Author Topic: Uncovered the Ugly  (Read 14030 times)

Offline WetRaider

Uncovered the Ugly
« on: May 05, 2012, 07:48:57 PM »
Holy Moly.
Trying to clean up the boat, so I can work in it - we finally had a nice sunny day and I could risk dragging out tools, etc. into the yard.
Interior was pulled down to the carpeted floor.  Discovered only the rear half of the carpet was glued down - the front half would shift and bubble.  So I pulled it back, thinking I might go pick up some proper adhesive ... my plywood floor is bare-ass plywood.  Naked.  Nothing.  Just a chunk of CDX plywood plunked down with about 8 screws.
Realized I need to get a new piece, coat it properly, and replace what I've got so I started pulling the rest of the carpet.  PO used Liquid Nails flooring adhesive, with a v-notch trowel to spread it all around.  Looked like a giant shoe stepped in gum the way this stuff was stringing around.  Also have discovered that he used a rubberized waterproofing brushed on a large majority of the hull - it goes under the naked plywood floor, didn't use it to seal up or waterproof the cut edges of the plywood.

How should I go about getting that rubberized crap out?  Wire cup brush?  Flap wheel on the grinder?  Should I worry about it everywhere, or only where I need to tie in the floor as I glass over it? 

Also, the rub-rail end caps for the transom that I bought online seem to be almost an inch too long.  Supposedly from the same year.  Makes me feel dumb out there looking at it for too long.
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline fireman24mn

Re: Uncovered the Ugly
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 08:55:51 PM »
I used a cup brush on my buffer to get all the glue the last guy used to glue the carpet down. I wouldnt think that you would need to get all the old out just where ever you will be putting down glass and resin.
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline MarkS

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 06:36:15 AM »

Also, the rub-rail end caps for the transom that I bought online seem to be almost an inch too long.  Supposedly from the same year.  
Hey Dan, you're working on the GT-150?  Those trim pieces that came with my project boat (1971) are too short, wanna trade or sell those?  If you'll shoot me an email to , I'll send you some pics and we'll talk about it.....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:04:09 PM by MarkS »
Mark
1978 SSV-176

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »
AAARRRRGGGG ...
That sucks !
At least when your done ya lnow it will be done RIGHT  ...

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 10:43:29 PM »
OK.  

I won't be able to blame the PO anymore.

New transom wood had delaminated from the fiberglass.

Lifted the deck - I thought - and realized that I had lifted the whole damn thing off the trailer.  Eventually, I started to hear a zipper sound & the hull dropped back into the trailer ... only it took the splash well with it.  The splash well, where it wraps over the top of the transom had been glued with liquid nails AND riveted to the transom.  Then, the top and bottom had been foamed together with "Great Stuff."

So, outta this deal, I'm getting a new floor (don't even ask about stringers, I'm afraid to look right now), new transom, new splash well ... might even make me a fiberglass "fastback" tonneau cover.  To think I started out thinking I could ratchet my transom into place and build some bracing to tie it in to the floor.   I'll spend tomorrow afternoon on the phone with Express Composites and get some material ordered.  With some determination, I'll be water worthy come June.  Maybe not pretty, but at least she'll have good bones.  Wish me luck.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jerry

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:02:48 AM »
When you talk to Jim at Express ask him about Roving with Mat for the floor.
'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:06 PM »
Jerry -
Called Express Composites today, Jim was not in.  Talked to Tomas.  We talked through the project and he sent me a decent list of product.  When we was talking about the transom, he said to start with the bare original glass and add a layer of chopped mat and resin, then a piece of marine ply, then another layer of chopped mat and resin, and another layer of marine ply, then the same again with a final two layers of chopped mat.  He was under the weather and we were pushing the 5 o'clock whistle, so we cut the call short and will pick up tomorrow ... do we typically do a 3-layer ply transom?  I only recall seeing 2 layers of 3/4, usually with only resin between, cannot recall anyone doing theirs like a fiberglass lasagna ..
What's your take?  There is a supplier in Des Moines that will have marine ply - I can get it starting at 1/8" up to 3/4".  They won't ship & it's a two hour drive each way.  Since my splash well ripped off, I'll be making a new one & can accommodate a slightly thicker transom - as long as I don't get so thick the motor clamps won't slip on.

Dan O'Connor

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
I'm not Jerry, but the description of the transom lay-up the fellow described to you is exactly the way I do a transom, and don't worry about using marine grade wood for a transom, it's all incased with glass from the begining of the construction, ya don't need to waste that money or time.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
Yeah Dan, the 1 place we can get Marine ply is pricey.  I would just wrap it all up in fiberglass and save the money and hassle of getting marine ply.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »
OK.  I'll go with regular ply.
What thickness for the transom?  3 pieces of 1/2" with the mat in between? 

Dan O'Connor

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
I use cabnet grade hardwood ply, you can go as much as 2 1/4 total thickness max, but 2" is plenty, better check out the mount depth for the outboards.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 10:15:16 PM »
Why the hardwood ply?  Other than it seems to be more dimensionally stable sitting at the lumber yard?  
I suppose I ought to dig out my transom and see how deep it goes before I buy anything - I've got several pieces of 24 x 48 birch ply at the house.  All 3/4, though.  

Dan O'Connor

Offline OleRed

• Oklahoma Boating Group
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 10:46:55 PM »
I don't use birch because the birch laminate don't seem to be adhered as well as the oak laminate, and the oak is more porus than the birch, adhere's better. The hardwood ply has cores than osb, or marine ply, and it's smooth on both sides, less voids.
1980 23ft Scimitar

Offline Jerry

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 11:14:39 PM »
I use 2 pieces 3/4 (normally cut from 1 4X8 piece. laminating resin ONLY but I run a couple screws in from each side to suck it all together. Anything more than standard exterior grade plywood is just a "feel good" there's no more strength, only more money. I also give the new plywood a couple coats of resin and acetone to seal everything up and make it easier to bond. You need mat between the outer shell and plywood wet the mat down again laminating resin (no wax) and pull push clamp and if you can screw from the outside (screw holes fill easy) the transom (after drying) can be tabbed in with normal glass and then a layer of glass over the transom and a layer bi-axial glass/with mat over everything. I use my stapler to "nail down" the glass and then soak it down with surface resin (or add 3% wax to laminating resin) roll it down to get it flat and the air out and let it dry. Tomas (toe-mas) is a nice kid, but mostly "book learned"

That's just my way. No book learnin' here.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:41 PM »
Teardown complete.  The deck is hanging by tie downs from the carport.  The hull is empty, except for the ski locker and floor.  All old (bottom half wet) foam is gone.  Transom is cut out, corner boxes cut out, vertical sides cut out, bulkhead (R + L) cut out.  The glassed in wood blocking for the tie-down u-bolts at the stern was the consistency of a soggy cigar - they're gone, too.  I think I had wiring for a 24 foot boat - it was looped & looped & looped & taped & zip-tied.  The short that caused my smoldering at the end of last season melted through my pitot tube in two places.  I wouldn't have had a speedometer had I tried to go back out.  Plugged up the filter on the shopvac trying to get her cleaned out.

24 x 48 pieces of oak ply were not in great shape at the lumber yard today - there was a lot of curve to those pieces (poor storage).  I'll pick up a full sheet of 3/4" for the floor, and another full sheet at 1/2" for the transom & "wings."  Have to make arrangements for delivery or transportation for full sheets.

Now I need to get the painted on "waterproofing" off ... thinking about a paint stripper on the grinder ... then a good rough sanding.  I'd like to roll the whole thing with a good coat of resin on a roughed-up surface before putting anything new down.  Also thinking I'll put in two or three cross members at rub-rail height, set with screws, just to hold the sides of the hull up at their "closed" position while I glass in the new floor - then pull them out before I lower the deck back on.  

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jerry

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 10:04:43 PM »
3/4 is a little heavy for the floor

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 10:51:27 PM »
Yeah, but nobody stocks 5/8.  I could order it, but it's more expensive than 3/4.

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jerry

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »
3/8 or 1/2 at the most. ya gonna drive a truck on it?

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 10:14:58 AM »
OK.  Express Composites is my new friend.

Chopped Strand and Double Bias Mat for transom, Fiberglass cloth for floor, 3 gallons laminating resin, 2 bottles MEKP.  Ordered, paid for, will ship today. 

Makes me want to start my own HGTV show - "Boat Crashers"  haha

Dan O'Connor

Offline Jerry

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 11:03:20 AM »
It should work,  I still like the roving with mat and bi-axial with mat, It's just so easy to work with.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:27:33 AM by Jerry »