Author Topic: Wanted: CV16  (Read 8170 times)

Offline wpstarling

Wanted: CV16
« on: September 29, 2018, 10:53:24 AM »
Was looking for my dad's 73 CV16 but I'm running out of luck finding it so I'm seeing if there's any for sale that I could pick up, fix if necessary, and enjoy.

Haven't found a whole lot online near florida panhandle.

I don't mind a slight project or no motor.

Thanks,  Bill
1972 Glastron-Carlson CV16

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Wanted: CV16
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 11:42:35 AM »
Welcome to the forum Bill !
Saw your request on FB .. Or maybe it was CL ... for your Dad's boat, haven't seen one like that, but CV16's are pretty command and you shouldn't have trouble finding one, but might take some time to find the right one.

I use "Searchtempest" to do daily searches for G/C's and post them here ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=1077.0

How far would you be willing to travel for one ?
Would it have to be early 1971 to 1973 model ?
Or any year ?

CV16 history here ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=6918.0

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:01:42 PM »
Looking for my Dad's old boat - 1973 Glastron - Need HELP! - $1 (Lake Placid)
https://cfl.craigslist.org/boa/d/looking-for-my-dads-old-boat/6701785865.html

I'm looking for my Dad's boat that he sold in early 2000's (circa 2002-3) in Lake Placid, FL. It was a 1973 Glastron boat (V-162 model I believe). Registration Numbers are FL2931BF and it was blue when he sold it with a white Johnson 140 2 stroke outboard on it.

My dad passed away a few years ago and we had to sell most of his stuff for financial reasons and I am now in a position that I can possibly get this boat back and I'm trying to find it. DMV won't give me the current owner's info obviously so I'm seeing if Craigslist can help me track it down.

If you know this boat or can help email me or call/text me.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 12:32:07 PM »
That's my posting  :D I actually found the guys address who is the last registered owner in florida but he hasn't responded so that makes me assume he either doesn't want to part with it or doesn't have it.

I prefer the 71-73 since my dad's was a 73 but the changes for the 74-76 model don't seem drastic and it still looks good, just looks more like a gt150 to me. 

As far as driving I'd like to keep it to a day drive one way if possible but I do have a friend whose willing to road trip with me it just will be hard to get off work for more than a day right now.

I've been looking at your posting to see and I've actually emailed some people from those postings.  Not in a rush so I know I'll find something, just want it out there that I'm looking.

Thanks
Bill

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
There was one for sale near you but was sold a week ago.
Something will show up ..
Good thing your willing to do a project, because most will be !
There is a guy that will transport for you but will add to purchase price.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:54 AM »
How much is it to transport? There's one in AZ for $250 but that's 2100 miles one way from me. That's like $1050 in diesel for me

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:26:17 AM »
4 mpg, sounds like far more truck than required.  Maybe combine a freight run.  Other possible options, fly in and rent a truck one way?  Contract hire someone to bring it.  Maybe seller would transport for a fee.    Just remember, low cost or free boats can be some of the most expensive to make right.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 09:41:21 AM »

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 05:29:30 PM »
This would be a 1972 or 1973 CV16 with Blue and white.
$1000 isn't to bad with motor and nice trailer.

antique ski boat - $1000
https://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/d/antique-ski-boat/6711345059.html

antique ski boat with a 120 Johnson vro motor
motor runs good but needs a water pump. $1,000
solid hull ask for Charlie phone call only, I only have an
old flip top phone and it dosn't except text or e-mail
thanks
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 05:31:22 PM by Hyperacme »

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 05:30:34 PM »
Ask him for serial number on plate circled in picture for exact year.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 08:47:33 AM »
It's a 73.  Hasn't been ran in 1-1.5 years.  He's not sure what year the Outboard is and I'm not too hip on engines but I have heard the VRO's are pretty good, just use a lot of gas. 

Is there anything to look for if/when I go look at this?  It looks like it's actually in really good condition and just has peeling paint and it's dirty.

Bill

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 10:46:34 AM »
Not a big deal .. but is the year he gave you off a title or off the serial / cap. plate in red circle ?
Titles can be wrong.

You could get $1000 back parting out that motor .. if you wanted to ..

Hard to tell how bad flake is under red paint, look on deck to see how bad blue is under red.
Flake .. if in pretty good shape can be wet sanded / compounded / buffed out to like new, or near new with a little work.
If it's very ruff and you can see / feel the flakes, it might be to far gone. if just dull and cloudy, might be able to save it.

Check under splash well for soft floor, it was a poor design for hull drainage, drain holes were two inches off bottom of floor.
Also any holes in transom were places for water to get in, sealant is old and the motor didn't come with boat when new so holes might not have been sealed right.
Poke around with sharp object, around any through holes and behind speedo tube mounts.
Feel around side foam floatation boxes on sides of stern for rotted wood on transom and wet foam.

