Author Topic: CVX-20 (warning: picture heavy)  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
CVX-20 (warning: picture heavy)
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:01:46 PM »
You guys may recall my CVX-16 used to be my uncle's.  He sold it when he found a beautiful 1988 CVX-20 to replace it.  Unfortunately my uncle passed away last month.  I am helping my aunt sell this boat as well as two hydroplane race boats.

The CVX-20 has always been a garage queen.  Floors, transom, etc are all solid.  The gelcoat is in excellent condition.  The boat is in Tacoma, WA and has been primarily a salt water boat on south Puget Sound.  I do not know how many hours are on it.  I believe the hours are low, but I cannot find an hour meter.

The boat has a few minor problems: 1) On the left rear is a crack in the fiberglass where a boat (actually my boat, before I owned it) bumped it.  There is a 1" piece of duct tape covering the crack which is shown in a picture below.  2) The steering needs adjustment.  It is stiff to operate.  3) Right trailer tire won't hold air.

What do you guys think this boat is worth?  And, is anyone interested?

Thanks,
-Eric

(Duct tape crack is in center of this picture)

(Looks like a crack in this picture.  It is actually the florescent light reflection.)

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
Re: CVX-20 (warning: picture heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 06:08:34 PM »
Wow .. incredible boat. 

Very sorry to hear about your uncle, he sure kept a beautiful boat.  I am not real certain on the market value of outboards but from what I have seen of the CVX-20 Sprint Outboard Boats they seem to bring around $8000.00 in top condition.  If you sell to the overseas market maybe higher.  I am over in Montana for a few weeks, if anyone is interested in the boat I could help move it across the county somewhere.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20

Offline ChfBrianB

• Brian Bergstrom
    • CGOAMN Homepage
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 07:33:56 PM »
Lisa and I send our sympathies...

The boat looks nice!  The salt water would be something that would spark my attentionas far as the motor goes, but then again...  I don't know much about how to deal with that...

That boat reminds me of ShadowGirl!

Good luck on the sale!
Brian
1975 V-173 (The Gravy Boat)
1976 CV-16SS (Greener Grass)
1977 CVX-20 Deluxe (Silver Fox)
1976 V-195
1986 CV-23
1977 T-166XL Sportster (Plan B)
1977 CVX-16

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:06 PM »
On the CGOA site Bill Muncey's (boat racer) 1980 CVX 20 with 235 Johnson is for sale. Do not know if it is still for sale. It is in mint condition.

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3951

"This boat is very close to mint condition. Was to be delivered to Bill Muncey but due to his untimely death never reached its destination. Has been in the family since the early 80's and though rarely used has been in storage for over 15 years. Minimal hours on the boat. 2.6l GT Johnson (235hp). Custom Trailer matched to boat. Three Stainless props. The hull is absolutely pristine on this boat. Very fast 65 mph +Asking $6000 but willing to entertain offers."
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline wiliermdb

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:21:11 PM »
Beautiful boat. It's always hard to see details in photos but from here on the screen the motor looks to be in excellent condition for being used mainly in salt water. If you take care of the motor after each use in salt then it will last. My fishing partner has a 10 year old Evinrude 200 that is used 90% of the time in salt. Every time he gets back he washes the motor with warm soapy water and flushes the motor for 10 minutes with fresh water. Keep the anodes fresh and you'll have a great motor.

I would love to have this CVX-20 but not in the budget right now. I'll pass it around to some friends and see if I can get some bites. If you can hold it until spring and warm weather you'd probably get more for it. Not many people want to buy a boat in the winter and not be able to use it. Hunting season is on for now.

Offline wexrocks

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
What a beautiful example... And that is the cleanest XP 200 I have ever seen. For anyone who doesn't know, the "XP" line of Evinrudes stood for "extra performance". 10% extra, actually, over the rated HP. So this one is puting out 220hp at the prop, making a serious performance machine on this hull. Stock location with no jackplate and a good prop, this boat would go well into the 70's, with potential for more, and getting there in a hurry. Very nice, indeed. Glad to see one so well cared for.
'79 CVZ-19 "convertible" w/Evinrude 175
'81 Scimitar
'89 CSS-19

Offline Eric_Michael

• '83 CVX-16 / 175 HP
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:27:52 AM »
Thanks everyone for the comments & kind words.

I should clarify this boat was used on salt water, but it was never stored on salt water.  My uncle was maniacal about getting salt off the boat when it came out of the water.  Typically 15+ minute flushing's in the driveway much to the annoyance of the neighbors!  My uncle was the type of guy who had a lot of cool toys and took exceptional care of them.

Fortunately my aunt is fine financially, so she is not in an urgent rush to liquidate everything.  My uncle was taken from us rather unexpectedly and we have found the grieving process is not an easy one.  This was a boat they bought together and carries all those memories with it.  She asked me to start marketing it (along with the two hydroplane race boats), but I don't know if she is ready to let it go just yet.  It won't be a problem if it doesn't sell until next boating season.

That said...  If anyone is interested, let's talk.  I can always get more pictures, we could have a local independent 3rd party look over the boat, etc.  My wife's family is in Mankato, so I doubt she would object to a road trip next spring / summer for a little gas money.   ;)

Thanks,
-Eric

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »
My wife's family is in Mankato, so I doubt she would object to a road trip next spring / summer for a little gas money.   ;)

Thanks,
-Eric

My family is in Mankato too. 
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hotwired

• The Ship
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 09:44:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments & kind words.

..................she is not in an urgent rush to liquidate everything.

Thanks,
-Eric

It would be well worth it both spiritually and financially to hang on to it for a bit then.  In the spring it would likely be a much better time to sell the boat and maybe the race boats also.  Having the boat around for another season to remember all the fun times on the water may be a good thing for months let alone years to come for that matter.  I have very few things left of my Dad's but those few things I do have I hold once in a while and they always bring a smile to my face even today, many years later.
.. it is what it is ... and that is how it should be!
Miss Mayberry - 1964 Saberflite
The Ship - 1979 CV-27
Canon Ball Eyes - 1976 CV-16ssV8
Da ProJect Bote - 1977 CV-23
It Is What It Is...... CVX20