you pay for.

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:38 PM »
I'd go with the Pro Tech one...local shop to you that can support the motor you've purchased from them...seems like a win.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline bayrife

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2018, 02:41:31 PM »
Appreciate the quick reply as always. I contacted John and there are two others ahead of me. If they fall through, he'll let me know. Got to ask some questions, but he doesn't know year, model number, or compression. Tilt works, trim does not. Pro Tech is sounding better and better. You get what you pay for.

Totally with ya on you get what you pay for. Well at least you have some options now! Hope it works out with whatever you go for!
Baylen Rifleman

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2018, 02:42:21 PM »
Few other thing …

Can you mount new / used motor ?
Can you remove and store your old motor ?
Are you going to try to sell it on CL ?

You'll need new / used controls for new motor, can you rig them ?
Your steering helm and cable are 50 years old, grease in them is like cement.
Think about the safety of your family ! 
Are you going to replace ?  Can you replace them ?

You'll need a new tach & prop .. Maybe.

You can add $500 to $1000 if you have some one or shop / dealer do all the above.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 02:46:25 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline bayrife

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »
Few other thing …

Can you mount new / used motor ?
Can you remove and store your old motor ?
Are you going to try to sell it on CL ?

You'll need new / used controls for new motor, can you rig them ?
Your steering helm and cable are 50 years old, grease in them is like cement.
Think about the safety of your family ! 
Are you going to replace ?  Can you replace them ?

You'll need a new tach & prop .. Maybe.

You can add $500 to $1000 if you have some one or shop / dealer do all the above.

Excellent points Gregg,

Would be interesting to know if the pro tech price of 2800 includes all controls gauges and things needed to mount or if those are all separate. If separate do they have a set to sell or do you have to track down your own parts. Will they install everything to make it turn key and if so how much?

Definitly need to ask those questions and budget time and money. That is one big plus I can give Johns motor on Facebook, you’ll have everything you need to make it run and hook up to your boat.  Control boxes,  correct wiring can be expensive. Along with tracking down correct gauges that will work.
Baylen Rifleman

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
I would guess there price is just motor.
Check with them to be sure.

You would need old motor removed, new motor mounted, control box and box hooked up, tach and tach hooked up (simple plug into control box) but might need it wired for lights.

Guess on used control box would be $100 to $200.

A new NFB steering system would run about $200 to $300, then add for installing …
My guess was to add about $1000 to the $2800 motor price for every thing.

But call them and ask … They might cut you a deal if you have them do it all … LOL

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:10 PM »
Motor and controls …  Must be late 80's early 90's boat/motor/trailer …

Sunbird SPL-170 - $2400 (Zimmerman
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/d/sunbird-spl-170/6682497314.html

Sunbird SPL-170 runabout. This boat has low hours and is in very good condition.
It is a 17 foot pleasure boat with a 88 HP Johnson outboard with shorelander trailer, Hummingbird depth finder, Stereo system with 4 speakers/bluetooth etc.
comes with tube, life jackets, Knee board. trailer does need tires The price is firm no trades. text or call

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
1987 Merc 90 HP and controls, you could test drive motor.

1987 Forester 16' Runabout with trailer - $2250
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/boa/d/1987-forester-16-runabout/6682694737.html

1987 Forester 16' Runabout with trailer
90HP Mercury outboard motor
Ski locker and tripod
Seats recently reupholstered, new fuel line
Worked great last year with the new fuel line. (Hasn't been in the water this year.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 10:10:13 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »
Thank you Gregg. I’m going to hold out for a 115 or 120. I’ve still got David’s ‘88 115 Merc in my head. That’s an admittedly high bar but I don’t think I can go back now! Just gotta be patient, stay picky and the right one will come along between now and Spring.

Offline bayrife

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:41 PM »
Thank you Gregg. I’m going to hold out for a 115 or 120. I’ve still got David’s ‘88 115 Merc in my head. That’s an admittedly high bar but I don’t think I can go back now! Just gotta be patient, stay picky and the right one will come along between now and Spring.

115 or 120 merc or Johnson?
Baylen Rifleman

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2018, 02:12:29 PM »
Just showing some local options for motors in your size / price range.
Remember .. Merc I6's and OMC V4's were same motors from 90 HP to 140 HP, with just carb and porting changes to get more HP.
Speed and pulling power arn't going to be very different between a 90 and 115 hp motor.

The Merc I6's in later versions, like you want aren't easy to come by, and one like Dave's are near impossable to find.

YA .. Not being in a hurry is very good thing .. some thing will come up !  Of course after you find the right motor, one will show up for half the price, two blocks from your house and  in way better shape ... LOL
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:54:21 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »
Just keep in mind, prices will go down as the leaves turn...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2018, 10:24:05 PM »
Of course after you find the right motor, one will show up for half the price, two blocks from your house and  in way better shape ... LOL

:-/ I know! That’ll be just my luck!

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
The Merc I6's in later versions, like you want aren't easy to come by, and one like Dave's are near impossable to find.

Definitely seems like OMC are more prevalent. Pro Tech will have a ‘93 Evinrude 115 rebuilt soon and Supreme Marine has a ‘94 Evinrude 115 right now. They’re newer, easier to work on, easier to find, and my boat is already set up for them. All the signs point to just going that route. But the Merc would just complete the look I’m going for and I never want to settle and think “what if.”

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2018, 10:53:10 PM »
You won't find a better dealer/rebuilder then Supreme Marine !
He's the one of the best in the city's …
The Merc's you want were only built for about 4 years, and are now about 30 years old.

Have you asked about price of motor/controls/steering/gauges/install yet ?

Offline Dyounge

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2018, 09:00:24 AM »
Glad to hear Supreme Marine is a good source. They actually list their available motors on their website. Makes it easy.

I asked Pro Tech about rigging and they quoted $500-600. That included a new control box but not new steering or gauges.