Author Topic: Official Glastron Classic 2009 informational thread  (Read 49541 times)

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
Official Glastron Classic 2009 informational thread
« on: May 25, 2009, 08:41:49 PM »
Greetings CGOA Members!
This is the first official planning message in regards to the 2nd Annual Minnesota Glastron Classic 2009.  The dates for the annual meeting are August 21st, 22nd, and 23rd at Island Campground on the Mississippi River at Red Wing, MN.

In response to the comments made about last years tremendously successful event, we have made planning efforts to enhance this years event to create an even more hospitable environment.

I personally went to our camping location today and have made all of the proper arrangements in advance of our event.  I am very excited to relay the following information in regards to our accomodations.
The campground can be found at http://www.islandcampingandmarina.com/index.html

1) We (currently) have 6 RV sites reserved with more available should we get the response from our members that they are needed.  These RV sites have water and power at each site.  The cost for these sites is $32 per site per night for up to 4 people. (We could put 2 tents on each site and split the $32 between two parties).  We have 6 sites reserved and they are #'s 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, and 4.  You can see the map to the RV grounds here.  http://www.islandcampingandmarina.com/Maps.html  Please note that we are directly across a gravel road from the enterance to the marina where we have many slips available.

2) There are many very nice facilities available to include a 40x40 public pavilion that is located 150 feet from our RV sites.  This location would be perfect for meals and shelter if there is rain.  it could be a public meeting place for the group.  There are also flush toilets and showers just across the road.  The campground host has informed us that there is plenty of parking and as many free visitor passes as needed for people that are joining our group for social time but might not be staying on site overnight.

3) The Campground has a very nice boat launch with a small courtesy dock, and the host is going to be waiving the launch fee for our group.  There is plenty of parking for boats and trailers under the highway 63 bridge (inside the campground.)  I strongly recommend that people that are coming for the day, launch at this campground and reserve a slip for the day (only $15 at the discounted rate for the boat.)  This way we could have a group gathering place with shelter if there is high wind or weather.  There are no convenient public docks or sandy shorline around the campground, so the rented slips would allow you to get out of the boat and provide access to the restrooms, showers, and public places.  Since we have no launching fee, I would like to be able to support the campground as well as ensuring that we recieve the best treatment in future years.

4)  The host has been generous enough to give us lower rates on slip rental.  One of the major comments about last years location was the lack of sandy shore to beach the boats.  This year, we have chosen a location with ample boat slips available for rental.  I ask that as many people as possible rent slips at the campground since we can only get the discount if we have 10 boats of more.  Go to the bottom of the page at this link http://www.islandcampingandmarina.com/Maps.html to see the marina map.  He has offered to reserve all available slips for our group.  He has agreed to rent out no transient slips to people outside our party.  Currently that includes (but is not limited to) slip #'s 34-44.  Please note that our camp sites are directly above the catwalk and only about 100 feet from the slips.  It could not be more convenient than to have your boat in the slips.  Normal cost for the slips is a flat rate of $7 plus a dollar a foot for your boat. (So, a 16 foot boat would cost $23 per day).  He has offered to give us a flat rate of $15 per boat per day regardless of size.  This is a good price, and although you are welcome to pull your boat out of the water at night, I would recommend that you leave your boats at the slips and then we can save space at the sites for rv's and tents.  Please note that the available slips are 30 feet long, so the host has said that we could put two 16' boats in one slip if we need the space.  The host has also agreed to have the power washer available so that we can clean our boats on site before leaving the grounds.  He is very accomodating, and is excited to have our club at his facility.

5) The Harbor Bar and restaurant is within a short walk of the campground.  The host has asked that noise be kept to a minimum after 10pm and quite hours are enforced after midnight.  Anyone who would like to have some drinks or stay out later than midnight are welcome to stay at the harbor bar until 3am, and are simply asked to walk to and from the bar and return quietly.

6) Pets are allowed in the campground but should be leashed and any waste needs to be removed by the owner.

Those of you that attended last years meet can attest to the fellowship and enjoyment of a great event! 

Here is what I ask of you...

1. Please RSVP (By July 1st) to cgoamn@yahoo.com with the following information (Please answer all the questions).  You can copy and paste the following questions with answers into your e-mail.
Please respond even if you are coming but will not be camping!  I hope to create a roster of everyone that plans to attend in any way.

A. When will you be arriving (Date and time estimated)?
B. Will you be camping with us or finding your own accomodations?
C. If you will you be camping, will you be in a RV or in a tent?
D. How many people in your group?
E. How many boats in your party? (Please include the boat model)
F. Will you be renting a slip?
G. If you are renting a slip, what is your boat length?
H. What is your e-mail address and phone #
I. What is the name of the party representative for your group?
J. How many nights will you be staying?

