Author Topic: Newbie from MN  (Read 9462 times)

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: Newbie from MN
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 04:35:27 PM »
COOL !
That's the faster of the two designs ...

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 07:09:59 PM »
A few pics.  Got a change of oil for the lower, ordered the spark plugs, gonna order an impeller, drained the fuel and put in fresh.  Upon further inspection I'm not sure I can do much with the finish.  And if you'll look at the pic of the front casting deck there's a square that is screwed down, is that something that's original or is it someone flush mounting the tm control?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2018, 08:21:04 PM »
Look GOOD !

Brochure says it's a storage space ?
Open it up and see what's in there ...

You'd be surprised at what wet sanding / compounding / FI2 / waxing can do to dull flake ...
Try a spot and see ... Bad scratch's don't look so bad if there shinny scratch's ..

I would do a very good / close inspection of fuel tank for rust and crap, maybe even removing it and flushing /sealing it.
Sucking crap out of rusted or bad gas will ruin your day ... or your motor ..

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 05:39:49 AM »
Look GOOD !

Brochure says it's a storage space ?
Open it up and see what's in there ...

You'd be surprised at what wet sanding / compounding / FI2 / waxing can do to dull flake ...
Try a spot and see ... Bad scratch's don't look so bad if there shinny scratch's ..

I would do a very good / close inspection of fuel tank for rust and crap, maybe even removing it and flushing /sealing it.
Sucking crap out of rusted or bad gas will ruin your day ... or your motor ..
I opened it up, it's just the hull of the boat under there, but It's the perfect size for a recessed TM control pan.  Maybe I can hinge it and store the anchor in there....

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:43:09 AM by redneckgearhead »

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 08:46:07 PM »
Ok so my lower unit is making butter.  So is it safe to say I need new seals?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 08:56:06 PM »
Yep !

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 08:57:25 PM »
Yep !
Got em on order.  I should have just ordered them when I ordered the impeller so now I'm paying shipping twice. Oh well, such is life.

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »
I was gonna order online, but a good friend recommended a local guy so I think I'll source the parts local.  I pulled the lower unit and found the culprit.  A leakingshift shaft seal.  Found lots of sediment in it as well. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:33:30 AM by redneckgearhead »

Offline Rich_V174SS

• 1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 11:31:27 AM »
I was gonna order online, but a good friend recommended a local guy so I think I'll source the parts local.  I pulled the lower unit and found the culprit.  A leakingshift shaft seal.  Found lots of sediment in it as well. 

I do a lot of these. Nine times out of ten the suspect seal is the drive shaft seal below the water pump and my shop has the upper bearing/seal assembly in stock. I'm replacing them constantly. One thing you have to look out for is if there's any pitting or surface wear on the drive shaft where it makes contact with the oil seal. If there's any roughness or grooves worn into the shaft you'll probably have to replace the shaft because it will always leak even with a new seal.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:33:05 AM by Rich_V174SS »
1967 V174 Crestflite SuperSport Modified
1987 Mercruiser 190 3.7LX/Alpha One

1970 V176 Swinger
1983 Mercury 115

Offline redneckgearhead

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 11:38:29 AM »
I do a lot of these. Nine times out of ten the suspect seal is the drive shaft seal below the water pump and my shop has the upper bearing/seal assembly in stock. I'm replacing them constantly. One thing you have to look out for is if there's any pitting or surface wear on the drive shaft where it makes contact with the oil seal. If there's any roughness or grooves worn into the shaft you'll probably have to replace the shaft because it will always leak even with a new seal.
Thanks for the advice!