Author Topic: "starting over"  (Read 2953 times)

Offline WetRaider

"starting over"
« on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Sometimes I'd like to take what I learned on this GT and just start over.  Fresh boat, fresh build, newfound patience ... Anybody find me a 68/69 GT 160 that is a cheap project, I'm tempted.  I troll Jerry Sellner's collector boats site and visit the one he has up for sale.  I can't justify 1800 for a project with no motor at this time, though ...

Went out to drill some holes in the floor today, so I can get foam poured in ...

First plugs out, cross section looks like brand new wood (as it should, dang it) ... but the bottom had condensation on it.  I did roll it with resin before laying it down, so I stuck my arm in the hole and found about 2-3 quarts of water on each side of the center stringer.  It's coming out crystal clear, with some fresh sawdust, and I think I figured out how it got under there ...

I suppose I should let it sit and air out before I pour the foam ... maybe give it the weekend and pour on Monday? 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: "starting over"
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:33:32 PM »
The older GT160 will not be an easy one to find and if you do it will be expensive, and more then likely need some work.
The Tri-Hull will beat you up if ya want to do 50 mph plus ...
It is a Super Cool looking boat though !

How bad is Jerry's GT ?
Will he take $1500 ?
Or put a motor on it for some extra cash ?

If you list your GT as the James Bond boat on Craigslist that would add an extra $2000 to selling price ...
Sorry ... That wasn't very helpful ...

None of use will make a profit on our G/C's when it comes time to sell ... So this addiction isn't about money ...
But we all think OUR G/C is the COOLEST model they ever made ...
If a GT160 would make you happy ... I say DO IT !
Just tell the wife it has more room for the kid's   ... 

Offline kert0307

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
I would let it dry out and seal up however you think it got in there. Side note...how big of a hole did you drill if you can stick your arm in? I think I only had 1.5" diameter holes every two feet when I foamed my floor...

I know what you mean about starting over though...just try not to focus on the metal-flake envy lol

Offline Jerry

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Dan, Jerry Sellner has boats that are  not on his web sight, and so does his Brother Jim. He comes across "builders" all the time. Drop him a note. My neighbor has this one. It's really a "collector" for a Glastron. I think he will sell.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »
My thinking is that I'll take another project because I enjoy the personal work ... but I have to have one running that I can play with while I have a project to work on.
There was a '69 160 that sold for somewhere around $500 in the last year or so.  I love the look of those 160's, there really isn't anything else like them.  I'd take one that requires everything ... floor, transom, seats, gauges, motor, controls, gelcoat (I'd only ask that the rails and windshield be complete) ... When I'm done, it would be 100% custom - like they do on Overhaulin' ... respect what it was, but make it now & make it wow.
As far as power ... I wouldn't want it to be a racer, so cruising at 45 would be great and probably capable with 85/90 hp.

I might check in with Jerry again.  I did ask if he needed architectural work done at one time, thinking maybe I could talk him into a barter, but no luck.  I'm not dying to jump on one right away - with patience (and probably a little coin), I'll find a good one.  I was just kinda bummed to find a little moisture where I wasn't suppose to have any ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline carlsoncvx18

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
well no matter how well you think that you have sealed them, water still enters somewhere. That is why you should put drain holes in the stringers and store bow up.
1987 CVX18.     1968 Glastron alpha sail boat
1977 GT150
1986 CV23
1984 Intimiadator
1981 CV27
1969 V-180 fundeck

Offline still_fishin

• Donate members
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »
My uncle does this for a living, he is also who taught me.......his words, "I don't care how you seal it, water will always get in there. Give it a way out."
'80 Intimidator
'85 CV23

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
I've seem Jerry's GT 160. It is a nice boat and I am sure he has a motor he could throw on it.

Yea, don't worry to much about the water.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 08:28:39 AM »
Looks like Jerry's GT has been reduced to 1500.

I'd make plans for a trip up there for 800 no motor, no trailer ... I'd likely put it on a new trailer anyway, but the one underneath it isn't worth 700.  That's just me being silly.  And the patience thing weighing in.  If the price were right for me, I'd move on it.  As long gas the price is right for him, I have time.  It's nothing that would see water this season, or next, realistically.  Hard to park money in something you can't use & you know you won't get it back out of.

Dan O'Connor