This information is all very important to my planning and providing the campground host with the proper information.  If you intent to camp in the RV sites (where the main group will be. Tents included.) I ask that you send the $ amount of the camping to me by August 1st.  I will then coordinate all of the payments and send that to the host.  Payment can also be made at the time of arrival, but I cannot promise specific accomodations.  The rates are as follows... I can take paypal but prefer a check to Brian Bergstrom, 2312 7th Ave East, North St. Paul, MN 55109.  This is only to ensure that the cost of the reservations are covered in advance and we know how many people are going to be staying in the campground.

RV sites - 6 available (first come first serve, but more may be available if we need.  As is, we can hold 12 tents, or a combination of RV's and tents.)
    - $32 per night for up to four people - If we can get 12 parties of 2 people each, we could split the cost making the charge $16 per night per tent. (It will save is money to have more tents).
            - RV's will pay the full $32 due to the size, however, full hookups are available
Tent Sites
  - There are accomodations for people to come without rsvp but they may be required to stay at the tent sites slightly away from the group for $10 per person per night. There are no power or water hook ups at these sites (I recommend an early rsvp and staying with the group).

Boat Slips
    - I highly recommend renting a boat slip and storing your boat in the slip for the duration of the weekend. There are not any good beaches at the campground, so this is the best and most group friendly option.
    - $15 per day as long as we have 10 or more boats.

Total expense for a party of two people and one boat for two nights would be $32 per night (camping) plus $15 per day (slip fee) = $64 + $30 = $94

Please note that if we have more than 6 parties of two, the expense for the camping will be reduced.  The most ideal situation would be to have 12 or more parties of 2 which would reduce the camping expense by 1/2.

I will be creating a spread sheet of all registrants and your requests for camping and boat slips.  I can also calculate the amount owed for camping and slip rental and will e-mail each person with an amount due for what you request.

I strongly encourage you to respond soon as this looks to be be a tremendous event!  We will even be hosting a Saturday evening meal / party with awards and parting gifts!  Don't miss out!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:37:49 PM by Administrator »
Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
Re: Official Glastron Classic 2009 informational thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
Ok all, I'm still waiting for reservations and RSVP's from many people.  As you all know, this is an event that you don't want to miss, so let's get our reservations in early so that I can ensure that we have the space we need.  As of 5/27 I have 9 rsvp's and confirmations sent.  I will keep sending these reminders until you all respond...

Thanks!
Brian
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
Here are some pictures of the campground.  Included in the pictures are the Pavilion, Parking Areas, Bothrooms and Shower building, some of the shoreline outside the campground, the boat ramp, the RV camping areas, and the docks, Tenting Grounds, and the last two pictures are the area we have reserved.  It's a nice area, but it is more "commercial" than last year.  We are going to have a great time!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 10:41:21 PM by Administrator »
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 02:11:37 AM »
WOW!  I can't wait!  Looks beautiful!
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:03:29 AM »
Looks great! I think the boats will love the slips!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
A question was posted to the CGOAMN@yahoo.com e-mail.  "What is the basic timeline for the meet?"

Here is my general answer...

We do not have the timeline set yet, but based upon Last years experiences, Friday is an open time for introductions, camp setup and boat prep.  Food will be on your own on Friday night.  Then on Saturday morning, I am going to put together a nice breakfast buffet from 8-9am...  Then we have coffee and view the boats from 9:30-10:30 or so as the people doing the day trips arrive...  We are then going to organize on the docks and I would like to be leaving at 10:30am heading south toward lake city.  there is a public beach at Hok-si-la park with bathrooms and great sand (This is the campground that we camped at last year, and should be roughly a 20 mile trip one way)...  That will most likely be the meeting place during the day.  Lunch would then be on your own there or in lake city.  Lake City has a nice marina as well as restaurants.  We will hang out on the beach for the afternoon, then we meet back at the Island campground pavillion for a dinner cooked by me from 6-7pm.  I'm planning on a fish fry again if that's ok with the group.  Evening cruise if you choose at your own pace, and campfire with the group in the later evening.

Again, this is the rough plan...

The only hard time will be the time we leave as a group for the club cruise.  Please try to be on time for that portion of the event.

Thanks all...  Remember, this is a rough timeline

Brian
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:10:42 PM by Administrator »
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline AndyBean

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:39 PM »
Brian:
I'm thinking about coming in Friday night or Saturday morning and leaving Sunday night.
Any hotel reccomendations? Also, do you think I can catch a ride with anyone.
Andy Edson
www.andysclassicglastrons.com
1972 GT-160 (yellow)
1980 Intimidator
1986 CVX-18
1977 CVX-16 Deluxe
1969 GT-160 (red)
1977 CVX-20 Jet
1967 Carlson Challenger
2007 Malibu 247
Orange County California USA
www.andysclassicglastrons.com
www.insurethetoys.com

74 Carlson

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 12:02:41 AM »
Is there a time when the park will let us in on Friday, I was thinking about leaving early and do we need to bring are own camp fire wood?  Steve.

