Author Topic: What transom repair kit (bellows and gimbal bearing kit) should I get?  (Read 1648 times)

Offline Scott in nh

Pre-Alpha

Mercury is About $230, but is said to still have made in China parts  - is it worth it?

Many others are under $100 - which one isn't junk?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 01:50:26 PM by Scott in nh »

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
I ordered a sierra one and a fumble bearing from Amazon and put that in a couple years ago. I don’t recall having any specific problems with it I know that some people just don’t like Sierra Parts.
I couldn’t find a record so I may have ordered it on eBay, but I recall buying a GLM brand one as well and that going in just fine. I believe any of those kind of parts you buy are going to be made overseas, my theory is if you buy a namebrand at least you have a chance of there being some quality control somewhere along the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

Thanks,

The outdrive, like the rest of the drivetrain, appears to have been maintained and it likely got new bellows and a new gimbal bearing when the engine was changed.

With that in mind, I may not replace the bearing - it is smooth as butter and just needs to be regreased - thoughts?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
If the bearing is smooth I wouldn’t hesitate to leave it in there, but I would change the Bellows. both the 1900 and the balharbor had really nice looking bellows when I put them together, I ended up having to change both of them after a year, and of course the bearing as well seeing as we washed all the grease out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
Scott. The newer bearings from Mercruiser are greasless. There is no grease hole in the bearing. Could you have a newer bearing or is it the older greaseable style?
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
The last gimbal bearing I replaced has no provision for grease, just a guess, but maybe by that design water can't get in as well?  I've used the Sierra bellows before with no issue, but I pull my drives every year to check.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Scott in nh

Definitely not a sealed bearing.

No grease nipple either though - would the hole for it have to line up with the slot?

How do I regrease it?

Should I just get the pivot tool to make changing the bellows easier?

If I have it that apart, should I just get a sealed gimbal bearing and replace it?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
The style of bearing that accepts grease must have the hole lined up in the bore.   I used to just put a dot with a perm marker to make sure the alignment is correct.   Changing the bearing might ease your worries for little cost, but insure your alignment is spot on so the drive slides in and doesn't cause undue wear on the bearing or coupler.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude