Author Topic: 1977 CV-23 Hatch and Windscreen (Forward Facing) WANTED  (Read 10181 times)

Offline Chris1977

1977 CV-23 Hatch and Windscreen (Forward Facing) WANTED
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:07:15 PM »
HELP!  I'm seeking a forward facing windscreen and new hatch for my new baby... this CV-23.
Any for sale or if you have had experience with a vendor I'd appreciate it!

So far I keep striking out: 

UPD Plastics:  I see them all over the forums, and it looks like they have the molds, but get no response to email or phone calls.... It seems like they have exactly what I need, has anyone had any experience with them or any ideas how to reach them?

EDS Plastics:  It seems like they have gone out of business?

Thank you!!

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
Re: 1977 CV-23 Hatch and Windscreen (Forward Facing) WANTED
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:19:25 PM »
Welcome to the forum Chris !
Did you see this thread ?

Glastron/Carlson windshields ...
http://forum.cgoamn.com/index.php?topic=2901.0

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
Too bad to hear you are having a hard time finding resources to make you a new hatch cover. Looks like you have the original, but cracked. That could be enough for many plexi-shops to mold you a new one. When i was getting a windshield recreated for my V172 my biggest battle was finding a shop with a big enough oven. These hatch covers are not that big. I would just start calling around where you are and see if anyone can match it.

If you dig deep enough, maybe you can figure out who the owner of EDS was, find contact info, and see if he still has the mold. Anyone know a private investigator? lol
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline Carlson_from_Germany

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 03:13:42 PM »
UPD has them and does a great job. Everyone is having trouble reaching them though. Keep on trying.

Offline Chris1977

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 01:06:01 PM »
Can anyone out there send some close up pictures of the forward facing windscreen, showing how it sits in and attached to the boat?
Also, some close up pictures of the center joint / prop rod?

UPD has responded!  WOO HOO!! 

I attached the UPD schematic, can anyone out there with a CV-23 verify if it looks like theirs?  I'm also going to measure next time I'm off at the boat.

Also, they are quoting 1/4" thickness.  I am wondering if anyone has experience with 3/8"?

Thank you CV community!!!

Offline rheine

• Donate members
    • A Universe of Equine People and Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:26:27 PM »
I got mine from UDP. You have to be patient with these guys. It's probably high season. I think I waitied at least 2 weeks before I got a ship notice. I will send pics. When flat they look like two large boomerangs.

These arrive flat with no holes so you have to be super careful bending and screwing. I matched up the old holes and marked with a marker then ran into the shop and drilled. My plexi did not want to seat all the way into the tight bend so I did not push it. I have a 1/2" gap for a foot or so. Use rubber washers and go slow.  The center post is fairly forgiving.

If i was doing this again I think I would either have them heat bent or see about getting them cut from polycarbonite.

One of my projects is to get some of these wind screens into DFX files. Then we will have some much lower priced alternatives. If you have an old one you can trace it and have it roll scanned for me at Fedex Office I can produce a DFX for you to shop around to have it CNC cut..

R
1986 CV-23

Offline Diamond Chad

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
Dash project is out of polycarbonite.  It flexed into position very nicely.  Certainly seemed to bend without threatening to crack better than the plexiglass that came out.
2012 GTR 160 Collectors Edition
87 CVX-18 5.7 (Sold)
88 CVX-16 115 Merc  (Sold)
57 Dunphy Imperial Musky - 57 Golden Javelin
01 Malibu Sunsetter 21 LSV 340 EFI

Offline rheine

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »
First of several wind screen pics. Waiting for camera to upload to Drive. Just got in from tubing. Will have some fun vids later. Notice I added the edge trim.  The window is so narrow and out of the way  I don't worry about anyone grabbing it for balance. It's a very unique, creative feature and I love the way it looks. I will check the hatch later today.

R
1986 CV-23

Offline rheine

• Donate members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 06:35:34 PM »
OK, got some more.

I think you could make a sound hatch with thick flat plex and some good molding. Note where the leading edge goes into the deck. It has a point about 3 inches outward from a square shape..

R

1986 CV-23

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 08:50:29 PM »
 For the hatch check with jczlong on the national site. He is looking at having some made. Here's the link.   

http://www.classicglastron.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11171
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline Chris1977

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:19 AM »
Thanks, All!

1) @rheine - Thank you!! 
I noticed that my center post looks different thatn yours, it is more of a round bar with a foot on each end, is yours like that but with a metal cover?
Also, you mentioned the plexi from UPD being flat, it it literally totally flat and needs to be bent 60 degrees or so at the corner? 
I wonder if a heat gun could be used to bring up the temperature in the bend corner, so that it can bend further / tighter with more of a permanent set...  (but I wouldn't want to ruin it right away)

2) Just realized that there is a dash cover also!  Does anyone have ideas on specifications / pictures / replacements for that?

3) @glastronjohn18 - Hatch looks good on the CGOA national forum, thank you!  I'm getting an account there now so I can make contact with the guy.  My boat does not have the prop rods to hold it open like rheine pictures, just hinges and a simple latch.  But, shape of hatch is the same so it should work.

4) @diamond chad - Thanks!  Are you suggesting that polycarbonate would be a better material than plexiglas for these parts?  I'm guessing it is stronger...it also able to be bent more aggressively without breaking?

Offline Chris1977

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Here's a picture from Scootered10 CV-23 for sale - Amazing looking boat by the way!
Windscreen looks pretty thick and has a nice tight bend... see example pic.

Offline rheine

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:42 PM »
I guessing that the windscreen for the Scootered10 CV-23 was heat molded. Plex won't take a corner like that just flexing it.  Yes, mine arrived from UDP totally flat. The advantage to poly is that it is very hard to break, will take a mean bend but it scratches easier and costs more.

What do you mean dash cover? Do you mean the horizontal piece over the gauges?  I will run down to the dock and get some pics. Pretty sure it's flat.

1986 CV-23

Offline rheine

• Donate members
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 02:33:41 PM »
Dash cover 1986

Rick

1986 CV-23

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator

Offline rheine