Author Topic: Project "Knot Sure"  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Fatlenny

Project "Knot Sure"
« on: January 24, 2022, 05:31:16 PM »
hello, I had a nice long post all wrote out but had an issue posting pictures. let me try this again but in a short version.

I bought this 14 foot boat this last summer and having a heck of a time identifying it. I am here asking if anyone recognizes it as it has very similar lines to a 1969 v143 glastron jetflight. Not quite the same but very similar. I just cant find anything with a hump on the bow like mine. This faux hood scoop is from the factory mold, not an addition. I have gone over every square inch of this boat and there is no HIN, no capacity plate, no numbers anywhere inside or out. 

I do have registration and here they didnt make a big deal on the year make and model of boats but now they do. the previous owners registration stated "make - 0000 SIMONEAU" I cant say this is or is not the manufacture as I have found no information of a company under that name. Its now registered as 1977 Unknown as last auction this boat went through this is what they sold it as.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 06:09:05 PM by Fatlenny »

Offline Fatlenny

Re: Project "Knot Sure"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 05:39:10 PM »
more photos

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 07:03:08 PM »
Hi Lenny and welcome to the forum !

Most slow or problems loading are from VERY large pictures from phones.
Try reduceing size or only loading one picture per post, then add another to a reply post

Seem like a few Glastron & Glastron / Carlson models were reproduced in Canada.
GT150's and CVX16's were splashed or built after company's got molds or copyrights to do so.
Plus many company's copied the "Aqua-Lift" hull ..

Some company's glassed in small tags under dash or under splash well with company info and serial number.

Search for "Sunray boats" , "Tempest boats" , "Grew boats" , "Swiftsure boats"  .  "Campion boats"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:47:22 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 10:09:26 AM »
Welcome Lenny - I'm wondering if folks on the Fiberglassics forum or their FB group would be able to help as well?  I've been following your FB posts, and I'm curious to know what it is as well!  It looks Glastron...but I couldn't find any matches either.

1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 04:18:37 PM »
I have tried a half dozen FB groups and a couple forums with no luck. I have looked at every page in the fiberglass section of the fiberglassics library. That took a long time. Did you mean that you are following my fiberglassics forum on this project or somewhere on facebook?

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 06:25:52 PM »
Modified a Glastron emblem and created this one. I will have made when she is done. Hope this dont upset any purists. Since all research keeps coming back as a "Splash" of a Glastron hull with no idea of by who or when. She is going to have to be named "Knot Sure" and it is what it is. Going to stick these on the boat in the same place the v142 and v143s where placed.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 08:22:49 PM »
LOL ...
You'll need a "Splash Special" emblem for your dash ..

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2022, 08:31:10 PM »
Boat was auctioned off at AutoAuctionSpot

https://autoauctionspot.com/simo/simoneau/1977-5972JA.html
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 08:45:36 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2022, 09:16:40 PM »
Ask what ever dept. that reg. your boats to look up " MC 5972 JA "

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2023, 07:18:48 PM »
It has been a long project, but summer is right around the corner, and getting this project finished is also very close.

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2023, 12:58:21 PM »
Nice Job! Looks good.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2023, 03:09:44 PM »
Took her to the lake yesterday. It took some tinkering to get her running smoothly but once I did, she took right off. Hoping to squeeze about 8 more MPH out of it with getting the motor at the optimal height and possibly a different prop. Got her up to 42mph by the dash mounted speedo. In all the excitement I had not thought about getting the phone out to pull up the GPS speed app. Next time. Got her home and gave her a bath. That water was nasty and left her with a brown film all over her. I am ditching the 12 gal fuel tank in the rear for a 6 gal I have mounted up front. She sat a little heavy in the ass.

Offline awc105

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2023, 08:17:49 PM »
Looks like fun! I'm jealous, so ready for my CV to hit the water...

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2023, 09:19:11 PM »
Lookin' good Lenny !
42 MPH is pretty good for first time out ..

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2023, 05:33:50 AM »
We went to lake Fenton yesterday even though it was quite cool out. only about 47. One other person at the ramp, loading their competition bass boat. They was doing some shake down runs themselves. One guy came over to the prep area and said hello. I giggled inside as I knew that he was going to ask a question that I could only answer by pointing at the name of the boat on the transom. He complimented my boat and then asked "What year is it?" I pointed at the transom and we both laughed. He then commented that I must get that question all the time. I said I hadn't yet. That this was the second time out, but I'm sure I will get plenty of opportunities to point out her name in the near future. (The crooked "K" really is bugging me. Going to pull that off and put a new one on hopefully straighter)

I have read other forums of glastron v143s hitting around 50mph with a 70hp motor. low to mid 50s is my goal for a top speed. I know this is not a glastron v143 but the hull is a clone of one and has to be close to the same weight. I want something I can fly on when I want to and pull a tube for fun the rest of the time or just cruse around when we feel like it. I know I could go to a 115 merc but if other posts are accurate, I should be able to get what I want with what I have.

