Author Topic: I've split the hull on my Glastron CVX16s HELP!!!  (Read 9942 times)

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
Re: I've split the hull on my Glastron CVX16s HELP!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 04:43:32 PM »
And to add to this, the reasoning behind me spending $ thousands in keeping and maintaining my beautiful Glastron CVX 16 is that my uncle, many years ago was the president of a US Corp (DEE Corp)and he loved Glastron boats, he exported them to Spain to his villa for private use and I remember my first ever holiday there (4 years old), where he took us out on his new super sport Glastron Carlson. I will never forget that first experience of these wonderful American pieces of art, burgundy flec red with white leather seats, sexy.....

And it's my responsibility to share that experience to others, as well as remembering it myself at every opportunity :)

Can't quite afford the GT series but hey ho.

Mike.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 05:36:21 PM »
That's a lot of motor for an old stringer / transom or one that hasn't been rebuilt better then original.
Looks like a plate on transom ?
Crack must be about where floor joins hull or just below it …

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 05:49:27 PM »
Great pics Gregg,

I have put another red line on exactly where the split is, and after seeing those pics I now feel that the wood floor is in the boat, it is flat when you walk on the carpet in the centre, and the fact that the carpet is slightly indented where the strakes are suggests that it is as should be!

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2018, 06:01:53 PM »
And yeah, hell of a motor, 1/8 marine grade stainless steel plate, transom already rebuilt and reinforced, with additional buoyancy compartments.

I've nearly totally rebuilt the motor with NOS parts, with help from a Senior Merc Tech Marine from Florida, so she really does perform like a rebuilt Saturn rocket :)

I do need to break her down again and replace the lower exhaust seal as on the last rebuild I bought a aftermarket replacement. Bad mistake as it's a hell of a lot of work to replace again.

Mike   

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2018, 06:38:13 PM »
Thanks again for the pics Gregg, I can now confirm that the boat must have a similar floor as I do have the sunken pocket at the back to allow the water to be released from the drain plug, that's where my bilge pump is. The buoyancy tanks are on the outer side of the transom supports.

So I need to strip out the carpet and seats including the rear seats, take some photos and post here for expert advice.

Thanks again all, I totally respect all your help, advice and guidance. Respect!!

Mike

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2018, 09:15:32 PM »
Check this out for a rebuild of a CVX16 …
http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=6642

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2018, 12:41:42 PM »
WOW thanks Gregg, that's really helpful, if you have any other links like that I'd really appreciate them. I'm thinking now maybe I should strip everything out and renew. I rebuilt both the front seats last year, the seats in the boat were the originals and even had the original suppliers details on them, I totally duplicated them but I laminated 3 layers of 1/4 ply with plenty of glue to get the curves just right.

I have a question, on those photos I didn't see any wooden cross members to support the floor, am I right in assuming cross members aren't needed? I always worry about putting additional things in as I worry that this may make the boat unstable or may well create fracture points where they wouldn't normally be.

Also, with the buoyancy foam, is it possible to put too much in? Is there a set amount that should be used? I have 4 buoyancy areas, 2 either side of the fuel tank at the mid section under the front vent and 2 at the rear quarters either side and inline with the splash well.

Do you know if it is still possible to purchase the aluminium and rubber rub rails or is another solution advisable?

Another question is that does the fuel tank need an additional earth even if the fuel gauge is earthed, I read this somewhere and I'm not sure if it is required or even sensible to do as if the earth ever became live for whatever reason I can imagine it wouldn't end well.

After seeing that string of photos I don't feel so bad about doing the work now and although it would take me all winter and a few thousand $ I can imagine it to be worth while as the boat would no doubt last for another 15 years at least.

I'd appreciate your thoughts...
Mike

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2018, 01:36:43 PM »
I have a question, on those photos I didn't see any wooden cross members to support the floor, am I right in assuming cross members aren't needed? I always worry about putting additional things in as I worry that this may make the boat unstable or may well create fracture points where they wouldn't normally be.
Should be a bulkhead at the bilge area, and possibly one near your feet.  When the floor is is place, it ties everything together.