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 10:24:34 AM »
We ARE allowed to bring firewood...  I am planning on being there around noon or sooner on Friday.
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline hartmnky

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 04:08:16 AM »
Think we're going to make it! Sorry for the late RSVP Brian. I see you were in my neck of the woods recently. Anyway here's our plan.

2 in party.
Hopefully be there 7pm ish on Fri. Depending on work.
Tent camping for two nights. Hopefully there's still room with the group.
Will use slip if they're still available.
 Just one boat, '75 CV 16 O/B
You can reach me (Jon) at emailjonb@yahoo.com.

C ya soon ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 05:16:36 AM by hartmnky »
Appleton, WI
'75 CV16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 08:18:06 PM »
Great!  It will be $94  We will do the best to Keep you in the main group...  Everything is centrally located.

Thanks for the RSVP!
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51:43 PM »
Ok Everybody!  Now is the time to make the final push towards the 2009 Meet!  I think that I have done all that I can to make the pre-planning of this event a success.

As of right now, we have 62 registered attendees!!!

This is far more than we had last year!  And...  this does not include the people that are going to come and haven't e-mailed me...  I don't know why, but they are out there!  :)  Just as long as they come, that's all that matters.

I am including a excel sheet that I have been using to follow all of the reservations.  I have not been able to assign slips and sites to the bottom people on the sheet since I have been out of town and do not know for sure what other slips that we have.  Please understand that there IS going to be room for all of us.  We simply might have to be a little flexable as far as the location of our tents or our slips.  I will do my very best to assign each person a slip as you arrive, and with any luck, it will be yours for the duration of your stay.

I am honored to be a part of this group, and I am really looking forward to hosting this event and spending time with all of you.

Please note that we will be needing things like the communal items that we can all use.  Screened in tents, fire wood, tool kits (Steve :) ) Charcoal, lighter fluid, lawn games, pot luck style foods, sun screen, bug spray, bottled water, etc.  Please let us know if you plan on bringing things for the group so that we don't get too much of a good thing.  Andy (our friend who is flying in from California with his son) has already volunteered to bring the plates and disposables for the whole group.  (Thanks Andy!)

I will be including a more detailed e-mail of timeline, instructions, maps, and the like as we get a little closer!  Please look at the excel sheet and not me know if I have missed anything.  Remember, I'm trying to keep all the info straight, but I may have missed a few things, and it's not yet complete.

The most important thing is that I have your name, and your# attending correct.  Beyond that, we can work it all out when we register!

You all are awesome!

Brian
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:12:47 PM by Administrator »
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
  • 1977 SSV 176 1989 CV 23
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »
Brian,
My info is correct for now.
We are hoping to change the boat model from V-174 to SSV-176  ;D
I'll keep you posted
1977 SSV-176 / '85 115 Merc. - Mine
1989  CV 23 / 350 - 270hp - Kelly's
1968 V-174 / '73 140 I/O - Gifted to Son
1971 Seaking 14' / 1958 Evenrude 7.5 - Gifted to Grandson

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:23:13 PM »
I'll bring plenty of firewood.

Never got an email Brian if you sent one out with an attachment.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
Jason, the excel list is just above the pictures in my last thread post.  It says "Current list.xls"  is a bit hard to see with the two pictures right there...  Click on that, and let me know if you can open the list.
Brian
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 CVX-16

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Well, I'm starting to get a wiff of CGOA 2009 fever...is someone going to drill a hole in the Bayliner if I bring it?  ???

Seriously...don't want to ruin the pictures of all the Glastron with mine.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 10:09:46 AM »
Nawwwww .. don't worry about it.  I'll just photoshop it out of the pictures!  I could even put a swoop on the side of it and drop a CVX windscreen and some intimidator exhaust on it!!
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
Bring it on over - Sean knows a great place on the Mississippi for you to do a speed run  :o

J/K - Jim

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »
Bring it on over - Sean knows a great place on the Mississippi for you to do a speed run  :o

J/K - Jim

I'm guessing there's either a rock there or water depth is about 6"?
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Tonka Jim

• Donate members
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »

I'm guessing there's either a rock there or water depth is about 6"?

I'm guessing both, he and Jason were running hot up the Mississippi until both went 'THUD'

If you read thru the second half of 'Boating 8/9' you'll see he ended up with a hole in his boat  >:(
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:25:44 PM by 174-Jim »