Author Topic: Any one going boating this weekend ?  (Read 14625 times)

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Any one going boating this weekend ?
« on: August 26, 2010, 08:50:31 PM »
?

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Re: Any one going boating this weekend ?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:48:15 PM »
I am trying to get my two sons and new daughter-in-law to go boating this Saturday afternoon around 3:00 PM. from St. Paul Park to Hastings dam and back. Time may not be right for the group.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:04:42 PM by David »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »
new daughter-in-law

Congratulations Dave!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 07:31:34 AM »
" two sons and new daughter-in-law "
You might need a bigger boat Dave !
...LOL

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 07:57:44 AM »
We'll will be on the St Croix between Prescott and the swing RR bridge on Sat and Sun.  Conner wake boarding, Pam floating and just tooling around.  Mostly hang in the north bay of Kinni. 
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175

Offline Hot Carl

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
I plan on plopping the 23 back into Minnetonka on Sunday. Then again, the St. Croix sounds pretty appealing...should be a great weekend for boating  8)
My name is not "Carl"

1980 CV23

Offline MarkS

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:29:28 PM »
The weekly meeting of the Jackson Lake Glastron Club (just me, and a buddy in his '57 Lone Star Malibu) will be meeting again this weekend, all are welcome!  I'll attach a couple pics from last weekends meeting......

My new hatch cover/door is finally done:

Did I mention Bob is crazy?  Had to let him in my club.  LOL
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I've got trailer light problems ... So I'm gonna have to ride with Jeff this weekend ...

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 09:03:47 PM »
Yes, my son Philip was married August 7 and they honeymooned in Disneyland. Ursala will be a wonderful wife to Philip and a wonderful daughter-in-law to Joy and myself. Ursala's first boat ride in my boat was last October on the St. Croix when the boat took on water from the hole in the hull. She may be a little gun shy at this point. Thanks for the congratulations.   
David

Offline MarkS

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:24 AM »
I'm sorry guys, that was rude of me to butt in like that.  Please forgive my lack of manners.
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 07:22:08 AM »
As long as you included pictures it's OK ... LOL
Not a problem Mark ...

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »
Kind of late notice/change of plans...

We're gonna put in about 4-5pm at Beanies Saturday, ride north to Arcola bridge, then find a spot to have a campfire and view the evening.  Might be out til Midnight.  Back out Sunday around Prescott/Kinni 10ish til dusk.  Anyone welcome to join us either day.

Look for us!
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:31:50 PM »
Your a true Glastron Diehard! Should just bring tent and stay the night too!
Jason S.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 10:07:35 PM »
Launched at St. Paul Park with my two sons Paul and Philip at 4 PM. The boat ramp drops off after the concrete ends and the trailer hangs up on the side. Like Gregg did several weeks ago, I broke the side light lense off, and had to rock the car to get the trailer wheel out of the drop off onto the start of the concrete.

The winds (15-25 per weather forecast) whipped the waves on the Mississippi River so held the speed down all the way. Headed North from St. Paul Park, through the City of St. Paul, and took refuge from the waves on the Minnesota River. Traveled to the Highway 169 bridge, turned around and headed back to boat ramp at 7 3/4 PM with darkness closing in. Used the Ballistic 21" stainless steel because of the heavy load - indicated 46 MPH at 5,000 RPM. Used about 14 gallons of gas.

Boat traffic was light - no Glastrons or Glastron/Carlsons.    
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 09:18:37 AM by David »
David

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
I launched on the down river side and didn't have a problem, retrived on the up (north) side and heard a loud "CLUNCK".
I have AWD so didn't have to much trouble getting it out but scratched rear cross member and busted tail light.
Light still worked on the trip down to Red Wing but when I checked it for the trip home the turn signal blinker wasn't working, bulb was broken but stop/running light were still working.
Ordered a new one at Tanners for $20, Wesbar light use a plug-in kind of like the truck to trailer plug so unplug the old lens and plug the new in ...
Of course I didn't find that out until after I took the old one apart and wondered WHY they would make it so hard to change a tail light ...LOL
Live & learn ...

Did your new DIL have a less stressful trip Dave ?
Started cooling down about 7:00.

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Philip's new wife, Ursala, is still getting the apartment arranged and teaches English in the Roseville Middle School system so has preparations for the new school year. She valued the time at home to get work done and thought this would be a good all-man trip, but is open to future trips.  

David

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
That last picture of your engine is awesome Dave!
Jason S.

Offline Laine73GT160

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2010, 12:10:57 PM »
Saturday I made a quick run in my favorite boating area with my camera and a friend to drive the boat.  I planned to get photos of the beautiful area to entice some of you northern/grumpy old men to trailer to Wabasha.  The public boat landing is 4 wide and almost no wait to launch.  At times you do have to park your vehicle blokes away and walk.  The beauty of this area is the sand bars; the army core of engineers constantly dredges the channel below Lake Pepin.  Left from Wabasha and it?s a short ride to Lake Pepin.  My boat is too small for Pepin but the trip is miles of sand taller than I could climb.  Turn right from Wabasha and the no wake zone passes Slipery?s a large restaurant with a large boat dock.  Outside on the patio offers burgers, brots, and drink.  A little farther down and the Eagle museum also has a large boat dock and is nice to walk threw for something different.  The trip down to Alma is sand bar heaven, on the Minnesota side sand with trees for shade, on the Wisconsin side miles of mountains of sand.  Like most of the river there are obvious party beaches and family beaches.  Alma marina is beautiful.  The marina is privately owned but it is also a large city owned park, swimming beach, clean restrooms and showers, tennis courts, volley ball, and baseball diamonds.

I am happy to trailer an hour north to boat with you all but I would love to show some of you the beautiful area I boat.  It?s nice for a day trip or tent camping.  I will try to post some pictures.

Now for the bad.  The river was 3 to 4 foot lower than normal.  I could see the wing dams; I know they were there but have a new respect for them when you actually see a big pile of rooks.

As other boater noted the wind was a problem on the Mississippi this weekend.   I had never seen that on the river just Pepin.  The current flowing south, the wind blowing north, and the combination causing rough water, white caps at times.  Slow boating and not good for pictures.

But as we all know any day on the water is a good day!!!

Laine

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2010, 01:28:44 PM »
Laine, I have been on the Mississippi south of Lake Pepin and can attest to the beauty of the area - the sand dunes, small town flavor, and the winding river. Perhaps next year the Glastron group could launch at Wabasha and explore both Lake Pepin on the north side and the river to Alma on the south side. Ate at the historic hotel in Wabasha with my son on a day trip with its unique furnishings. Wabasha has River Days also, and the Bald Eagle Center.
David

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 01:49:27 PM »
" Perhaps next year the Glastron group could launch at Wabasha and explore both Lake Pepin on the north side and the river to Alma on the south side "

I've been down there twice boating and went to river days once.
Sound like a plan, though might want to stay the night.