Author Topic: Outboard Professionals Wanted ...  (Read 7048 times)

Offline WetRaider

Outboard Professionals Wanted ...
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
Well, it looks like spring has almost arrived.  The trees are just starting to bud out.  I'm going to pull the boat out today or tomorrow and get the engine prep done so I can turn it over.

Most of you know my old GT has a 1976 Mercury 1150.  The top cylinder had lower compression by about 10-12% when it was checked right after purchase in 2011.  With a new engine harness, and new plugs, it did alright for that season.  I was out 2-3 times a week on average.  Put it away in October, 2011.

Last year, got stuck in the re-build.  I worked the carbs over with OEM rebuild kits and made my own boat side harness.  New ignition with push-to-choke, new controls.  I didn't turn the key until August - with a little starting fluid sprayed down the throat, it fired up on the first try.  The idle screws on carbs were set high, which I knew, but I was confident it would at least start on the water.  The next time that engine started was at Red Wing.  I had a handful of guys knee-deep at the launch ramp helping out (Shawn, Jason, Doran, that I know of, maybe a few more).  Again, it wouldn't start on its own without a shot of starting fluid (bottle claims to be lubricating).  Idle was adjusted for a low 600-700 rpm.  It idled nicely when it started, until I had to engage forward or reverse.  Once a drive gear was engaged, the engine shut down unless I shoved into the throttle.  Without the cowl on, it seemed to run great.  With the cowl on, it didn't run quite as well.  I'll chalk that up to airflow - maybe cut into the cowl and install a "hood scoop."  It also appeared we suffered a little overheating on that parade ... I was hanging back to not get in anyone's way if we had trouble, but then found out when the motor shut down that there was no-one left behind to help out.  We bobbed for several minutes before I took the cowl off, sprayed some fluid again, started up and headed back towards camp.

After that, it was run only once more with Kurtis at Lake Red Rock.  Once again, I had to remove the cowl and spray with fluid to start.  It just wouldn't seem to fire on its own.  Once running, though, it seemed to do ok.  Would even re-fire if I shut down.  Again, though, I had to advance the throttle to keep it in idle, pull back to neutral, grab forward, and hammer the throttle in one really quick motion to keep it running.  Otherwise, it would die once a drive gear was engaged.  I've also had trouble with this thing at WOT.  It seems to get a fuel starvation issue when wide open.  I've got a YouTube video with this issue happening.  Just seems to cut out until I pull back on the throttle a bit.  I could run low-mid 40's with Kurtis, but that was it.  Trying to get any more would just have this thing acting like it was running out of gas.

Last winter I sprayed the cylinders with fogging oil through the plugs & turned the fly-wheel a few times to coat those walls.  This was September, I believe.  What should I be doing to this thing before I dump it in the lake?  I think my plugs are ok - no need to spend money unnecessarily, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a new set of plugs if it will help with anything.  This is the old, rotating distributor, so I don't think plug wires are a possibility.  And I'm pretty sure the distributor is obsolete.  I can bring the idle up, either at the carb, or at the rotating distributor.  I remember Shawn having to work that distributor by hand to slow it down some - it wasn't turning in to the stop on its own.  I would much rather not have to remove the cowl and spray starting fluid every time I'm getting on the water.  I'd like to see a couple more seasons out of this motor, given that we overbought this boat in the first place. 

Any first-time-for-the-season hints, tips, and suggestions welcome. 
If you didn't get wet, you didn't have fun ~ WetRaider

Dan O'Connor
1979 GT 150 / 1976 Mercury 1150

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
Re: Outboard Professionals Wanted ...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Having had a 1974 Merc 115 HP that had some problems, I would try these procedures:

New fuel diaphram and check valves
New fuel line, hose pump, and end connections
Clean underside of distributor and gently clean/sand/file the rotor rotating end and distributor contacts
Make sure your shift and throttle cables are adjusted correctly
Link and sync work
Overhaul carburators
New fuel lines inside engine

Spark plugs should be the NGK BUHW or Champion L78V  - check the numbers, I am going by memory

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 08:59:40 PM by David CVX-16 »
David
87' CVX-16, 85' 115 HP Johnson, 58.8 MPH GPS w/ 23" SRX Prop

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:23:16 PM »
David,
Thanks for the reply.  I have Champion plugs in it now. 
Fuel line was replaced when I did the carb rebuild.
Control cable was mounted new with the new controls during last years re-build.  Teleflex Xtreme cable and Osprey controls.
I can get the procedure for a link&sync, but I'm a lonely guy out here ... I think that's a two person job ... maybe not, but requires some serious time at a ramp.  Can that distributor be taken apart?  Hadn't thought of that.  Maybe I need a pit crew at Rathbun ...

