Author Topic: Boat and Marine surveying  (Read 3255 times)

Offline fireman24mn

Boat and Marine surveying
« on: February 06, 2018, 01:22:32 PM »
As a few of you know am going to be starting a new business for boat surveys. I will be attending the Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart FL. It is a 6 week course. Once I have completed it I can get the accreditation the most people and companies require. So if anyone is looking for a survey on a boat in the future I will be about to handle that for you.

Now the reason for the post is I am trying to come up with a name for the business. In first looking at domains that are available I and thinking about going with Marinesurvey.com, boatsurvey.com, or Yachtsurvey.com. Those exact domains are already taken however I have found a variation that will work for all of them.  Any one have an opinion on which one to choose or a suggestion of another name to go with.

Thanks and it won't be long until we are back on the water!!
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Boat and Marine surveying
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 07:11:57 PM »
I would suggest working with a a company like go Daddy or similiar.  Unfortunately companies created site names in anticipation of folks needing them.  I checked marinesurveyor.net, looked like go Daddy owned it.  Hard part is keeping the name short, maybe incorporate your name into the address might yield some openings.  Shawnpsurveys.com maybe?  Also check the extensions as a way to expand your options.  Here is a decent article.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.searchenginejournal.com/best-domain-extensions-com-not-available/132321/amp/
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
Could you do something like Midwest Boat Surveys or Minnesota Boat Surveys?  Biggest issue is getting high enough in Google's search results to drive internet traffic to you.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
and..once you do pick a name, claim it on all social media sites...Twitter, Instagram, FB, Snapchat, etc...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:32:20 AM »
Because it will be a business. Just like my rentals and flipping houses. I will start an LLC and would prefer to keep my personal name out of the title. I will have to sign the surveys but that is different then my actual name as the business. My insurance agency uses my personal name in a way.

It is also nice for tax time. So I can say what each business made what a expenses each business had.

Never even though about the social media stuff but will do that as well.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 12:16:22 PM »
Because it will be a business. Just like my rentals and flipping houses. I will start an LLC and would prefer to keep my personal name out of the title. I will have to sign the surveys but that is different then my actual name as the business. My insurance agency uses my personal name in a way.

It is also nice for tax time. So I can say what each business made what a expenses each business had.

Never even though about the social media stuff but will do that as well.

Yep, you'll want to claim that 'space'...
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Green with Envy

• Allan Pfromm
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
Stay away from GoDaddy like a sinking ship!

Started with them 3 years ago for $149/year.  That's everything: domain setup, hosting, 'software' to build my page and two emails connected to my domain name.  Year 2 went up to $249.  Two weeks ago they quoted me $671/year to continue service.  They hook you with their silly 'build your page in an hour' software that they conveniently change every year so you have to upgrade just to be able to update your page.

I opted for a local guy out of Prescott who designs webpages from open-source software. He hosts, builds, maintains and keeps my domain current.  He is in the design stages for my new web page now.  I'll update you on his progress.  You can look at my current page now and then check out the finished product after he finishes the new one.

Allan
aqua-stitch.com
1974 Glastron CV-16 SS
1975 Glastron GT150
1984 Searay Sundancer
1979 Glastron HPV-175