Author Topic: New to the Boating World need advice  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Maxxx

New to the Boating World need advice
« on: June 29, 2019, 10:27:18 AM »
I’m looking at a 1966 glastron on a trade. I think it may be a v-150 or v-152... not very sure. I have been around boating a good bit as we have some late 1990s jet skis but I want something to tube/fish or just for all around Tom fullery out on the water. The floor has been replaced but there are no seats. My main concerns are what I need to look out for. I’m going to go view it in person this week and I want to know what on these boats usually breaks and where to check for cracks and rotten wood. The motor is a 80hp evinrude speedifour. Are these solid motors and again what do I need to look for?

Offline Plugcheck

• Donate members
Re: New to the Boating World need advice
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 12:14:15 PM »
"Buying a boat" should be the title of a book, probably is, I don't know.  There are numerous items to look for, too much to list.  The picture doesn't show the numbers, so how long has it been since it was last registered?  Had it been stored outside in the elements a long time?   A water test is best to know how everything works?  At a minimum running the OB on muffs is next best.  Honestly, cheap boats can quickly become quite expensive.  Sounds like your looking for a running boat to use this season, and not a project.  My guess that one is going to take a lot of work.
Michael
1979 CVZ-18 388 CI Vortec Mouse
1980 CVX-16SS 140 Mercruiser
1979 CVX-16 Johnson 175
2002 Bennington 2275CC 90 Mercury
1985 Intimidator project
1989 Lowe 200 Redneck fishin Toon
2001 Godfrey Sweetwater pontoon 115 Rude

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 01:36:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum Maxxx !

Looks like it could even be a V155 with the solid color hull.
All boats in that range (V150, V150SS, V152 & V155)  had same length and beam, with some having more trim options.
Wood rot will be main concern, make sure they didn't just put a piece of plywood over old floor and call it replaced.
Poke around transom for soft wood, around any thru transom fittings.
Check online if you can still get parts for the motor, like impeller, fuel pump and ignition parts. Stuff that needs replacement.
Pretty sure most shops won't work on motors that old.
Might also be a electric shift LU. Parts might be hard to find for LU.
If motor hasn't been started in a long time, might be a good idea to check it out before starting.
Like Mike said .. A cheap boat can become a VERY expensive boat !

Offline Maxxx

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »
Busy
Out
Another
Thousand

We are looking for something we can mess around and slowly start fixing up as we go. This summer it would be getting it the motor going and a few lawn chairs. This is a second owner boat. The first guy said it was running last year and the guy I may get it off of said all this so I want to check everything out. What all do I need for the gas I put in it to get it running? I know I’ll need fuel additive and led additive. Is there anything else?

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »
You'll need a 6 gal. fuel tank with fitting that connect to motor, regular unleaded gas and 2 stroke oil mixed at 50:1.
50:1 equals 1 pint of oil to 6 gal. of gas.
You have to connect to a water supply on a muff ( motor flusher ) and make sure water is coming out exhaust and/or pee tube.
Impeller will only last a very short time if not connected to water supply unless you back boat/ motor into lake or put in barrel of water.