Author Topic: Hey guys......update on my CV16SS/Super  (Read 20586 times)

Offline 74CV16

Hey guys......update on my CV16SS/Super
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:49:05 PM »

Homemade Splashwell......more bodywork will be done to smooth it out when I paint it this Winter.
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

Re: Hey guys......update on my CV16SS/Super
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:00 PM »

Transom made solid
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 10:51:35 PM »

Carpet is going in
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 10:53:07 PM »

Custom made Dash

Small area of carpet sill needs to be glued and trimmed down the port side!!
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

Windshield end caps are back from the machine shop and are now installed, just not in this photo!

I'll take more tomorrow after I glue the rest of the carpet and install the seats
Go fast or go home!

74 Carlson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 01:05:23 AM »
Coming along nicely, didn't not know that started out as an I/O model. Do you plan on respraying in the original green metal flake?

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:59:16 AM »
Interesting project! Must be pretty good with your fiberglass! Keep us posted as the project continues.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »
Great work dude!

Love how you did the well and the dash.

Are you gonna take the remainder of the engine bay panels out?
(Either side of where the engine was)

If so, I'd consider a triangular gusset to replace what's left of em.
Not sure how structural they were, but may be beneficial due to changing the transom load with the outboard.

LOOKS GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!!!!!!!!

Fiberglass used to spook me. Not anymore.... after doing a ton of work with it.
The more I use it, the more I think of what I could build/customize with it :)

What did you use under the FG? Wood?
And what did you use? Mat/Cloth/BiAxial ???

Keep it up!

Looks like I'll be in a house within a month.
If my Intimidator sells, I'm gonna find a decent GT-150 hull for some frankensteining.

Where are you located???? Might be able to use your brain for some of my FG work on it :)

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
Oh, hey, I might have a couple trim pieces that could clean up and finish the recess to the transom.
They are from a GT-150, for the same spot, but length might not be enough.
If you take a measurement from the transom to the backside of the rubrail extrusion, I'll check em out.

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »
Coming along nicely, didn't not know that started out as an I/O model. Do you plan on respraying in the original green metal flake?

I'm going to paint it Plum Metallic where it used to be Metalflake Green

Interesting project! Must be pretty good with your fiberglass! Keep us posted as the project continues.

This was my first time ever doing fiberglass.  I watched a bunch of video clips online!  But now that I've done it, I've picked up what not to do and the stuff that works best......

Are you gonna take the remainder of the engine bay panels out?
(Either side of where the engine was)

If so, I'd consider a triangular gusset to replace what's left of em.
Not sure how structural they were, but may be beneficial due to changing the transom load with the outboard.

What did you use under the FG? Wood?
And what did you use? Mat/Cloth/BiAxial ???

Keep it up!

Looks like I'll be in a house within a month.
If my Intimidator sells, I'm gonna find a decent GT-150 hull for some frankensteining.

Where are you located???? Might be able to use your brain for some of my FG work on it :)

Shorty, if you look by the batterty mounted centerline I have the triangle gussets built in on either side.  I'll get a better picture for you.

I used 1/4" plywood, 2x2 strips, and 2x4s to build my splashwell first.  I even cut my holes with the hole saw before I laid fiberglass.

In the corners and along the edges I used cloth strips about 4 inches wide and overlapped them by 2" until I had 2 layers.  I used a 6oz woven cloth.  I wet the board in first then laid dry cloth over it and wet over the top.  I did this and waited for each layer.  My final top layer in the pan of the splashwell was a piece of woven cloth cut to exact size and wetted in in the same manner as the strips with 2 layers again.  I have about 3/16" thick fiberglass and the 1/4" plywood that gives everything strength.  I've filled it with water and it doesn't leak!!!

As far as where I live, I live in Colorado Springs, CO and since the Minnesota guys have the best Glastron site and the fact that I don't have one here in Colorado I am a member with you!  I would love to share my ideas and how I worked this fiberglass.  I'll get some more pictures and I'll measure those pieces of the transom for trim.  I'm not going to cut out the remainder of the engine bay walls as I'm using them as pans on either side for storage.  I'll be making a Canvas curtain that will snap all the way across the back from the top to the floor to cover it all up and for easy access.  My Tilt/Trim Pump will mount centerline on the transom from the inside with short lag screws.
Go fast or go home!

Shorty_GT-150

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 12:28:27 PM »
Nice. Good work!