Dan O'Connor

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
Believe there are three spring loaded rods that run from the top to the bottom of the distributor. Push down and then turn the three rods to get the distributor apart. My underside of the distributor cap was dirty, greasy, and the contacts needed cleaning up. Also buy the carbon rod piece with the spring wrapped around its bottom that sits in a hole. Is it a contact and wears down with time.
David

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:40:16 PM »
Sounds like your sync-n-link is out of wack. Also 600-700 at idle sounds slow. The idle is adjusted on the distributer. The sync-n-link is not too difficult to do by yourself. You can do in your driveway. I ran through it a couple times on my old 95hp inline 6. You just need a timing light. To tell you the truth, I don't think you even need to have it running. Just cranking over. I wired in a little toggle switch to the starter solenoid so I could crank the engine while running the timing light. Do you have the procedure for it?

I would start with that.

Don't cut any holes in your cowl! That does not make any sense that it does not like to run with the cowl on. I think it breaths from the top on the back.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
700 RPM at idle is the factory recommended, but 900 to 1,000 may be nessary to prevent the motor from stalling. There is a idle screw mounted on the black casting by the top of the distributor marked "idle" that can adjust the idle speed.  
David

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
I'll take a look at that distributor and see ...
I'm pretty confident in taking things apart and putting them back together - I just like to know what they're suppose to do so that I can make sure they're operating properly...
Where would I find the spring-wrapped carbon rod?

Jason, the link-n-sync procedure I had said it had to be done in the water ... suggested backing down a slow ramp and staying there until it was done.
I don't have a timing light ... it may be possible to borrow one from the shop down the street.  

I think a hood scoop turned sideways on that cowl could look pretty cool ... http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Plastic-Scoop-Decoration-Silver/dp/B00858U086/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1THAZDOWP300U

**edit** I had the idle set at 900 the year before.  I don't mind a slightly higher idle, the boat doesn't sit at idle for very long anyway.  The biggest desire is to have the engine start on one or two turns of the key, and stay running when I engage a drive gear.  After that, I would like to get up to speed without the engine cutting like I've got a fuel issue.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:02:18 PM by WetRaider »

Dan O'Connor

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
The spring wrapped carbon rod will be on top of the rotor and you will see it when the bottom of the distributor is separated
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:04:00 PM by David CVX-16 »
David

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »
Where would I buy a replacement?

Dan O'Connor

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:06:33 PM »
Any Mercury outboard dealer. Know your Mercury serial number and a good parts man should be able to pinpoint it. The spring and the carbon rod may be separate parts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 10:21:33 PM by David CVX-16 »
David

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 10:19:54 PM »
Check your PM Dan ...

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56:47 PM »
Thanks Jason & David!

Tiki Marine should be able to get my parts.  If not, I can get Chris at Mapleton Marine to send it my way.

Dan O'Connor

Offline David CVX-16

• Donate members
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 07:37:31 AM »
From the description of your symptons, I suspect that the shift and thottle are not in sync. When I changed these cables, I had the problem of dying when shifting into gear. The cables must be in sync so that the spark is advanced the right amount for the RPMs.  Also there is a band of metal around the distributor that keeps the two halves in place and they are fixed in place by a square cutout in the metal top half matched by a square raised section in the plastic lower half. The way they are separated is to simply loosen the bolt and nut that keeps the metal band tight. My three rod deal may be from a car thing and is not true.

David

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 08:10:57 AM »
Raider, if you need any pages/procedures from the service manual let me know. I can shrink them and post them upside down if needed. Just need a serial number.

Offline WetRaider

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:54 AM »
Don, hahaha.  I think Gregg has managed to cure any improper image posting before I've seen it.  I think once there was something sideways ...

I now have the Mercury Manual as a .pdf on my computer (thanks to this group).  I'll go through the process with this motor according to the manual - and check back here for help when I need clarification.

Thanks for the help!

Dan O'Connor

Offline Retro Performance

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 10:37:15 AM »
Oh...............I meant my photo posts, I have to copy them at 50% before I scan them and then I can post them. I have not been able to figure out why I have to do that and most end up upside down but Hyper always repairs them for me.  If I can be of any help please let me know.

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:29 PM »
Jason, the link-n-sync procedure I had said it had to be done in the water ... suggested backing down a slow ramp and staying there until it was done.
I don't have a timing light ... it may be possible to borrow one from the shop down the street.  

Looks like the procedure for my 67 is different than your 76 for some odd reason. The water test on mine was just to adjust idle speed AFTER you sync and link it and also to verify it's working properly. Either way, you need to go through this if you tore it apart to rebuild your carbs. Head out to the ramp on a weeknight and get it done. You can find a timing light on ebay for cheap. Get an "inductive" one.
Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline GCarlover

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:21 PM »
It's been a while since my 70 Merc 115.  If you have the service manual I think the pickup timing means the timing reading when the carbs start to open.  It advances first , then the carbs start to open.  My Johnson does not.  If it's not a surge it's probably not running lean.  Hard starting- two problems.  The old floats were foam, replaced with hollow white plastic.  They won't flood when tipped up.  This will help a lot:  too much voltage loss through the brass plugin wiring.  1 to 2 volts causes the spark to be weak.  Check the volts at the starter vs the battery when cranking and polish up the terminals.  
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:47:59 AM by GCarlover »