I am happy with how she sits now in the water. (posted a pic of how low she sat with the jack plate below) I wouldn't worry about a tuber getting back in the boat out on the water and swamping the boat. I keep messing up figuring out the speed on this boat. I did use the GPS (Top speed 38mph GPS) but don't know if I lost speed with this set up or not as I only looked at the GPS speed on my phone and didn't compare it to the dash mounted speedo. I am looking at options of a 4" jack plate so I can still have the adjustability to tune her a bit more without having to hang the motor and move it a bolt hole at a time. I cant imagine that a 4" set back will get me anywhere near how low she sat before.

The only issue I had on the water was when my wife got in the boat with me, It was listing badly to port side. I weigh more than her so no comments on the wifes weight. Driving the boat solo it did list more to the starboard side as expected although I did notice it was less with the fuel tank under the bow of the boat than when it was in the stern suggesting that the weight in the boat was more port side with the fuel tank moved up. When I let her drive, the boat still listed to port. Something is off balance here, next test run we will move the tank back under the splash well. As I type this out it seems that moving the fuel tank up front, also raising the center of gravity may be effecting the listing we are seeing. We moved the fuel tank up front to counteract the little bit bigger motor and the jack plate I started with. I planned on testing with the jack plate still in place, but decided to go ahead and remove it and test leaving the fuel up front. We will test with fuel tank movement first then battery as well, back aft with no jack plate. If we go back to the a jack plate I will use the smallest setback jack plate we can find, I will test as is with all weight in back and start with moving the battery only back up front first then fuel tank only if needed. I really prefer the option of motor adjustments on the fly as I would like this boat to perform differently as needs apply.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 05:37:25 AM by Fatlenny »

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2023, 10:26:01 AM »
Looks like your motor has newer style tilt & trim and should be prop rated, and looks like you have some sort of set back with motor lifted.
Electric jack plate are said to be heavy and manual plate might take a lot of time to adjust from speed to ski mode/setting .. not sure never own or used one.
Keep trying different settings and props .. This is Jerry's data which you might have already seen.

I had a 1972 V156 / 1971 Merc 65 HP without tilt & trim and got 36 MPH/GPS
The V156 is about 100 lbs. heavier then a V143.
I mounted a 1994 Johnson 60 HP with prop rated power and tilt & trim and got 43 MPH/GPS
Both motor were not lifted ..

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2023, 02:51:05 PM »
The jack plate in the first photos is a 10" manual. I have tested without it and would like some more adjustment. Its not too bad adjusting large adjustments on the water if needed for changes like for pulling tubes or going for speed runs. 3 to 4 minutes tops. loosen 4 bolts and crank the screw up or down then tighten the 4 bolts back down. I just have to test and test and mark the new jack plate as I go so I have quick reference points to set it at. I have ordered a 4" jack plate, the 10" was just too much. I am not sure if I will put the 10" on the bass boat, put it on a shelf, or put it up for sale. I love the idea of a hydraulic jack plate to adjust on the fly, but your right, heavier and mostly more expensive. On this little boat I think every pound matters.

I find it interesting that with a 26" pitch prop, he still had throttle at 6k rpms. I need to pull the prop off and figure out what I have on it and move forward from there.

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2023, 05:24:42 PM »
The old Merc / Quicksilver 2 blades were the fastest back in there day, before stainless steel.
I believe the high performance version's were just bronze 2 blades with a cup added.
Tried one of Dave's HP 2 blade props on my boat and got very close to best speed running a 22P Laser II prop.
Pretty good considering all the other newer props were slower.
Hard to put into words .. but HP 2 blade had a much different feel then other props tested.
There getting hard to find ..

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2024, 03:26:41 PM »
Nothing on builder or brand ..

1971 Bateau splash   /   St-F?lix-de-Valois, QC   /   $2,500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/689099079746734?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3Aee4f0ede-7a24-4f82-a75c-5b8928a49bb1

Super economical little boat, goes great jonhson 60 hp engine nothing to do ready to go for a cruise

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2024, 05:44:55 AM »
Very cool! thanks for sharing. at least now I know my boat is not a one off.