Author Topic: CVX 18 fluid leak on shift plate  (Read 1336 times)

Offline JThomas36

CVX 18 fluid leak on shift plate
« on: June 23, 2022, 01:31:48 PM »
Looking for a little help from the Forum.  I can't seem to find any info on the leak I am having at the shift plate.   I feel ignorant but want to know if This is some sort of PRE - Alpha shift assist set up ?  I have just done bellows, lower end rebuild , gimbal gearing, and shift cable replacement.   Hoping I have the shift cable adjusted properly as I have followed the instructions to the T.   Problem I have is , I have not seen anything on my Leaky item anywhere.    Hoping there is a seal kit I can buy for it.. any help would identifying be great.  Thanks, JT
JT
80 CVX 18
California Special

Online thedeuceman

• Administrator
Re: CVX 18 fluid leak on shift plate
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 02:56:20 PM »
you can find mercury parts manuals here
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/parts-catalog
not sure if this is the exact year/model  but i think the reverse lockout is the same on all
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:03:11 PM »
as joe said That is the reverse lockout.

It is a very simple fix. There are 2 o-rings in side that are wore out. I had to repair mine several years ago. There are several small steel balls inside it also. you will NOT want to loose them. Make sure you are careful when you take the arm off as the balls will try and fly out at you.  take the o-rings to a hydraulic shop or implement dealer and have them matched up.
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline JThomas36

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 12:55:34 PM »
Thank you both very much. I will tackle the project this weekend.   Is there any adjustment advice ?  I see the slotted screw on the arm similar to the lower Cable adjustment for reverse. 
JT
80 CVX 18
California Special

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 03:53:13 PM »
Thank you both very much. I will tackle the project this weekend.   Is there any adjustment advice ?  I see the slotted screw on the arm similar to the lower Cable adjustment for reverse.

I did not have to make any adjustments when I reinstalled mine. Just make sure you hook everything back up the way it was.
1975 v-179 starflite