Author Topic: Glastron Paint Design - Opinion Poll  (Read 7122 times)

Offline CVZ18Fan

Glastron Paint Design - Opinion Poll
« on: October 24, 2013, 02:17:30 PM »
I am picking up the 92 G1900 on Saturday, super excited. Just thinking forward on what I want to do with the paint. As you can see, this hull has a traditional swoop with no second line under the rear like Shawn's CVX18.

I was on the national site reading this thread about the rebuild of this Futura, what a beautiful boat!! I am wondering what you guys think of doing the continuation line to the bow like this one has. Jeff's CVX18 has this also.

I will be painting the Glastron Swoosh Orange Flake and from the top edge of the thin line up top, I will continue that to the topside of the hull. Some opinions would be great!

Rich

Offline Jason

• Global Moderator
  • 1974 CV16SS, 1986 CV23
Re: Glastron Paint Design - Opinion Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »
I personally like the more modern swoosh. Makes them look longer to me. My CV23 has that same style swoosh. I think the orange would look sweet like that!

Jason S.
1974 Glastron Carlson CV16SS 140 I/O
1986 Glastron Carlson CV23 260 I/O

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:59 PM »
I agree 100%, I like that long style.

Rich

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:15:22 PM »
I like this one as well. I'm not sure if I will go for this or Jasons style
I think this has become an addiction.

1977 CV-23 I/O Full Resto complete
1976 CV-16 V8 Resto in progress
1985 Pearson MotorYacht 43ft

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
With as many variations as there are of the swoosh, I think I will lay it out with painters tape once it is here and run it past you guys. Based on looking at the various layouts, the continued line typically follows a defined body line on the hull. Which ever direction I go, the Orange Flake is going to rock !!!

Shawn, I actually have a question for you regarding the application of the flake. If I wanted to do a combination of flake colors (all Roth Flake) say, 70% Agent Orange, 15% Voo Doo Bloo and 15% Speedball is that a stupid idea? Would it work?

I just want some subtle blue and silver in there too, maybe my percentages are off maybe it is 80/10/10 or 90/5/5, no clue. The reason I am asking is this.....when you look at the ACTUAL Florida Gators paint on their helmets (I have had two painted through Jason the equipment manager at UF), there are specs of silver and blue in there with the metallic orange. Just was thinking if there were hints of silver and blue mixed with the orange, it would look cool. Give me some feedback, spraying flake is new for me and you have more experience.

I am assuming you used the Trippin line for the Agent Orange on the CVX18 correct?

Based on the site, it is hard to tell the difference between the Tropi Cali color in the "Standard" line and the Agent Orange in the "Trippin" line. The Agent Orange has a size range of .008-.015 for the flakes and the Tropi Cali is all .015. Is it the same color with a size difference?

Rich
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 04:46:01 PM by CVZ18Fan »

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
Yes you could mix the flakes. I would do a spray out test card old fender or something so you can see what it actually looks like. I did a few when I painted the 18. That is when I found that the orange looked the best under the flake. I have some spray out cards if you want a few other wise any where that mixes paint should have them I am sure they would give you some.

I also have the flake cards that I bought from Roth if you want to pay shipping back and fourth I could send them too you. Or just call Roth they sent me a few samples of flake when I was looking.

I used the flake called agent orange. The tropi cali and the agent are the same orange just the agent orange shifts color and will reflect blue, green, red, etc. Last yes same color different size.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:37:23 PM »
I like lace.

'72 Glastron GT160 Sport - Okie-Dokie
'63 Winner - Grandpa's Fisn-Bote
'63 Glasspar SeaFair Sunliner - Mischief Maker

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 07:55:19 PM »
Shawn, thanks for the reply. Didn't realize that the Agent Orange reflected all those other colors, I like the thought of that. Until I looked at a zoomed in shot of it, I had no idea. I think I will call Roth tomorrow and have them send me some same cards. The fact that it shows those other colors I think will be just fine. Sure wish I had the opportunity to see that with my own eyes.

Jerry, nice lace, not my style though.

