Author Topic: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration  (Read 21061 times)

Offline awc105

Re: Project Carla: 74' CV-16SS Restoration
« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2023, 03:59:22 PM »
Well I couldn't leave well enough alone...

I had a great time sanding gnats off my clear coat, 567 of them to be exact...Anyways I used 320 grit by hand to carefully sand away until the bug remnants were gone. Once that was done I scuffed the whole surface with a red then gray scotchbrite, solvent wiped, tack ragged...Yesterday I shot the final 2 layers of clear they came out perfect! I'm really digging the look, personally I prefer the more subdued metallic look than the original large flake look so I'm very happy with my paint choice.

One thing to note was I accidentally sanded through the white in two spots while removing  bugs, so I ended up having to repair those before reshooting clear, I sprayed them and then blended the edges into the existing white, and that came out great too, could never tell I had to repair it :)

For those in the future that may be considering using Awlcraft SE/2000, I thinned to the recommended percentage for all coats, sprayed at 29 psi with a 1.4mm tip, let all paint mixes induce for 10 minutes. If you want to use the two-rag method for solvent wiping use Awlprep solvent T0170 as it stays on the surface longer than T0008. For all coats I mixed in 1L batches, that way I could reduce time between gun refills, the pot life is something like several hours so definitely not as stressful as gelcoat... Also, buy more reducer than you think you need.

The gun I used was a devilbiss SLG (might be a clone) that I bought at a garage sale for $20 last year.

Plan is for it to set and cure for 2 weeks while I figure out the logistics of getting it flipped back over and put on the trailer.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2023, 04:01:28 PM »
Pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #142 on: September 18, 2023, 04:03:08 PM »
Spray gun
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: September 18, 2023, 05:20:37 PM »
Great job getting the bugs worked out lol.
Personally, I prefer the giant flakes, but nothings going to take away from the awesome job. You?re doing on this boat, that metallic blue is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: September 18, 2023, 05:50:05 PM »
Ya .. Love the blue .. almost looks "satin like" for lack of a better term

Offline awc105

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2023, 07:55:45 PM »
Well its been another busy couple of weeks. In preparation for flipping the boat, I had to finish up a couple things on the trailer, painting the rims and putting air in the tires. The rims got a good 10 foot paint job with some rustoleum (yes I painted the side walls of the tires, plan to buy three new tires eventually and couldn't be bothered to mask off the tires). Once that was done I took a little trip to a weigh station to measure the trailer weight, 640 pounds. Once the boat is done I can re-weigh and subtract to find the total weight of the boat. This will be nice to know because I've been working on some spreadsheets to estimate prop pitch and max speed based on the book "Propeller Handbook," by Dave Gerr. Most of the calculations require total vessel weight which I have been guessing at for now based on those written in the 1974 brochure. Anyway, I'll attach the spreadsheet if anyone is interested, maybe try it out with your boat and see how close it correctly estimates prop pitch, diameter, and top speed for your boat. My calculations resulted in a 15 x 23P prop and top speed of 58 MPH.

The exciting news to report though is that she is back on the trailer! We used a standard engine crane on the stern with a plate that bolts to the keyhole, and then our gantry on the bow with some large sling straps. The lift went fine and I was able to pull out the stand from underneath, then we backed the trailer in underneath. With some generous manpower we flipped the hull over in mid air and gently lowered it onto the trailer. Unfortunately though we did end up scratching the stern in one spot...it can never be 100%...so I'll have to fix that soon, prefer to just get it done now before winter.

That's all for now, once the paint scratch is repaired I'll likely switch to winter mode and focus on some small tasks like getting all the metal trim pieces cleaned and brushed or chromed. Maybe I'll start rebuilding the seats too who knows

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2023, 07:57:03 PM »
More pics and spreadsheet
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2023, 08:03:56 PM »
She looks like a boat again!

In other news I think I mentioned working some exhaust flange adapters a while back because I really want to use a pair of aluminum manifolds, and they just don't exist for an old ford small block...Anyways here are some snapshots of the adapter I came up with. Adapts from 302W to LS, 7/16" thick. Sometime this winter I'll throw a piece of plate on our CNC mill and actually make one, until then I made some 3D prints to prototype.