I can't wait to start my next one... hopefully a keeper, but the guys know ME here so we all know how that will go.
Like Brian said to me on the phone one day..... "you're all about the build huh Shorty..." hahahahaaaa.... seems that way.

Keep it up man! Looks Great!

Maybe someday you can make a MN meet.... they are CRAZY! These guys do a great job with it!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »
I'm hoping I might be down this August.....just won't be painted Purple yet as we're going to take the motor off and do that this winter.

I'm glueing the rest of the carpet and installing my seats in about an hour.  Then I'll be hooking up the T/T Pump and filling the reservoir to remove air in the lines later this afternoon.

Boat goes into the water Saturday for initial splashdown since the solid transom transformation..........plus I'll get a chance to see how strong my transom and gussets are for this big Merc 1500 Tower.
Go fast or go home!

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »
Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you use a boat in Colorado Springs? Don't see much water around. I had to ask myself "Why wouldn't he just buy a CV16 designed for an outboard?" Then I realized there are probably not many boats in CO let alone Classic Glastron's. Guess we take for granted our abundant source of old Glastron's here in MN/WI.
Jason S.

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Maybe this is a dumb question but where do you use a boat in Colorado Springs? Don't see much water around. I had to ask myself "Why wouldn't he just buy a CV16 designed for an outboard?" Then I realized there are probably not many boats in CO let alone Classic Glastron's. Guess we take for granted our abundant source of old Glastron's here in MN/WI.

You can't be more right!  We have a couple of reservoirs and some high altitude lakes to play with.  My big run is up to Nebraska to Ogalalla where Lake McConnaughy is.  We go there for 2 weeks every year during 4th of July.  Family reunion and what not.........

I don't have anything as far as sources for my old Glastron.  I love the 70s Glastron Carlsons and have been a big fan since I was a kid.......now that I have one I have to build everything myself.  I guess that's where my Navy experience comes in!  I bought the CV16 SS from a guy that moved it out here from California a few years back.  It sat in the sun for a couple of years and rotted everything out uncovered.  I gave him $500 for the boat/trailer.  Then I found a guy that lives in Denver, CO that had a '75 Starbuck that was built here in Denver and it had a '76 Merc 1500 on it that was also from the Merc Plant here in Denver.  He sold the motor to me for $500 after a couple of days of trying to talk him down from $1000 that he had it listed for and he found out my background in the Navy and I served with his son!  So I got the motor for more than what I could afford and am now in contact with a buddy I served with for 5 years.

Which brings me to my Frankenstein.......I went with the outboard motor because I couldn't find a complete I/O that was going to work for me.  It was way out of my budget.  I found a couple of posts about replacing transoms on an outboard boat and I figured if I did something similar I could replace my transom and make a solid one.  I covered the holes inside and outside of the boat with fiberglass after replacing the now solid transom and there you have it.  I added a piece of 2x12 cut the width of the motor well inside of the boat and mounted it solid through the transom.  That part of the transom is 3.5" thick!!  I then made triangle gussets out of the 2x12 and mounted it to the piece on the transom to the floor.  Beneath the floor is another piece of 2x12 mounted on it's side and incorporated into the keel/stringers.  All new 3/4" plywood that has been glassed is laying beneath the carpet over the keel/stringer and everything is tied into itself.  I don't think I have to worry about strength on my transom at all!
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »

Go fast or go home!

Offline V153

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 10:03:40 PM »
Hey just make sure to check the fluid level in that (n)EverStart battery once in a while. Otherwise bad things can happen ...

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:15:23 PM by Hyperacme »
'81 C500_given away, bought back_75.1 mph
'81 Baja 15SS_140 Frankenrude_66.7 mph
'70 something SpeedCraft_(Allison 16R Clone)_69.0 mph
'79 CVZ19_given away
'71 V153_54.8 mph_wrecked

WALK TALL AND CARRY A BIG BILGE PUMP

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
Looking good! Are you the one I took all the measurements for on the seat frames?
Jason S.

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:35:10 PM »
yes Jason,

I'm actually building the correct seats right now as we speak out of Red Oak and it was getting expensive and time consuming.  So......I threw some cash at Overton's and got these to run for a couple of years and I'll finish the original style seats a little at a time.  They don't look too bad!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:37:24 PM by 74CV16 »
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »
What I'm looking for is some Rubrail Insert to put on my boat.  Do you guys have a good source for me to get some?
Go fast or go home!

Offline 74CV16

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 11:57:58 PM »
also.......

How does a Trim gauge work?  What is it reading?
Go fast or go home!