Author Topic: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!  (Read 53662 times)

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
Re: CVZ-18 hull rebuild has begun!
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 01:32:35 PM »
Could you take a string and run for to aft at starting points and measure
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:41:56 PM »
Could you take a string and run for to aft at starting points and measure

I almost added that to my last post - attaching it firmly enough to not sag might be difficult.

I  can see it being a "battle royale" with tape, but maybe not?

Possibly 5 minute epoxy it in place?

Offline MarkS

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:52 PM »
At the time I was doing mine, the gang on the Nat. site advised using a 1/4" cushion to prevent a "hard spot" where the wood contacts the hull.  Since then I've heard of many folks who don't follow that theory, and haven't had a problem.   I did, and had no problem either but quite possibly wasted my time doing so?
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
 I made my stringer templates from foam it went pretty fast and I had an exact template to copy onto the wood.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 06:39:19 PM »
I made my stringer templates from foam it went pretty fast and I had an exact template to copy onto the wood.

Looks great, how did you define where the top/floor would be?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
i have restored 2 so far, the GT-150 had been demoed before i got it so i had to make it all up as i went, the 1900 there was nothing to make patterns from.
on both you could tell approximately where the floor was.
i used a straight edge across the hull where i wanted the bottom of the floor to be and measured from that down to where the stringer would lay about every foot or so, then used those measurements to make cardboard templates.
then i adjusted the templates so i liked how they fit and cut the wood, then more adjusting to get that to fit.
i did not get too fancy (filled any gaps on the bottom of the stringers with cabosil/resin)
on the GT i tabed the stringers in with 1 layer of 1708 biax to the top stringer, on the 1900 i did 2 layers, one to the top of the stringer, the other just 2" up (that was prob overkill)
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 10:41:19 AM »
i have restored 2 so far, the GT-150 had been demoed before i got it so i had to make it all up as i went, the 1900 there was nothing to make patterns from.
on both you could tell approximately where the floor was.
i used a straight edge across the hull where i wanted the bottom of the floor to be and measured from that down to where the stringer would lay about every foot or so, then used those measurements to make cardboard templates.
then i adjusted the templates so i liked how they fit and cut the wood, then more adjusting to get that to fit.
i did not get too fancy (filled any gaps on the bottom of the stringers with cabosil/resin)
on the GT i tabed the stringers in with 1 layer of 1708 biax to the top stringer, on the 1900 i did 2 layers, one to the top of the stringer, the other just 2" up (that was prob overkill)

Thanks for the response - what did you use for a straight edge? How did you make it shorter as the hull narrowed?
Are you saying that one layer of 1708 would have been enough?

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 12:02:23 PM »

Thanks for the response -
what did you use for a straight edge? How did you make it shorter as the hull narrowed?
i clamped to metal rulers together and adjusted the length as required.

i suspect it would be, it originally had a thick layer of CSM and 1 piece of woven stuck on the middle between bulkheads.

Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »

Thanks for the response -
what did you use for a straight edge? How did you make it shorter as the hull narrowed?
i clamped to metal rulers together and adjusted the length as required.

i suspect it would be, it originally had a thick layer of CSM and 1 piece of woven stuck on the middle between bulkheads.

Smart man  ;)

eyeing what I have cut out of my boat it looks to be only one layer of CSM on the stringers with an extra layer of mat on the motor mounts - can anybody concur?

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 01:08:06 PM »
eyeing what I have cut out of my boat it looks to be only one layer of CSM on the stringers with an extra layer of mat on the motor mounts - can anybody concur?

Here is a picture of my CVX18, same hull below the rub rail as your CVZ18

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2015, 01:21:13 PM »
Here's one of the motor mount. The bare wood is what was resting on the hull bottom. This is the piece that was added to the inside of the stringer to increase the width where the motor mounts were.. A third piece of wood rested on top of the stringer and the piece in the photo. Looks like they may have doubled up on the glass. The glass work in the engine bay and around the motor mounts was good and heavy in my boat. where there was some rotting the glass work was still supporting the weight of the engine.

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 01:28:56 PM »
Here is part of the port stringer. The starboard was mulch. Which is funny because that's where the floor was solid. The port side of the floor was rotted badly under the front bucket seat to the point that the previous owner had welded a big aluminum plate to the seat base so there was some solid wood to screw into. By the time I got the boat that was rotted too and the seat base screws would constantly loosen up because there wasn't any wood left for them to grab onto.

The stringer is 4 3/4" inch high BTW. Best I can tell that dim. doesn't change at least up to the kick panel on my boat.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
That is about how much stringer I have left too!

I did manage to get one of the transom layers out in 2 pieces to use as a  template, but that one was the easy one anyway.

Forgot to take a picture, but all the wood is out, fiberglass and supplies have been ordered, construction starts next weekend!

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »
The fiberglass supplies arrived yesterday - Joe at Merton's was extremely helpful and convinced me to go with polyester resin

I also bought a couple of gallons of his proprietary, pre-mixed PB

Today I ordered the lumber - #1 Doug Fir and 3/4" ACX

The best part is the lumber yard is delivering it to the "job site"  :)

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »
At the time I was doing mine, the gang on the Nat. site advised using a 1/4" cushion to prevent a "hard spot" where the wood contacts the hull.  Since then I've heard of many folks who don't follow that theory, and haven't had a problem.   I did, and had no problem either but quite possibly wasted my time doing so?

So I have been doing some reading on this - another one of those subjects with varied and adamant opinions!

Here is what I took away:

It isn't a "cushion" unless you use foam or the like.

If you PB the stringers to the hull, the stringer has full structural contact with the hull the entire length, thus avoiding a hard spot.

A hard spot is where the stringer puts more pressure on a portion or "spot" of the hull than other places along the stringer.

Plywood stringers stand a better chance of having a hard spot than timber as they are harder with less flex or give.

Now the important one:

The reason you want a gap filled with PB along the entire length of a stringer rather than having the wood touch the fiberglass in spots is that the PB will shrink over time, pulling the stringer that is already in contact with the hull hard into the hull creating a hard spot.

That said, it seems unlikely to cause a problem on my (our) 18' boats with timber stringers even if there is wood to glass contact, but I am going to careful about having a reasonably even layer of PB to bed my stringers.

So thank you for you post that piqued my curiosity!

Scott

P.S. at least the transom will be installed, and glassed this weekend. May even get the stringers bedded, but not glassed.

Offline MarkS

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
I felt your pain with all the info that is out there when I was rebuilding my GT, it got downright confusing at times.  (It was the first one I had done any structural repair/replacement on.)  The next one will be a little easier, once you have some of this stuff sorted out.  I used PL adhesive to be the stringers, 'cause that's what I saw on FriscoBoater's YouTube rebuild site.  (I followed it daily for a LONG time.) Others said to never use it in a boat, so who knows.  There's almost always NUMEROUS ways of accomplishing the task at hand, just have to sort through them and figure out what works for you.   Sounds to me like you're doing an excellent job of doing just that sir!
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »
ditto to Mark... pick a method you like and go forth!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2015, 05:21:05 PM »
ditto to Mark... pick a method you like and go forth!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I did and I am!

Woods here and it is beautiful!

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
And the rest of the goods.

power-tools I used to have when I was in the trades were either sold or disposable.

So I needed some power-tools too.

Offline Scott in nh

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2015, 05:23:58 PM »
Cut the transom using the original as a pattern and then scribed it to what is actually there