Also, with the buoyancy foam, is it possible to put too much in? Is there a set amount that should be used? I have 4 buoyancy areas, 2 either side of the fuel tank at the mid section under the front vent and 2 at the rear quarters either side and inline with the splash well.
I doubt there is a condition of too much foam, there just isn't space to add too much.  Cost is one reason, another is how much displacement you require.  Figure roughly 50 lbs lift per cubic foot of foam.  Just insure enough displacement for the gross weight of craft and you'll be fine.

Do you know if it is still possible to purchase the aluminium and rubber rub rails or is another solution advisable?
Yes, new rub rail is available in both one and two peice models.

Another question is that does the fuel tank need an additional earth even if the fuel gauge is earthed, I read this somewhere and I'm not sure if it is required or even sensible to do as if the earth ever became live for whatever reason I can imagine it wouldn't end well. 
We call that grounding, but for argument, the fuel filler hose has a ground wire, otherwise the filler needs a ground.  This allows the pump to complete a "drain" for static charge.  Ever wonder why stations make you pump fuel in containers on the ground rather than sitting in a vehicle?  You could tie battery negative to the tank, but it's not required here to do so. 

After seeing that string of photos I don't feel so bad about doing the work now and although it would take me all winter and a few thousand $ I can imagine it to be worth while as the boat would no doubt last for another 15 years at least.

That is the core spirit of a Glastron enthusiast right there!

I'd appreciate your thoughts...
Mike
[/quote]
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2018, 02:49:55 PM »
Thanks Plugcheck, as always a fountain on knowledge and willing to share.

Much respected and appreciated!  :)

Mike.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2018, 09:20:29 AM »
OK so here goes....

Went down to the boat today and because of the location of the split I have needed to jack the boat up on the trailer in order to get fairly decent pics, these are all taken with me laying under the boat with a go pro. I will post the first set of pics which are where I have not yet touched the split. Then I will post the pics of where I have attacked it with a dremel, also seen in the photos, I have ground out the glass until there seem to either be no more split or at least a hair line fracture in the glass left, the depth has gone no more than 2mm from the surface of the gel coat.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2018, 09:21:48 AM »
next set of first pics

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2018, 09:22:55 AM »
Nest

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »
After grinding out the dead glass as best as possible.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
More, but again no water noticeable in the boat at all and now bilge water either.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
More

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2018, 10:54:45 AM »
Any thoughts Gregg or anyone?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2018, 11:12:20 AM »
Gel is cracked, fiberglass under is not cracked.
No water is getting into boat / bilge …
Patch gel and see what happens after use.

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
OK thanks, I purchased the west system Epoxy and after grinding out today I used the fine white glass fibres with the epoxy and hardener, it's used for bonding but the shop told me it would be perfect for this repair, I did some research and that seems to be true. the cracks are now filled and I need to sand them down with P80 and then with P1200 until I can get just below the Gel coat.

I'm no expert on this and to me if you look at those pics it looks like this has been an issue before and has been filled with something. I say this as there seems to be a white material in the deeper cracks that still remain, now this may well be salt as the boat is used in salt water and it has salt all over the hull, especially in places where the old Bunk trailer runs used to sit, you can see the white salt growth in those areas. I tested them today also and the white areas do clean of and they are salt.

But to me it looks like this has had work done previously along the strake, can anyone else please have a look and say what you think?

The floor is wood but is covered in glass, so I was mistaken, never really taken that much of a look, the photos you showed me now make much more sense as to the setup of the CVX16's so thanks again Gregg. :) 

Offline UKMike

• Glastron Carlson CVX16
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2018, 06:13:21 AM »
Does anyone know how thick the glass on the hull should be if it's all original?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Kinda depends on the area.  On my Timi, strip down the transom, and the glass is roughly 1/8", transition areas around hull to transom, and around strakes is 1/4".  I've cut up a number of boats for disposal(never a Glastron) and found the same.  When a Glastron hull is torn down, the hull is actually quite flimsy.  When you get cracks in the gel coat, it indicates that flexing or stress has occurred.  I doubt it's possible to make it all so rigid that cracks never happen, so we repair and restore as issues arise.  Since your cracking is gel coat layer, I'd do just what you are doing, grind out, fill, finish, then keep an eye on the areas.  That is quite a powerplant on your 16, so you are going to put your hull under stresses it wasn't designed for.  I'm all for it, but the damage goes with the forces the craft is seeing now.  Curious to know what top speed you have seen.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude