Author Topic: CV-19 Restoration.  (Read 2307 times)

Offline chuckie

CV-19 Restoration.
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
Or should I say Restomod. This will be my 3rd CV-19. It is in pretty rough shape but it seems to be solid. My last two were ‘71 models with a 350 and this one has a 455. It had the rear side seat but none of the front seats and one thing I noticed is that with the bigger engine came a bigger engine cover and the two rear seat were only good for a small child. So I am going to change things up and I’m going to build a bulkhead in front of the engine like a CV-21 and install a seat that goes down the passenger side and wrap around in front of the bulkhead to be like a CV-21. I will then build an engine cover like a CV-21. She is missing the dash and glove box so I will need to do something different there unless I can find one somewhere.

As for the outside, the sun has take its toll on the clear and the metal flake is exposed. There are no stress cracks anywhere, even in the spots where I have seen them on other 19s. The top of the bow is not great. The gel coat is weathered pretty bad and you can pick it in spots and it will chip off down to the fiberglass if you use you fingernail. I think it will take some repair and a layer off glass to fix but I think it will be easily fixed. The bottom part of the hull has a couple chips that are down to the glass but I think the glass is not damaged and can be repaired pretty easy. I have someone who works for a local yacht company and does work on the side so the plan is to do up the outside in all new gel coat and maybe some gold flake.

The inside seems to be in really good shape. I have the jet out and taking the engine out in the morning. The transom feels solid as can be and is all original. There are no soft spots on the deck and the stringers do not look like they have any water damage. The main stringers do have a rubber plug in each stringer about a foot from the transom and the cross stringer right in front of the engine has two plugs. I pulled the plugs and they seemed to have this like condensation on them but I could not feel any moisture with sticking my finger in the hole. I am going to try and get ahold of one of those inspection cameras you can stick in the hole and see what I can see. I really don’t want to have to do any work on the deck or stringers but I will have to wait and see.

The motor is weathered but the guy I got it from said the engine didn’t have many hours on it. I will get the engine on a stand and pull the oil pan to see what things look like. Maybe pull a couple caps to see what the bearings look like. I pulled the valve cover and it looks brand new under them. I checked the oil and it’s a nice clear golden color. I’m hoping all I will need to do is a good clean up. The jet is in sad shape. Needs a rebuild and blasted and we powdercoat.

Offline chuckie

Re: CV-19 Restoration.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:53:00 PM »
I already started taking everything off the hull. Removing the rear foam was a pain but it was completely dry.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 09:29:05 PM »
Cool boat !
Keep posting your restromod !

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 10:13:25 PM »
Should be interesting to see you bring her back!
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »
Sounds like you've done this before .. But check out ..
Glastron1's thread is here ..

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=11183

Offline cv-19

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 11:27:55 AM »

When you remove pan would be a good time to check oil pump
pick up depth. Should be 1/4 TO 3/8 in. from bottom of pan
with gasket in place .Play Doh makes it easy to check,put oil
 on pan surface so it wont stick. 7 and 8 rod bearings last to get oil,
may want to check those if you remove caps for inspection.

Offline chuckie

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 12:50:41 PM »
Got the motor out this morning. Lifted the bow as far as I could with the forklift and got about 3 gallons of water out between the center stringer. Was really hoping not to see that but it’s really non unexpected either. Considering how brown the water is I might as well rip up the deck. That water has probably been sitting in there for years.

My first CV-19 which I took the top half of the hull off did not have the two halves fiberglassed together so it was easy to take apart. This one is fiberglassed together the whole perimeter. I do not see myself getting all the way under the bow with my cutoff tool to cut the joint.

The oil pan on the engine will need to be replaced. It is In rather bad shape and it looks dinged up like someone hit it with a hammer because it was sitting too low. 

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »
Parts CV19 .. Not much left ..

1972 glastron jet boat 19ft - $600 (Canton south
https://akroncanton.craigslist.org/boa/d/waynesburg-1972-glastron-jet-boat-19ft/6945909693.html