Ok, that's really all for now :)

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #148 on: October 08, 2023, 05:49:49 PM »
As fall continues to approach I am trying to find things to keep me busy on the project during the winter. First on the list is metal finishing. I gathered all the metal hardware that goes on the boat, all the aluminum parts will be brush finished, and everything else will be chrome plated. Luckily I did end up finding a jetson-style stern light on ebay (similar but not exactly the same as the factory one), however it isn't compatible with the socket that came on the boat. What I'll probably end up doing is buying a brand new light and socket and swapping the jetson part over to the new tube and socket.

In other news, since I have the boat right side up again for the first time in two years, I couldn't help but throw the engine in and play around with some exhaust piping. I have a couple options, in all cases I intend to run the exhaust over the top of the stern rather than thru-hull. See pics for what I am thinking. I really like the look of the 45 degree pipes tilted off to the side. I also have some 3" silencers that I want to use as well, so I may end up cutting the 45s and welding them to the silencers. I also wheeled the drive up close to get an idea what she might look like when done. It's nice when a vision of what you've been working so long on starts to become real!

I'm really glad we decided on getting the gantry hoist, it makes putting in and taking the engine out super easy! 

The paint scratch is visible in some of the photos, unfortunately I'll have to wait until next year to fix it, the temperature is too low now to paint... oh well...

Anyways I hope everyone is doing well and getting in their last rides of the season.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #149 on: October 08, 2023, 05:50:50 PM »
More pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2023, 06:06:34 PM »
Ian just installed a V6 in his CV16SS ..
Looking for more pictures of stern ...

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »
Ian's CV
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 06:22:17 PM by Hyperacme »

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
I like the look of the exhaust tips at a 45 angle. I'd opt for the silencers since it make cruising a bit quieter and more enjoyable. I used muffled tips from Dennis Moore on my thru hulls.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline awc105

« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2023, 01:59:25 PM »
@Hyperacme Funny enough I saw Ian's setup not too long before you posted, I like how he has implemented it.

@Glastronjohn18 Oh I agree, I think I'll have a local weld shop cut and re-weld the silencers into the 45 pipes

Well fall appears to be upon us, all the boats have been winterized and covered for winter...  time to change gears.

One of the things on my list was to paint my Holley 4160 a different color, the black paint job that came with it left a lot to be desired. Originally I bought it from ebasicpower as a refurbed unit. Be warned though, when I disassembled it I found there was no power valve gasket and the secondary float spring was missing...maybe that explains why I saw fuel dripping out the venturi's the last time I ran the thing? Based on this I decided to do a full rebuild in case they made any other errors. Anyways I wanted something close to the factory Holley Gold finish, maybe a bit nicer. So I opted for duplicolor engine enamel Gold DE1604 for most parts, and duplicolor Aluminum DE1615 for the throttle plate.

While metal finishing will be a winter long project, the next sub-project I plan to tackle is rebuild the shifter, it's pretty rough...

-Andrew

Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline awc105

« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2023, 02:00:38 PM »
More Pics
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2023, 05:00:12 AM »
Keep up the good work man! I cant wait to see you hit the water with her all done. After my first resto job, I am more into a quick and dirty job for my future projects. But I still love to see someone take the time and do what you are doing. Do you think you will be hitting the water this next spring or summer? You seem like you are getting so close man. I would love to come over to your side of the state with one of my project boats and join you one day when you get her wet.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 05:02:13 AM by Fatlenny »

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2023, 07:49:47 PM »
That carb paint job came out very nice. Looks Good. For Holley carb parts and service  I use Allstate Carburator, check out their website  https://allcarbs.com/
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline awc105

« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2024, 01:08:42 PM »
Well, after a long winter hiatus, we are back. Had a number of other non-boat related projects that needed to be completed and I figured since the boat was taking a winter nap it would be the perfect excuse to get them done!

Currently it's fluctuating between 40F and 70F here in SW Michigan, I decided to pull the boat out a little earlier than normal, but I missed it, can you blame me? My dad has his sea-ray in the workshop we share currently, he's almost done putting in a new transom, so, much to the irritation of my wife, work continues in the garage!

At the end of last season I finished the hull side paint and was able to put her back on the trailer, now I have dived right into prepping the topside for paint. Most of the topside fairing I completed a few years back, before I flipped her upside down, so really the only remaining fairing that needs to be done is for the bow. I've noticed that on almost all CV16s that I've seen, the bow has these ripples in it, I believe they are from in the factory when they glassed in the foam boards on the bottom side of the cap it caused the cap to warp...The location of the warpage can also be seen on a brisk morning when the dew visibly condenses in the areas where the foam is not located. Anyways, I set out to level the high/low spots and make it smooth. I am a few applications of fairing compound in, but I think I am nearing the end. To make it quicker work I purchased an air powered 15" sanding block. Hoping to complete the leveling by the end of this week. Then I will begin the same painting process that was done before. Epoxy barrier coat, finish primer, topcoat.

