Author Topic: Wood advise floor transom stringer g500 meteic  (Read 1619 times)

Offline Mangycat

Wood advise floor transom stringer g500 meteic
« on: December 25, 2022, 12:55:26 AM »
Ok I have decided to use wood to replace floor stringer and transom. Going to use vinyl ester and glass cloth. But im confused on wood . Plywood marine or cabinet grade ? Or something else ? No composites. Also stringer laminate out of Plywood ? Or solid board like what was originally in boat.? I need to understand wood grades and types  cdx treated ?     Type pine birth maple???? Any advice appropriated

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Wood advise floor transom stringer g500 meteic
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 06:43:26 AM »
This is a topic where opinions will vary.  I've researched the composites but do not have a source nearby.   I use standard construction grade materials on stringers similar to original, making certain to coat them with thinned resin to increase moisture resistance and for cloth/resin to bond better.   Use a high quality plywood on the transom, less likely to have voids, floors use the same ply or flooring plywood, no OSB.   Absolutely do not use any treated materials(cca).    The materials Glastron used lasted 30+ years with decent care, keep dry, inside storage.     Again, this is just my opinion, there are many ways to restore a boat.  There are dozens of restoration threads on this site, take some time to decide what is your best path forward.    Good luck to you, please pist some pictures of your restoration progress.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Rotek

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2022, 08:48:59 AM »
Hey, take a look at my restoration of CV16-SS.

http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=9169.0

I am also not using coosa or other composites because I can't get any of those materials locally.
At first I was disappointed because of that, but now I see that the result with wod is really good.
The restoration is still in progress, but you can see how I did some things and I believe the final result will be better than the original.

I'm interested to see the progress of your boat.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2022, 02:36:49 PM »
We did mine about 10 years ago, and didn't do stringer.
Composite was kind of new, at least to us, plus I had a money limit.
We used marine ply from Menards and polylester, I don't think vinylester was around back then or I would have used it.
Original transom wood thickness was 3/4 inch, we got a 1/2 inch 4 x 6 sheet of marine ply, sandwiched it with resin and used a router to trim back down to 3/4 inch between splash well and hull. Deck wouldn't fit back on hull until we trim it .. LOL  Did some head scratching trying to figure out why it didn't fit ..
I sealed all hole on transom with thinned down resin.
Wished I had used composite .. But was more for "Piece of mind" then worrying about it ever needing repair.

Just don't tell anyone on Facebook what your doing .. and you should be fine ..   ::)

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2022, 06:36:24 AM »
I used cabinet grade 11 ply Birch on the GT 150, it turned to mush in about 6 years. I had really thought I?d done a good job of sealing it. Everything I?ve done since that boat I have used marine plywood exclusively, this was a personal choice based on the fact that the marine plywood is void free, and it?s pretty straight as opposed to exterior grade plywood, which tends to be warped and is a lot harder to hold in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline 75starflight

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2022, 08:41:13 AM »
I used cabinet grade 11 ply Birch on the GT 150, it turned to mush in about 6 years. I had really thought I?d done a good job of sealing it.

I did the same as above on my V-179 and it lasted about 6 years also and was done.

Avoid Cabinet grade plywood! Stick with marine ply only!
1975 v-179 starflite

Offline Mangycat

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2022, 06:52:55 PM »
U just sealed the deal marine it is

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 06:31:50 AM »
Another thing I like about the marine plywood is, it?s very dense, I always use sheet rock screws to screw everything together to hold it basically while the resin is curing, but I also just leave them in. The marine plywood is so dense they won?t counter sink themselves, so I would always counter sink The places where I was going to put them, Jimmy would always give me such a bad time for being so detailed. I miss that dude

Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 11:28:06 AM »
" I miss that dude "

YEP ...

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2023, 07:22:21 PM »
If you haven?t purchased cabosil yet, and you?re planning on using it, I have five kitty litter containers full

Joe
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !