Author Topic: Second Battery  (Read 1761 times)

Offline BattleGT

Second Battery
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:48:19 PM »
Hey everybody!

I’m new to the forum as I just bought my first Glastron. ‘75 GT160. It’s in great shape other than some cosmetic stuff that I will do over the winter. My family has a cabin on a lake with a couple sandbars so we spend quite a bit of time partying at the bars. One of the conditions my wife gave me for approval to buy the boat was I need to install a stereo system and I’m not going to argue with that! I would like to install a deep cycle battery to run the electronics. So here is my question: anyone on here with a GT160 installed a second battery? If so, where? I’m kinda imaging leaving the starting battery in the original spot under the bench seat and the house battery in the bow. Aside from securing it properly, any other issues with that people can think of? I know best practice is to have them close 
to each other but there’s not room for that in the current location.

Thanks for any suggestions people have as I’m new to this.

PS. I saw the pics from Redwing! Looked like a good time! Hope to join in the future.

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: Second Battery
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 09:52:44 PM »
I can't help with the placement per se, but up front would be my suggestion, seconded by opposite of the starting battery at the stern.  Batteries are heavy, but operating with two would allow for a smaller starting battery.  How long and loud along with system design, or number of speakers, amps, sub, etc, will determine the size and construction of the deep cycle battery.    Charging while operating boat could be achieved with a battery isolator.  Shore charging I would recommend a two battery conditioner like the fishing folks use, great for storage as well.  We like pictures of projects, good luck on yours.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 11:59:27 AM »
I’d get one of these. Save the weight of an extra battery. These sound amazing and will play music longer than you can party. waterproof too.

You don’t have to cut up your boat and once you have one gastron you’ll soon have too so now your stereo can move with you.

Just a thought.

JBL Boombox - Waterproof Portable Bluetooth Speaker - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759GC766/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_.ikFFbC28F1ZS

Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Online Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum BattleGT !

I agree with Jason about a blue tooth or what ever they are, speaker system.
Just stream from your cell phone .. and for price of radio, speakers, amp & battery .. you could get a nice one, plus not having to cut holes for radio and speakers in boat.
On one of the Glastron Facebook groups they get a lot of recommendations for this set up.

Please post some pictures of your GT !

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2020, 03:22:43 PM »
Welcome
and please post pictures  ;D
as far as the tunes go, there are many different options, the portables are great for the beach.
Myself, running on the river i like to have good tunes while cruising WOT so built in is my choice.
i had a GT160 project that i never got to so i can see what you are saying about space for a good deep cycle.
i do know from having the GT150 that it liked weight in the front (i put a bow tank in ours) it handled vary well at 45 to 50 MPH that way.
the GT160 has a vary similar hull so that may be the case as well.
seems like if you did not need the ski locker that would be a great place for it.
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline BattleGT

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 12:49:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Not sure what our plan is yet, but I think we are still leaning towards installing a system. I’ve got a plan that won’t involve any cutting so not worried about any of that.

Deuce- the ski locker is where I’m leaning right now for the battery install. I have a thought on rigging up a system to lock the skis to the outside of the locker (one on each side). More to come on that and currently low on the priority list. :)

I will post pics soon!