Still haven't tackled the metal bits or the shifter yet, paint is priority.

I purchased another decal that wasn't able to find for the longest time, even though I am designing a new engine cover, I wanted to use the original CV-SS decal. Well I ended up finding one on ebay, here's the link if anyone else needs one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/175705204533

@Fatlenny
Thanks! Yeah, I am hoping to be on the water by the end of the year (likely without seats or an engine cover), once the paint is done, the drive system should go together quickly, I get what you mean about long-term projects, they can really drag on. I think for my next boat project I may look for a 22-26ft vee with a bravo 1 and a big block, ut one that doesn't have any rot or gelcoat issues... and at some point I would love a CV19 with a jet drive. But certainly would love to get together and tear up a lake!

@Glastronjohn18
Hey thanks! Checked out the link, I think I will be purchasing anything carb related from them from now on!

Anyways, that's all for now, will be checking regularly from now on.

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla

Offline Fatlenny

« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2024, 07:31:11 PM »
would love to tear up some lakes very soon. had a blast with the little 14 footer last summer. see photo below. I picked up a cvx16 outboard that I am really messing with the idea in my head to convert to a jet drive with a small block. any way I go she needs a transom floors and interior. I have an old 140 merc that would go nice on it instead of doing an insane jet drive conversion. The CVX16 is a future project. I am currently working on a 1979 Checkmate Jetmate 2. This thing is going to be fun. I am getting ready to tab some floor supports in and glass in a new floor. then on to interior. I am hoping to have her ready early this summer.

Short vid of starting up the jet for a buddy.
https://youtube.com/shorts/_z8jFblTp0s?si=lH6mJrQIhkJ81kKC
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:44:47 PM by Fatlenny »

Offline awc105

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2024, 10:34:05 AM »
I've been sick with the flu the last week or so, however I did end up getting some work done (probably more than I should have health-wise...). I finished fairing the bow, it is nice and smooth now with no ripples, so now it was time to do a skim coat to fill in all the pin holes.

On the stern I went back and revisited the joints where I reattached the engine cover flanges, it seems the PL glue I used to glue on the wood blocks underneath had shrunk over the last few winters, so I could feel a slight dip in the surface when rubbing my hand over it, also I noticed what appears to be some sort of oil leaching out of the joint, probably also from the PL glue. I was worried this might fish-eye when doing the paint so I took a dremel tool and ground a trench along the joint down to bare glass and then filled it in with fairing compound, should be all good now.

I think I have finally settled on the fabric I want to use for the interior, I ordered several 6x6 samples from sailrite, the one I like the most is Morbern Carrara Blue: https://www.sailrite.com/Morbern-Carrara-Blue-54-Vinyl-Fabric, I haven't actually received the samples yet but I think I will go with the blue. I've been toying around with the idea of light tan or white / off-white upholstery, but we'll see how I feel when the samples arrive tomorrow. Anyone have any guess  how many yards of fabric will be needed to do the seats? I thinking about 15 yards.

For the rub rail I spoke to Eagle Aluminum to see if I could get a sample of the BRR-744-BK (old p/n V-744-BK) to check fitment, but apparently they don't do samples so I ended up ordering the 60ft roll, I'll go on faith that it fits based on what other users here have said, stuff isn't cheap though for just being a vinyl insert...

I also ordered a few gallons of gelcoat for painting the inside of the boat, bilge, ski locker, etc... I will likely wait until the topside paint is done so I don't have to worry about overspray

On the subject of carpet, I'm going back and forth between regular blue marine carpet, or some of that foam insert stuff that imitates a teak deck, maybe that's too modern looking, not sure yet..
The goal has always been to keep it mostly original looking with a "twist" of modernity, but not so much that it takes away the charm and character these old boats have.

The wheels of progress are in motion!

@Fatlenny Haha sounds like you've got a lot on your plate lol, a jet conversion would be cool! Would be interesting to see the mods you'd have to make to the hull for the jet drive intake! Loving the checkmate!

-Andrew
Andrew
74' CV-16SS - Carla