Author Topic: My new ride... '72 V-166 Starflight  (Read 16877 times)

Offline MarkS

Re: My new ride... '72 V-166 Starflight
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 05:24:33 AM »
Mark, do you trailer yours in the down or up config?
My Johnson has a flip down brace (shallow water or trailering?) that puts it about half way between.  The locks on the motor catch the ears on this brace, locking the motor in that position, so that's where I put mine when trailering.   You just have to be careful going thru any major dips, uneven driveways, etc. as the skeg can get pretty close to the ground.  If I tilt all the way up, the carbs dump fuel out the vents into the splashwell making a mess.http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae264/MarkSmith_2010/Johnson002.jpg[/img]]
Never have figured out the purpose of the knurled button beside the lock lever.  It pushes in, but the pin that sticks out inside doesn't catch anything unless it's tilted all the way up, then the "up-lock" catches, so I'm baffled!
(Sorry about the goofy pic post, guess I forgot how to do it right Gregg!)  Gettin' old I guess.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:18:09 AM by Hyperacme »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
Probably too late to respond. You are on the road I am sure, but when I had my non power tilt/trim older (85) 50 HP merc, I used to lift it and stick a 2x4 in there for traveling. After some bouncing and loss of one chunk of wood, I smartened up and screwed some "eyes" into the ends and attached some lengths of chain with clips to keep if from falling out on the road and killing anyone.
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag

Offline catchnedge

• Donate members
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 10:54:21 PM »
Well, made it 1/2 way home... in Little Rock this evening.  Trailer did just fine, other than spitting a little grease out.  I am going to have to find a better system then the big strap used across the hull in back to secure to trailer... that strap is making marks on the hull and rubbed a spot off top of engine.  >:(    I think I will eventually weld a bar across the back of trailer to use for both securing the boat from the tow eyes and for the transom saver.

Mark, your engine has an all together different configuration that this one... I'll take pics and post so you can see later.  Your flip down brace that secures is nice.  I don't have any trim, it has a small U-shaped flip up rod that raises the engine only about 1/8 (I guess for shallow water mooring/possibly trailering) and then the "all the way up" lever.  You're right... that way dumps stuff out onto splash well and engine!  I was going to use the flip up rod, and it looks like the engine has claw type clamps that will hold on to it (like if it's placed in reverse?) but it wouldn't latch down tight?  Don't know why, so I couldn't secure it that way.  Once I get my trailer rigged up for the transom saver it won't be an issue any more.  It's trailering ok for now all the way up.

Ross, I thought about using a piece of wood also... I keep a 2x4 in my fishing boat to place under the old outboard I use when parking in shallow water... it works great, but I've never tried that for trailering.  Probably would work just fine with everything tied down tight.

Thanks for all the help.

Mark
Mark
'62 Surflite 153 Hardtop, '63 Evinrude Lark III--"Gator 62"
'74 CV-16 Outboard, '86 Merc 90ELPTO--"Green Light"
'97 Pro-Line 202 Sportsman, '06 Yamaha 150hp--"At Ease"