Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Classified / Wanted to Buy / Re: 1979 CV27 Project Wanted
« Last post by C512Jim on Today at 07:27:15 AM »
Thanks, Jeff has been great help in the search.  Nothing solid yet but agree the would be so much more work because of their size and layout.  Nice thing is there are alot of boats with the 260 mercs that can donate the drive system. 
General Discussion / Re: Timi time
« Last post by still_fishin on Today at 06:00:48 AM »
This sealed/not sealed cavities is turning into another plywood/marine plywood "discussion."
Vendor and Repair Resources / Re: Upholsterer's
« Last post by Hyperacme on February 23, 2018, 10:57:51 PM »
General Discussion / Re: 1980 CVZ 18 restoration
« Last post by Hyperacme on February 23, 2018, 07:48:42 PM »
" Contacted a 3D printer "

Did he give you a price estimate ?
It will need to be chrome plated also ?

As you know ..Hard to find item ...
General Discussion / Re: 1980 CVZ 18 restoration
« Last post by Chippy on February 23, 2018, 06:42:12 PM »
So I have not been able to find a new blower vent. Contacted a 3D printer here and looks like I will be able to have a couple made up. I will be dropping off my one intact  vent for scanning next week and will update.
Also new SEI leg is in so hopefully start putting engine back in the next week or two.
« Last post by Plugcheck on February 23, 2018, 04:17:08 PM »
I suppose heavy abuse could crack the stringer or bulkhead allowing for a gap that water could find its way in, but even then it is foam filled and will require long term contact before much absorption could occur.   As for any gaps, I plan to pour foam until nearly full, then use some of the softer "great stuff" type foam moments before gluing and screwing the floor pieces down.   As for the floor pieces, I just finished putting a cloth/resin layer on the entire bottom of the floor.   Once glued and screwed, I will sand, treat, peanut butter all gaps, then treat, add 24 oz woven roving to the floor to hull perimeter, then cloth/resin layer overall to make smooth and waterproof.  Seems to be the front runner in my interior design to make a painted/ruff deck surface so its easier to clean and moisture runs off to the bilge.
« Last post by Hyperacme on February 23, 2018, 02:48:14 PM »
I think even the small amount of condensation from small voids in foam, won't amount to enough to cause problems.
Just one of the con's I've heard stated about sealed floor.
Classified / Wanted to Buy / Re: GCOTD
« Last post by Hyperacme on February 23, 2018, 02:24:34 PM »
Not G/C's but super cool boats ...

4 TWIN ENGINE CATS 1960-1961&TRLRS - $1195 (Elk River)
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/csw/boa/d/4-twin-engine-catstrlrs/6481087968.html

These are fiberglass antique collectors. 2 Powercats,14'&16', American Mark 15', Magnolia 16'. I've only seen one other Magnolia in the U.S. Roadworthy trailers & spare included. No engines included but I have old white 6 cyl, Mercs available. I can mail you pictures. Own a boat very unique!!! NO TEXTING!!!!!! call 24hrs
« Last post by dorelse on February 23, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
If there are no air cavities, and its sealed foam, there's no air to condense, so a permanently sealed & foam filled area shouldn't 'get wet'.  I think the only issue is making sure that it stays sealed.  No cracking, no separation, no way for water to get in.  Our boats are low enough that wakes/waves can get in over the bow/stern/sides...and sometimes you get caught in the rain too.

So...if you're going to seal it up, the underside of the floor has to be sealed, essentially everything so water can't wick up via the wood into any sealed area.  If you do a good job, no reason it shouldn't last for decades.

Option B is to keep it all open enough than you can open it up and leave it to dry out fully.

I think they're both valid options.
« Last post by Hyperacme on February 23, 2018, 02:07:01 PM »
Guess I'm just saying ... Lasted 25 years done half azzed ... Should last 50 years if done right ...
Pro's and con's with any method used, so it's what ever idea sounds best to you.
Hope ya last another 50 years Mike ... I hate funerals !
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10