With trailer attached to car/truck, stand on motor (be careful) and try to rip it off transom, noting movement of fiberglass / trim pieces / wood, might see a very little movement but not much.

Really can't tell how bad it is until you start ripping everything apart, but with warm humid Florida weather, would bet it has some rot, unless already repaired.

Picture is my bilge drain bowl, hole was drilled for hull drainage but not sealed and rotted, bottom of floor was sealed with resin, but water couldn't completely drain so splashed around and rotted.
Speedo pilot tube mount holes were not sealed and water got in and wood rotted.

Almost any CV will need transom / floor repaired. There 40 plus years old and had drainage problems.
I can link you to my transom / floor repair thread if you'd like to see what your getting into .. LOL 

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 11:14:22 AM »
yea i love looking at projects and seeing how far i'm getting into it lol.  I'm going to take a friend of mine who is into classic boats (and classic VW's) so i'll have an extra set of eyes.  I did notice in one of the picture it looks like the skeg is broke, I didn't notice that when I talked to the guy so I'll have to ask him about it if I go look at it. 

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 12:22:12 PM »

Welcome!

I give you credit for trying to find your old boat.  I'm not sure how you found out the last owner but that is impossible in Minnesota.  The DMV and DNR guard that information with intensity here.  But, you have it; I'd pay the last known owners a visit.  It sounds like your ok with a project, so expect that on your old boat and bring cash.

I'm sure the market for boat sales is different in Florida but up north there are a limited number of boats for sale with winter approaching.  Most wanting to sell will wait till early spring to even list the boat for sale.  Although serious deals on boats this time of year are possible.  Florida will undoubtedly follow a similar path but to a much lesser degree.  What I'm saying is "Be Patient".  Wait for the best boat to come along that you like (condition, color, engine type and Horsepower)

Here is the link to my floor rebuild for your thoughts:

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=5298.msg71670#msg71670

Best of luck.

David
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 12:41:14 PM »
Just wondering how far you plan on going for restore ?
Money no object full restore back to original or make it safe and solid ?

Can you do rotted wood removal / grinding old glass / replace wood and fiberglass ?
Or would you have someone or shop do it, or some of it ?

Would it be OK if flake shined but had some chips, cracks, gouges, fade ?

Can you work on motor ?
Like replace impeller / etc. ?

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
well, if the transom is shot and won't safely hold a motor then I'll go farther than if it's fine and I need to replace a section of floor board.  Prefer safe, solid, and useful, not a trailer queen for sure.

I can do the rot removal and re-fiberglass.  My proline had a Seadrive that I had to remove and patch holes in the transom (1 ~5.5 inch hole and 1 6x5 inch hole) then install bracket and outboard so I've got experience with it, although I'd love to have $$ to pay someone :)

as long as the boat doesn't leak then I can deal with a chip/gouge here and there. 

I can do motor work but I'm not very good with diagnostics so unless it's a common/obvious problem I usually end up taking it to mechanic or bringing my father-in-law over.  I can do the impeller/water pump.  But if the boat needs a good bit of repair to be usable I'll probably part out the motor to pay for repairs and save for a new outboard while i fix it since I've got another boat to use in the meantime (in FL I can use the boat for most months).

Bill

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 01:23:02 PM »
Finding a CV with original transom / floor / stringer in good shape would be very hard, if not near impossible ..
Unless already repaired, I would just plan on redoing wood on any CV.
Even one that's been repaired could be do poorly or with wrong materials ..

If floor seems solid, check under carpet for new wood on top of old rotted floor.
Some stringers are wrapped / covered with fiberglass better then others, seem like how well just depends on the day or guys that did the work.

If there's a metal / aluminum plate on stern, that could be a sign of bad transom with a quick repair, kind of a band ad.

CV's are pretty easy to repair compared to other G/C models.
Floor / stringer could be replaced with out removing deck, but transom would need deck removed to be done right.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 01:32:05 PM »
I have hundreds .. if not thousands .. of every model of CV pictures, so if ya need to see anything .. I got it .. LOL

CV16 history
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=6918.0

Greggs Profile of "Boatless"
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2666.0

The NIGHTMARE begins ....
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=3611.msg42708#msg42708

CV glassin & grindin' ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=4062.0

CV16 leaker ..
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=7823.0

Below are pictures of a 1973 CV16 in perfect original shape ..

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 01:33:44 PM »
More ...

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »
As an update, I actually spoke to the last registered FL owner for my dad's boat and he did indeed sell it back in 2009 but he doesn't remember the guy's name or where he lived so it's definitely a dead end.  He did tell me though that the boat had no more seats or floor and was in really rough shape when he bought it and when he sold it, it was because the engine seized up.  So I'll be looking at the one you linked Gregg sometime this week.

I had some questions that I thought of, is there a reason that so many people move to stern mounted gas tanks from the bow mounted ones?  I figure for skiing and pulling tubes, etc the bow mounted one would be better.  Also, where would I find the original blue paint?

Bill