Author Topic: Ethanol and gas additives?  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Villager19

Ethanol and gas additives?
« on: August 30, 2020, 11:07:32 AM »
So I've been running 91 Octane, ethanol-free gas in my 1979 CVX-18, except for one tank of 93 Octane gas from Shell, which I assume had some ethanol in it.

There are gas stations around that sell ethanol-free gas, but they are almost always a little out of the way. It's been shared in the forums before, but here it is web site that maps out gas stations that sell ethanol-free gas: https://www.pure-gas.org/

I spoke with a local marine about their gas, and they said they are running 5% ethanol. It would be convenient to get the gas there on the water, but I've heard the ethanol is not good for carbs.

Any feedback on running gas with ethanol in it would be appreciated.

Alternately, is there an additive that anybody uses to neutralize or combat the effects of ethanol?

Or is anybody using an additive even with ethanol-free gas?

I found this link about marine fuel additives: https://www.solarsailor.com/best-boat-engine-fuel-additive/. STA-BIL 360 is for sale at Autozone...
Illinois Dave

1979 Glastron Carlson CVX-18
2014 Crownline 215 SS

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Ethanol and gas additives?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Always a bit of snake oil concerning additives of any sort, but how can you go wrong with a product with Tron in the name?    I try not to use alcohol in my marine fuel applications, but let's be honest, 98% of the gasoline sold in the United States has some ethanol in it.   Ethanol bonds to water molecules and allows it to be burned.  Marine applications always have plenty of water around to be absorbed.   The real issue lies with older systems, the ethanol attacks rubber components with a vengeance.  I've even had some carb kits marketed as compatible, but found they were not.   I checked by soaking the parts in E85 for several days.  Cliff sells a Accel pump for qjet that I trust.   I have a few older garden implements here that hate ethanol, so I made a device that removes it by adding water.  Good for working with small quantities (2-3 gallons), but impractical for cars/boats.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
Heard about Startron a few years ago .. Put some in my 2 cycle gas can for weed whipper / leaf blower. Gas was still good after one year. So .. I've been using it in boat fuel tank also.
Also a splash of Sea foam to every tank ...

Offline ford-bldr

• supermoters.net
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
I happen to work for the number one fuel blend manufacturer in the country.
We make base stocks for all sorts of additive companies.
We sell to the refining side of the fuel business by the tanker loads.

I'm on the Specialty Lubrication side (Heavy Industry / Steel / Food Processing)

On the refinery/ lubrication side, our biggest customer of our technology is Shell Oil.
Our single biggest user is the military. Their fuel is always questionable.
     I can't say they use this but it does have a GSA number... wink.

I am not a fuel additive guru, although I did apply for that position once on the internet.

This is what I use in my Vintage cars and all my boats, my Gator, chainsaw, weed eater WITH non ethanol gas.

This is not a promotion on my part.

1 GALLON TREATS 200 GALLONS

Read the Amazon reviews... :  0131-004S Neutra Fuel Stabilizer

https://www.amazon.com/Schaeffer-Manufacturing-0131-004S-Neutra-Stabilizer/dp/B00JF2KX6K/ref=sr_1_37?dchild=1&keywords=schaeffer%2Boil&qid=1598916483&sr=8-37&th=1

« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 07:02:05 PM by ford-bldr »
Seems all my hobbies require Alcohol and Fossil Fuels...

8' Glen-L MiniMaxed Hydro
16' Checkmate Merc 150
22' Pachanga 350 Mag
22' Velocity 350 Mag
28' Velocity 600 hp Merlin block
20' Century Arabian 454 V Drive
17' Laser tunnel hull
16'CV16 Project

https://www.supermotors.net/users/Snakoil

Offline Villager19

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 10:30:15 PM »