Author Topic: CV16 steering options  (Read 2512 times)

Offline wpstarling

CV16 steering options
« on: May 24, 2021, 08:22:02 PM »
So I took the boat out today after putting the 1992 Yamaha 115 I have on it and the steering cable that's mounted on the transom came unscrewed and about flipped me and my kids out of the boat.

They're good and I've got a cracked rib but it'll heal.  Wondering now what's the best option for steering. The cable doesn't bind or make any weird angles but I feel that if it could go through the motor or would be safer. What does everyone recommend?
1972 Glastron-Carlson CV16

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: CV16 steering options
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 08:41:07 PM »
If you run cable thru tilt tube on motor, you'll need to reroute cable thru deck exit.
If you go Baystar, you can use old hole and mount motor anywhere you like ...

SeaStar Solutions NFB rotary
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/nfb-4-2-rotary-steering/

SeaStar Solutions NFB rack
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/mechanical-steering/nfb-rack-steering/

SeaStar Solutions Baystar
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/outboard-new/baystar/

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2021, 09:06:07 PM »
I know you've got hydraulic but it's it normal for the transom mounted steering to come unscrewed?  It's not at a weird angle but it is angled, especially if I tilt motor. Just want to avoid ever experiencing this again. Could have been a lot worse

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2021, 10:18:06 PM »
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 10:23:14 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 07:02:08 AM »
Transom mounted. You can see on the left side of this picture that there are threads. The nut that was supposed to be on there either came loose or broke. I haven't been able to get in to look at it to tell what exactly happened.

But basically I was doing about 40mph and the boat jerked left all of a sudden and we almost all flipped out. I thought wind caught us but once I got boat on trailer I saw that the steering wasn't turning the motor and figured out the nut came loose by taking that picture.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »
Thought of another question, I have a little bit of slack in my current steering cable, so assuming that the nut didn't break or mess up the threads, could I use my current cable to mount through the tilt tube?  I don't see on any of the links where the cable is specific to how it's mounted so that makes me think I could mount to the tilt tube OR to the transom. 

I'd really love hydraulic as it's pretty much recommended by everywhere but there seem to be so many I'm not even sure what I need, how do I even know what fits my motor?

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »
On my old transom mount set up, the tube was held tight by the four bolts in red circles.
I believe all cables have standard ends, it just the length of cable that changes (12' , 14' , 16' , etc. )

You will need to remove motor to get cable into tilt tube and change where cable exits deck, as bend would be to much from old hole.
You won't need the transom mount but you will need a drag link ..
https://www.boatid.com/seastar-solutions/link-arm-mpn-sa27361p.html?view=578090&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwLKFBhDPARIsAPzPi-LfqgvnUZm6CdiT5xwLpBDNObTRixIwZYFw_lMIf5K--JGl4-Pbz94aAvQxEALw_wcB

There catalog lists what you'll need for which system you choose.
http://seastarsolutions.com/catalog/seastarcatalog.html

I haven't looked at prices, but Baystar was about three time more then a NFB system.
BUT was worth every penny .. it solves all your steering systems problems ...

« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 02:25:42 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2021, 06:15:14 PM »
That story is a nightmare tale, although a cracked rib is serious, I'm thankful it wasn't worse.   The stock type systems work well, but hydraulic systems are a great solution if it fits in your budget.   This incident should also prompt you to install and use a safety interlock, should you be tossed out.    Good advice to all boaters, take some time to pre-flight your boats.   Maybe the lost or loose bolt could have been noticed?   Good locking hardware is a must on boats, especially those on the St Croix on Saturday afternoons😃
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2021, 07:41:03 PM »
If the interlock is the cable that you strap on your life jacket or wrist then I have one but my hands never left the steering wheel and throttle respectively.

I'm blessed it wasn't worse, I've experienced worse unfortunately and I'd like to not repeat it with my own kids.

I don't know why I didn't check the steering cable to be honest but I will from now on.

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2021, 05:30:40 PM »
This is how the steering was hooked up before. That nut is what came loose and caused the accident. Does this look right or should the nut be on the other side? I feel like the motor doesn't turn as much when it's on the other side

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2021, 06:56:58 PM »
I don't have any pictures of my old mount, but it had a tube held by mount and cable went thru it.
I didn't plan on reusing it .. so didn't pay much attention to it.
You can see the tube exiting splash well with cable coming out the end of it.

Last picture is different set up (splash well mount) but you can see how tube is mounted to splash well and steering cable go's thru it.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 09:39:03 AM »
I don't own a glastron outboard powered craft any longer, so I can't go out and check.   It would seem that the outer tube held by the clamp would have some type of nut on both sides to both insure it stays in the mount, and secondly to allow the cable system to be adjusted so motor can turn equally both directions.    If you open the clamp, does it look like a piece  was there before, maybe broke off at end of threads?   
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2021, 11:50:13 AM »
like Mike said, check how that clamp holds it, it should be more than friction.
also from the pix you posted it looks like the tube may have broke (red arrow) and also does not look like the threads are long enough (from memory it seems like that nut should thread on nearly 1 inch)
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline wpstarling

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2021, 02:25:11 PM »
Yea the nut was farther down the cable so it's there but it doesn't thread much on to it.  It's possible there were more pieces before I got the boat but what's there is what it came with.  I'm thinking of buying a new cable system and then saving for the hydraulic.  I'll post pictures of the nut and I plan on looking at it more on Saturday. 

Side note, my ribs feel better but still painful if I move quickly.  Blessed is the only way to describe how I feel about my kids not getting hurt in all this...  But it has made me aware of inspecting everything beforehand now, like I do when I pull a trailer, double and triple check things. 

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2021, 03:43:18 PM »
Unfortunately many of us dealing with 40+ year old boats and not being the original owners deal with lower quality or simply quickly done repair work from the previous ownership.   I've seen quite the examples of P.O. creativity,  enough to create a new thread.    It sounds like you have a good handle on what it will take to make it safe again.   Please post a pic when the new cable is in.
Michael
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
1985 Intimidator project

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2021, 06:58:21 PM »
Outboard Steering Without A Tilt Tube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWDkioSeK08

Offline aquamaniac

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2021, 07:16:56 PM »
WP,

I'm glad that you and your family were not seriously hurt. I suspect that the cause of your steering failure was the loss of one of the four clamp bolts in the clamp block assembly. The support tube needs to be securely clamped. When the support tube slipped through the clamp it could have then knocked your coupler nut off the end of the support tube. Torque steer from the outboard can provide enough force for this to happen quickly when the clamp failed.

When you replace the missing bolt in the clamp block assembly you will probably need to move the support tube so that it is more centered in the clamp block assembly. This will move the coupler nut away from the end of the clamp block. This image from hyperacme's last post shows how it should be positioned.