Author Topic: New to site NJ Glastron owner  (Read 7465 times)

Offline kamiller

New to site NJ Glastron owner
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:49:57 PM »
My name is Keith Miller. Ic ame across this site because I have an old Glastron and Carlson. The Glaston is a 73 v186 swinger. It has been in the family since new and I am the third ower. It originally was bought new my aunts father then my dad bought it in 98 then passed it on to me last year. I love the boat. It is on it's second trailer(the original rotted in the salt water) and it's on it's third outboard and third set of seats in the interior. When my father got the boat it was all original but needed a new floor which we put in and glassed over and it stands strong 12 years later. The original motor Starflite 100 evinrude died about 6 years later and I put a 79 100 hp evinrude on it. My father had an opportunity to get an 88 yamaha 115 so he put that on the boat which has been on there for about 4 years and continues to push the boat well. I really love the old Glastrons and hope to keep this one together for a long time I just think the style is so cool. I wet sanded it and buffed it this year then waxed it and it came out pretty good. My brother has a 73 cv16 with a 76 merc 1500 tower of power.  iam trying to get it off of him but my wife says I dont need two boats. This is hard because it is an awesome boat. It has been sitting for probably 25 years and needs a new stringer. the seats aren't too bad because they have been in storage and the motor does run. My brother was given the boat from a neighbor that lived acroos the street from our shore house and was really into speed. He put a jack plate on the boat and sanded down the hook. He said that with the 150 it went around 70 mph. Not sure if this is true or exagerated  my brother started restoring the boat and lost interest but never got the title. A year later the neighbor actually died in a boating accident in a newer 16 ft glastron where he fell out of the boat and the boat actually ran him over. THis was tragic because he was a really nice guy who loved boats especially glastrons. Anyway we contacted his aunt who was the only surviving relative and she did find the title for us. My brother got the carbs rebuild and go the motor running about three years ago but lost interest again. i really want to restore this boat but have a three year old and another on the way so my time is limited. I can still dream and hopefully the cv 16 will stay in the family so one day I can restore it with my son it is such a cool boat I couldn't stand to see it rot away. So thsi is my story. I have alwys loved boats but I find Glastrons and Carlsons especially cool.

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
Re: New to site NJ Glastron owner
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 01:50:36 PM »
Welcome to the CGOAMN!  We are glad to have you!  Quite a history...  We have a great group of people here, so stay connected, and keep sending us pictures!
Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »
..................but my wife says I dont need two boats.

Don't they all!

Great story........Except for the part where the Glastron murdered it's driver!

Post some pictures when you get a chance. The V186 is a great do it all boat!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:03:10 AM »
Welcome
Great story except for the tragedy.
Hopefully that CV can stay close or if it needs to go, let us know here. Someone would bring it back to life.

"..................but my wife says I dont need two boats." LOL!
Yeah thats not all they say.  :o
The flip side is being divorced such as myself which gives you the freedom to make all kinds of silly decisions on your own, but you may not have the financial resources.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline kamiller

Live and let die.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 03:29:33 PM »
I always heard about it but I never actually watched the scene in Live and Let Die with all the Glastrons. I can't stop watching it over and over it is so cool epecially since the movie was made in 73 and both my glastrons are 73's probably the coolest boat scene ever!

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:50:39 PM »
Ya .. I know what you mean ..... I pretend Sherrif Pepper is behind me every time I go out on the lake!
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20