Author Topic: SSV-151 OMC Control box  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Capt SkUnK

SSV-151 OMC Control box
« on: February 15, 2018, 08:08:31 PM »

Looking for some help.  Trying to get some work done to the SSV-151.    Things have been going good up until it came time to order some parts for my OMC Throttle Controls.    The boat was starting to become hard to cold start.   The problem was a plastic connector inside the Control Box.    I've since decided to rebuild the inside of this unit. 

But I'm having trouble tracking down the right parts needed for job as all I know about this unit is it's an 80s OMC unit.

I am talking with a parts place currently bit the parts sheets they are sending me are not identical to my unit...    any help ID'ing this unit so i can order parts would be greatly appreciated.

The have sent me these schematics for two shifter.  While the 1st one looks similar it still seems to have a few of the plastic connections I'm looking for missing.

(This unit looks very similar to mine...  except I can't see the plastic connector for my high throttle in the break down.)

(This below one doesn't look remotely close to mine)

(Below)
This is the part I feel is causing all my problems..   there is so much play in this part that when I move the high throttle lever it pops out of its tracks.  And won't let me completely idal down.  At the end of summer the problem progressively got worse and eventually even moving the  throttle forward or reverse would cause the high throttle to move the cables and I couldn't idal down.  There was lots of play in the high throttle lever and I needed to either split the Control Box to reset the plastic connection or mainly push the throttle linkage at the engine.

My plan is to order up all the plastic inners...  most of them are showing signs of wear.  And hopefully rebuild the unit.   And while I'm doing that ill order up some new Throttle cables if i can determine where the #s are for measurements for the cables. 

Any help with my search on determining the Control Box so i can order up new parts would be greatly approached.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: SSV-151 OMC Control box
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:47:29 AM »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »
Thanks a lot for the links I really do appreciate your effort on linking me up...   I've been searching high an low on that site and for the life of me couldn't find the parts for this controller....  And trying to describe these parts to my local dealer has made this a frustrating endeavor.

I've gone through the Remote Control Box, disassembled everything in the Control Box and disconnected my linkage cables at the engine as well for inspection.

I cleaned up all the parts and inspected everything.  The only two parts I see noticeable wear on visually are.

1)Shift Lever

2)Shift Lockout Lever

All the rest of the parts appear to be in good repair.  Although I'm unsure of what I should expect from my linkage cables.  They appear to be free moving and no signs of binding.  Funny thing is with the linkage disconnected from the engine I thought it should work properly but it's still stopping short of the stoppers.....   could my problem lie below the fly wheel with other parts....

I'm interested to here from Anyone with experience or advice as to weather these two parts could cause my symptoms. Of the high reving after using the high throttle or the actual throttle stick.  Once I got to throttle down she stay at a higher rev.  I have to manually push the throttle linkage on the engine so it will idal properly

Here is a picture of how the boat idals properly

And this his where the stopper stops and I'm left with a high idal until I manually push the linkage back to the stopper.

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
@ Hyperacme

If I were to go the route if buying a used control unit.  What would I look for; for a simple swap?  Are there certain years to look for or will any controller unit work?

Any suggestions on a reliable place to order a used unit from? 

Unfortunately where I'm from boat parts are few and far between and tracking down used parts isn't as easy as it seems.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 10:44:27 PM »
OMC Johnson Evinrude Control Box Rebuild and Throttle and Shift Cable replacement V4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYe3mMpkPtY

eBay seems to have boxes and parts ...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=omc+control+box&rt=nc

Pretty sure your motor would need the "Red Plug" connecter and T&T in the handle, if you get new / used box.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 11:07:46 PM »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:23:45 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 10:54:57 AM »
OMC Johnson Evinrude Control Box Rebuild and Throttle and Shift Cable replacement V4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYe3mMpkPtY

eBay seems to have boxes and parts ...
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=omc+control+box&rt=nc

Pretty sure your motor would need the "Red Plug" connecter and T&T in the handle, if you get new / used box.
Thanks for the links Hyperacme.  Much appreciated.  I've watched that video a few times while taking my remote control apart.

Well I took a dive into the Remote Control Unit.  Tore it all apart, cleaned and inspected all the parts.    The Control Box had a few worn parts.

-Shift Lock out cam (appears to be bent wasn't sure if it was manufactured like this or it suffered some damage so I went ahead and ordered a new part anyways)

-Shift Lock out Lever

-Shift Lever

All other parts cleaned up nicely and appear to be in good shape to reuse.

I searched locally for these parts through 3 different Evinrude suppliers, and was absolutely shocked at the prices.  I don't understand the price mark ups I receive here in Canada.  There is a 50%+ mark up on parts here.

Last season I purchased a new coil for $75.00  was quoted  $280 For a new propeller.  Found these for $30 USD/ $207.  These parts alone made my order justifiable.

Anyhow I placed my order with Marine Engine out of the US and even with conversion, Shipping & Customs fees I'm still saving a lot of cash. 

Anyhow I got all the parts to rebuild the Remote Control unit, do my water pump/Thermostats, 4 new coils and a new propeller. 

Itching to get out in the boat shead and get some wrenches turning as soon as the parts arrive.   So until they arrive decided to   spin some wrenches on my Off Road toy and get her ready for some early spring wheeling we have planned in a few short weeks...  So I embarked on a Dredded heater core replacement.  While it's a lot of tedious work,  I have done a few of these repairs in my time.   Have her all stripped and waiting on the needed part to arrive later this afternoon. 

This is the part I was looking for....  I knew it was burried behind the dash bolted to the fire wall.   I have put about 3 hours into getting to this step. The worst part was disconnecting all the wire harnesses attached to the dash and steering wheel.  How I hate those connections..... Have another hour worth of work to split the HVAC box and change out the parts needed.  Then another 3 hours of putting it all back together.  Will be nice to have some heat this year for some spring wheeling.

So I've got my bolt spinning fix while I wait on the boat parts to arrive hopefully early next week!

Offline Capt SkUnK

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:29:43 PM »
So my parts arrived the other day from Marine Engine.  Very quick shipping and everything arrive as ordered.

Was feeling under the weather the weekend after getting my TJ's Heater Core finished so I didn't start the rebuild on my Remote Control Unit this afternoon.    Went off with out a hitch.   My throttle controller now feels like it has a lot better motion.   And after a little adjustments on the throttle cables,  my stoppers are now hitting the block.  I guess I'll have to wait till spring until I can start it but just from the action it appears my problem is cured and my high throttle now works.

Skunk