Rich

Offline Glastronjohn18

• project in progress
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
I'm in favor of the longer stripe. It breaks up some of the white on the hull.
John
'80 CVX 18 - Survivor Class
'78 CVX 18
'76 V 225 -   Bal Harbor
'80 V195XL
'86 CVX 18- And '86 Makes 3

Offline dorelse

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 09:30:03 PM »
Me too, carry the orange forward.
1990 Sierra 1700

Offline CVX Fever

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »
I like the look with the swooosh carried forward but to my eyes it shortens the boat up.  Both Jeff's and Tim's CVX18's look shorter to me than my boat from the side. Could be the engine cover doing that too.

1979 CVX18 "Back in Black"....someday!
1985 CVX18 " Only thing better than 2 CVX18's is 2 girlfriends!

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 04:13:08 AM »
I think it will carried forward. Like I said, I will lay it out with painters tape and show you guys to get some feedback.

Wish I could go get it today but I am off for the day for a more important reason. My wife had her Gall Bladder removed yesterday so I am playing nurse again today. She is hurting pretty good this morning. I am taking a short break this morning from my post and bringing the CVZ18 to her new home about 20 minutes from where my house is. He says he is going to finish it. Maybe I will get to ride in her someday.

Rich

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 08:53:52 AM »
Until this post. I never really looked at the swoosh ...
Man, there's a lot of different swooshes over the years !
If some one has "Paintshop" you could try them out and see which one looks the best in your eyes.

My 2 cents ...
Maybe this design with the top deck orange flake ...
Maybe loose the side ways slash bars.
I like the black windshield frame.

OR ...

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 09:17:29 AM by Hyperacme »

Offline Burnin Daylight

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 08:54:22 AM »
Rich, hope the Mrs. does alright after her procedure.
1981 INTIMIDATOR  "BURNIN DAYLIGHT"
1984 CV23  "HOT KNOTS"

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 01:00:18 PM »
I like both of those style also, we'll see.

Barb, thanks. She is going to be fine, just really really sore from the 4 incisions. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Rich

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 04:17:10 PM »
Shawn, I called Roth this afternoon. They are sending me samples of the three colors I referenced yesterday.

Have you considered Chevrolet Hugger Orange as a base color?? My favorite color!

Rich
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 04:39:26 PM by CVZ18Fan »

Offline fireman24mn

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »
That would prob be a good base I really have not looked into it yet. All you need is a good bright orange otherwise the is Hemi orange as well.

Offline CVZ18Fan

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 06:32:12 PM »
Yeah, both are nice shades. Will probably go with Hugger being a Bowtie guy.

Hey Shawn, need you to advise me please. I have the opportunity to get my hands on the primer and base coats of this product dirt cheap, I am talking $30 per 5 gallons. This guys paints factories, ships, military stuff too. He said when this epoxy dries, it is as hard as rock. He had a HUGE job that changed scope and has hundreds of gallons he is getting rid of.  Want/need your opinion. Says on the spec sheet that this stuff can be tinted also.

Here are the links, could you check these out and let me know your opinion?

Basecoat:
http://www.international-pc.com/products/info/Finishes/Tru-Glaze-WB-4406.aspx

Primer:
http://www.international-pc.com/PDS/4433-P-eng-usa-LTR.pdf

I would be spraying in my uncles downdraft booth and they spray water based also up there. I would be using this for the trailer and the hull seeing that I can tint it. A few things I need to call and ask if you are unable to identify in the docs, can I tint this to any paint code and also if I can spray the clear with the flake over it. Will call if you don't know. Just want to jump on this deal and not miss out if you think this would work. How can you go wrong getting 5 gallons of primer and paint for $60. Let me know.

Offline Rosscoe

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2013, 07:45:25 AM »
I think I'd like the swoosh on the Futura you posted but maybe modified a bit. Not sure I like the bump up on it. I think thats what makes it look shorter.  Straighten that out? Run it all the way up front just above the water line?
I also prefer if the rear of the swoosh is centered in some feature in the glass or the rub rail. To me, it adds something as opposed to being on a totally flat surface.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:50:37 AM by Rosscoe »
Ross
61 Surflite 1964 90HP Johnson project
67 V163 Bayflite Super Sport  1989 100HP Merc
67 V164 Bayflite 120HP
67 V174 Crestflite Rat Rod
71 V175 Crestflite 350ci -Jet
73 GT 160
84 CVX 17  83 115 Merc
88 CVX-23 350 Mag