Author Topic: is there a HEI male post type distributor cap for the Mallory distributor?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Scott in nh

std. on a Mercruiser 898?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

Thanks Joe,
I found that one, but the dimensions I found (and cannot re-find now) showed it well over 4" diameter, what is on there is 3 5/8".
It needs to replace Quicksilver PN 391-5075Q1

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
I have had some luck in the past with taking the part number from the tag that’s on the distributor and searching off of that, when the mercury manuals don’t seem to match up with what I have. I have had to do that several times as the small block Ford’s had four different distributors available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

The best I can tell a cap with positive spark plug wire terminals does not exist.
I can convert my existing cap with these from MSD:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/MSD-ASY10124-Power-Tower-Wire-Adapter,294274.html

Probably $80 shipped and I still need a new coil, so let's say $130
Or should I go with a HEI kit that includes everything for $330 and sell my hot-spark equipped, new cap and rotor, and distributor?
https://ateamperformance.com/product/8-cyl-marine-est-kit/?msclkid=0b5abf6bea0715d3ba7bdf8ccefddbbe

Thanks,
Scott

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
May I ask why not use the proper cap for your current distributor, then plumb it with wires that fit?  My 898, 305 uses a Mallory YF 520 dizzy, and I use the Mallory crab caps.     Another possibility might be to cut off the HEI ends, and crimp new contacts on the ends to fit the cap.   Seems like a less expensive way than adapters, maybe not?   The new system is an option, albeit somewhat pricey, but you would be on the water
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
Some of that kind of comes down to personal preference, but I think I would be more inclined to replace the wires and go with the readily available cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

it is a personal preference thing, and the male towers have advantages - that is why it was changed.

The wires I bought are heavy duty, beautiful, and both ends are also sealed against water with perfectly done shrink tube - they are spark plug wire *Censored*...

I was sure a solution existed and didn't think it was going to be a problem.

The motor is not in the boat yet so I have time. Another set of plug wires or the adapters are about the same cost  - so not a money thing unless I want to spring for an actual HEI distributor.

I appreciate the input - thanks

Offline Scott in nh

I decided to go with the HEI distributor kit

I've upgraded cam, intake, fuel, and exhaust systems - why not ignition system too?
On other automotive rebuilds I have done in the past, I feel like I have left performance and efficiency on the table by not upgrading the ignition system because I already had one that worked.

So I have a Mallory distributor off of an 898 in great condition, with a new cap, rotor, Hot-Spark module, and the original point plate for sale. If you are reading this and want it for a boat you have, I will give you a special deal. Otherwise it will probably be on either eBay or FB market.