Author Topic: New CVX 20 Owners  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Latemodel

New CVX 20 Owners
« on: October 06, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
Hello,

My name is Don.  My wife Jackie and I are long time residents of the Lakeville MN area.
    I retired twelve years ago after forty plus years working for a transportation refrigeration company as a factory service engineer and eventually as a service product manager.
   I have spent most of my life working on cars, boats, motorcycles, and anything else that ran on fossil fuel.
   Since I retired, most of my time has been taken up by the restoration of Herters boats and Scott Atwater outboards.  We are currently showing a 1957 Herters Flying Fish with a 1958 Scott Atwater 60 hp motor.  If you attended the 2017 Minneapolis Concours de Elegance or the 2017 Minneapolis Boat Show  you may have seen the boat.   
   I still have a couple of things on my bucket list and one of them is owning a Glastron Carlson CVX.   Somehow, one found me.  It’s a 1978 CVX 20 that has been in storage for thirty years or more.  The owner pulled it out of storage every few years, cleaned it up, ran it around a lake a few times or ran it on a hose, serviced it, and put it back in storage.   The last time it was run in the water was 2002.  The owner passed away two years ago, and I was recently able to buy the boat from his estate.
   The boat is close to mint condition.   I have started on cleaning and buffing the deck and hull, and will have to replace some of the buttons on the seats.  I knew the boat’s owner, and saw the boat run in 2002, the last time it was out of storage.  All the wood including the stringers, transom and engine beams seem solid.  The colors are gold metal flake deck and beige hull and upholstery.   My wife has already suggested the name “Fools Gold”.   
    It’s a good feeling to know that there is group of Glastron owners in the area who are willing to help a new owner get over the rough spots.   I am sure I will be asking questions as I get farther into getting the boat back in the water.
   We are looking forward to meeting other Glastron owners at some of the future activities.

Don and Jackie

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
Re: New CVX 20 Owners
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 05:49:57 PM »

Awesome!

Welcome.  Your in the right place here.  We all lov our machines and your 20 footer is beautiful.

David
Clearwater, MN
1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:13 PM »
Welcome to the forum Don ..
Both your boats look beautiful !

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum Don.

I also live in Lakeville on the verynorth side just off county road 46.

Would be fun to get together and share stories.

1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline cv-19

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
 Some info. on 460 motor and jet drive at CP Performance . Click on  Instructions top of their page
  then engine guides and Hardin Marine engine manual.

EDIT …

Berkeley Jet & Hardin Manuals are here …
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2916.0
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 01:43:59 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Very nice boats. Gotta love the lines of a CVX20!
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Latemodel

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 10:11:11 AM »
Thanks for the welcome and compliments on our boat.  It needs some work, but most of it appears minor.  I hope to have most done by the Holidays.  The big question mark is the deck.  It buffs out OK, but there are darker and lighter portions that looked like they were caused by the cover that was on the boat all those years.  I don't want to get too aggressive with them until I have someone with more metal flake experience than I have can look at it.  I have done a lot  of single stage painting, but never metal flake.  I have only used Finesse it II on it so far, and it looks OK, but I will wait till next summer to do any more than that.

cv-19 - Thanks for the link to the CP info.  That's the type of info I have been chasing as I have absolutely no experience with the Berkely.

carlsoncvx18 - Quote:  I also live in Lakeville on the verynorth side just off county road 46.

Would be fun to get together and share stories.

Icarlsoncvx18 -  I agree.  I will try to contact you through the boards email system.

I will be starting a project thread on the General Forum soon to show some of the things I have questions on.  Again, thanks for the welcome.

Don

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:16:28 AM »
You might have to get a little more aggressive then FI2.
Try some heavy compound.
Talk with Jeff (carlsoncvx18) he'll give you some idea's on what's needed.