Author Topic: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration  (Read 19100 times)

Offline Fatlenny

Re: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2023, 03:15:04 AM »
Great! cant wait to see more progress.

Offline awc105

« Reply #101 on: June 11, 2023, 05:48:16 PM »
Well it's been a busy few weeks, but today was officially Day 1 of starting the painting preparation. Gave the hull a good scrub with soapy water and a red scotch-brite pad, then started in on sanding the existing primer with 180 grit. When I applied this primer a few years ago (totalBoat totalProtect) I used a roller, at that time I was still thinking I would be using gelcoat for the finish, so all the small imperfections in the surface were tolerable since gelcoat is so thick. But now that I am doing paint I need to sand the surface to remove those. Once I get the hull sanded with 180 to my liking, I can then prep for spraying Awlgrip 545 Primer.

This week I placed the final paint supply order, so within a week I should have all the paint materials on hand.

When I started sanding it wasn't raining, however after a few hours it started sprinkling, had to pull her back in the shop. Can't complain though, SW Michigan hasn't had rain in weeks...

In other news my Fianc?e and I were kayaking a few weekends ago and happened to paddle around a marina. While there I saw one boat with a mercruiser alpha drive that had a braided line going into the vent port on the top of the drive, this hose went through the transom into the boat. Curious about it, I started googling and found out that it is a gear oil reservoir/monitor for older drives (Gen II have this built in). Thinking this would be good for my setup since it would be really nice to know if the drive is losing oil etc...(perhaps through convection it will keep the oil slightly cooler?) I did some poking around on ebay and found a NOS kit still sealed in the original packaging! Super cool!

Anyways that's it for now, more to come as always.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #102 on: June 11, 2023, 05:49:05 PM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2023, 03:22:47 PM »
Bravo drives have a similar system but through the transom plate.   Do you refill the drive through that reservoir or do you pump up from the bottom like normal, continuing to pump until reservoir  hits the proper level?  When you use one of those hydraulic helms, could that replace the stock cable power steering system.    Wondering if that would work on a intimidator?
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline awc105

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2023, 01:14:06 PM »
Once the reservoir is installed it becomes the place where drive oil is topped off, unless a full oil change is done in which case the drive has to be filled from the bottom up like normal, and then the reservoir. The instructions also specify an air bleeding procedure.

I'm sure it could work for that kind of application, the reservoir is much larger in person than it looks in pictures, I was surprised, looks like almost a full quart!

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:24 AM »
Got some good progress done this weekend. Got most of the hull sanded to 180 grit except for the transom, ran out of time...took almost 14 hours between saturday and sunday to sand out all the low spots as a result of rolling the gray primer on originally.

I used mirka black powder guide coat which worked very well to locate all the spots!
Most of it was done using a baxter air sander which worked quite nice too with 3M gold stikit discs, the strakes were the most difficult part, all elbow grease!

I also received the last of the paint supplies, so it should be getting rather exciting soon!

Next week I will be finishing the 180 grit sanding, and then turning the workshop into a ventilated spray booth, then the week after that I should be shooting the new primer!

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2023, 11:16:53 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #107 on: June 19, 2023, 03:19:08 PM »
Awesome man, hope to see you hit the water soon.

Offline awc105

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2023, 10:31:51 AM »
Thanks! Yeah hoping to start bolting stuff back together by the end of summer, and perhaps splashing down next spring!

Getting heavy into the details of the painting process, I developed a mix calculator for Awlgrip 545 Primer, Awlcraft SE Top Coat, and Awlcraft 2000 Topcoat. All you have to do is select your desired volume unit (gallons, milliliters, ounces...), enter the total volume of paint you want, and enter your desired reducer percentage. It will will then calculate the required amount of base, converter, and reducer to mix to get that entered volume.
I have attached it here in case anyone else may want a copy.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2023, 08:35:14 AM »
Well the paint prep is coming along nicely, I have finished the 180 grit sanding, all that's left is a good cleaning and she'll be ready for primer. My Fiancee and I have a wedding coming up at the end of July, so lots of preparation is happening currently for that, so I'm going to hold off on the actual painting until the beginning of August. In the mean-time though I was able to setup the temporary spray booth, got a roll of 9'x400' plastic and spent quite some time putting it up. My dad had an old squirrel cage blower unit that we will use for exhausting the air, and the air pulled in will go through some furnace filters. It's pretty rough looking, but it'll do the job!

Contemplating on whether I need to do the Awlgrip compatibility test per the application guide or not, the primer on the boat is totalBoat totalProtect which is an epoxy based primer. The Awlgrip 545 primer that is going on top of it is also an epoxy primer, any thoughts?

Hoping everyone has a safe and fun 4th!
-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2023, 08:35:47 AM »
More Pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2023, 09:59:47 AM »
Had a very productive weekend!

Finished setting up the spray booth, sealed in the blower unit for exhaust and put a furnace filter on the other side of the room as the intake, the combo worked very well!
 It's been very humid around here lately so my compressor picks up a lot of moisture, I have 2 water separators but I was worried moisture might still make it to the spray gun, so I bought a new hose just for using with the spray gun, and I put a desiccant filter on the inlet to the new hose, and one right up at the spray gun. All the filtering and hose length created quite a pressure drop, when adjusting the gun to 28 psi the regulator at the compressor needed to be around 70psi! Either way the air setup worked great!

Once all the equipment was setup I then performed the Awlgrip compatibility test, it passed! So in the future if anyone is questioning putting Awlgrip 545 over totalBoat totalProtect I can say yes it is no problem! (As long as it was applied correctly)
After the test I wiped the hull clean first with compressed air and a lint free cotton rag, then with Awlprep T0170 and 2 rags. I started with Awlprep T0008 but found that it was too difficult to fully wet the surface because it would evaporate faster than I was able to wipe it off with the second rag...

After that I masked of the boat and started in to mixing. Since Awlgrip 545 has an induction time of 15 minutes, I would spray the first batch at the same time my dad would start mixing the second, that way I can continually spray. I was surprised at how thin the mix was without the reducer and I ended up spraying it without it using a 1.4mm tip. It laid it on very well. I was impressed, the gun I bought at a garage sale for $20, turns out it's a devilbiss Starting Line gun, which is there cheap one, still it's better than my other harbor freight units.

I was very happy with the outcome though, I did have one run on the port side, but it will be easily sanded out. Hoping to get the sanding done next week and prep for topcoat soon.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2023, 10:01:26 AM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2023, 12:13:12 PM »
That looks great, and I really like your spray booth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline awc105

« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2023, 06:40:45 PM »
Thanks! Yeah it was a pretty involved setup, but binder clips made it easy to fasten the sheets of plastic together and even made a good way to make a door!

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2023, 05:34:39 PM »
very cool, keep up the good work!

Offline awc105

« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2023, 06:19:01 PM »
Thanks! Yeah, it's starting to get interesting!
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2023, 09:46:25 PM »
It's been a busy few weeks, but this week I was able to get some things done. I did a first round of glazing pinholes using 3M Acryl Glazing Putty, then did a first pass at sanding the primer with 220 and a 1/2" foam interface pad to cut down the orange peel. Tomorrow I will do a second round of pinhole pilling, and then sand with 320. Sanding was difficult at first due to it all being white and outside in the sun, so I ended up wearing a pair of green filtered welding goggles!

If anyone is interested, most of the steps I've been following for using Awlcraft have been learned from Frankie Bushong's channel: https://www.youtube.com/@boatpaintingrestorationwit3029

That's it for now, should be getting some more done this coming weekend, need to do some work on the car first though...

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2023, 09:47:43 PM »
More Pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla