Author Topic: Project 73 cv-16 seats and dash  (Read 20522 times)

Offline mrfCV16

Re: Project 73 cv-16 seats and dash
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2020, 04:27:55 PM »
Ok will try both solutions. I sanded down the plywood to bare wood on most of the floor board. Sanded it all around and there is some hardener/sealer that wound not come off easily. I didn’t want to gouge the plywood there. I sanded it and it has rough surface. I applied the resin sealer coats. It seems like the fiberglass and the resin coat is sticking to it. Has this ever been and issue of it delaminating? I filled in the 90 degree angles that weren’t done well before. I didn’t have any cracks or splits and the sheet was completely intact. See pic from before sealing.

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2020, 11:41:58 AM »
My resin and fiberglass floor is dry ready for the carpet overlay I am getting ready to lay down the marine carpet on the inside of the cv16 and am wondering are there definitive opinions on carpet adhesive vs carpet tape? I have seen more adhesive uses when searching the forum. Need to get it by saturday. I was going to get about a gallon (its says it only covers a 8x10 area) from amazon of:    CMC Boat Carpet Glue
         Brand: CMC
         Designed for installing glue-down type boat carpet, this water based marine adhesive is what you'll need to glue down your new carpeting. This boat carpet glue is water based, non flammable,
         low-odor and non-toxic. Trowel our glue down for best results, once carpet is laid down use a heavy roller to press the back of the carpet into the glue lines you've created with the trowel. Each
         gallon covers an 8' x 10' area Sold in single gallon pales This glue needs to be troweled down 1/8th" trowel recommended[/color]
or
         Boat Carpet Glue Gallon
           Brand: BoatCarpetCentral
           This Carpet Glue is sold in 1 Gallon Pails
           Each 1 gallon pail covers an 8' X 10' area
            Water based (Adheres to rubber backed carpeting perfectly and will not deteriorate backing over time like alcohol-based
            glues)This carpet glue is very versatile and may be used on Marine Plywood, Particle Board, Concrete, Aluminum and
             Fiberglass.This marine adhesive is what you'll need to safely secure your new carpeting and achieve the look of a
            professional installation all by yourself.It seems to set up and hold marine carpets.

thanks for any additional information.
Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 11:59:15 AM by mrfCV16 »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2020, 01:32:33 PM »
I used carpet tape along chine's and edges so carpet stuck to couture of hull and floor, red lines in picture.
Seats cover and hold carpet down on about 50% of floor. The wood piece in front of splash well holds it down in stern.
I used cheap carpet and wanted to be able to replace easily.

I'm going to get my supply's tonight and install carpet tomorrow.

Offline Oldfishguy

• Donate members
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »

I did mine in glue; I should have done tape. 

The glue smell is worse than resin.  And this carpet is not a 30 year solution either as it is not durable enough,  so the tape would make for an easy change out when the time comes. 

1972 1/2 Glastron CV 16
1973 Chrysler 120

Offline Diamond Chad

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2020, 03:06:30 PM »
I did glue on the CVX-16.  If I was doing it again, I would use the double side tape.
2012 GTR 160 Collectors Edition
87 CVX-18 5.7 (Sold)
88 CVX-16 115 Merc  (Sold)
57 Dunphy Imperial Musky - 57 Golden Javelin
01 Malibu Sunsetter 21 LSV 340 EFI

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2020, 03:20:56 PM »
After cutting tape with scissor .. I had to use acetone to clean off scissors.
Carpet took a set and never had any problem with it moving.

Carpet almost came out in one piece when I removed it, just spots under seat bases ripped apart.

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2020, 03:29:25 PM »
Ok perfect I looked at maybe thr 3m product ?
3M Scotch Reinforced Outdoor Carpet Tape is weather resistant and reinforced for added durability. It's ideal for boats, recreation vehicles, patios, decks and garages. Use it for outdoor installation of carpets and artificial turfs on wood, concrete, ceramic tile and other tile floor surfaces.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2020, 03:57:36 PM »

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2020, 05:27:38 PM »
i am trying to get samples of the pleated marine vinyl in the shades/fields of emerald, spring and kelly as a color guide as they seem to match the original. i might be off on the shade need to look at all greens.  I really need to get it selected and ordered. I have a few vinyl smooth samples already on order but am struggling with the pleated. i have checked most of the posts on Marine Grade Pleated Vinyl /plain vinyl / flooring. Right now these two are my only two possibilities but am searching:
1.   This fabric warehouse seems to have roll & pleated in some colors
                        a.   https://fabricwarehouse.com/discount-sunbrella-furniture-weight-fabric/?_bc_fsnf=1&Overall+Color+Family=GREEN+FAMILY&Indoor+Vs.+Outdoor=Marine+%26+Auto
2.   Carolinaseaand quilt seams like they will do pleated.
                        a.      https://carolinasealandquilt.com/

any new finds would be awesome. i hate to do all custom on the pleated for the apron surround and seats.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
As long as your doing all your vinyl, coming close is about all you can do.
Mine was pretty close, but blue is a easy color to find, lots of chooses.

Below is the amount I ordered ..
It was more then needed but got extra in case of mistakes or needing repair in future ..

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:43 PM »
yes i am going to use your count for the final purchase. it really doesn't seem like that much extra. Glad to have that as a guide.  I still don"t have a good sample but i have quite a few coming to choose from. Its the pleated that i am severely limited on for choices. Really need the vinyl within 2 weeks.

Offline thedeuceman

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 02:14:37 PM »
Didn’t somebody post a couple years ago and couple of places that will do the heat pleading on vinyl that you supplied to them ?
Seems like it’s somewhere in the seat thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Joe
75 GT150 "SeaDeuced"... Its Back !!
92 16CSS "Attitude Adjustment" is for sale
75 CV-16V8, Project
74 CV-16... its Purple !

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 04:15:49 PM »
Custom vinyl pleating ...

Precision Engineering in Patterson, NJ: 973-906-0866

Carolina Seal and Quilt in SC ..
https://carolinasealandquilt.com/

Ed used Carolina seal & quilt, He lives close so no shipping, but charged $100 to do his CV16 seats & trim.

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 04:18:53 PM »
The list i was using off one thread is great . Green seems to be the difficult issue. In the kelly green, spring green, or emerald green range or anything close to it.  So far 8 out of 10 of them have no green or much darker shades. I am working with fabric wherehouse (they might have one in the right range). The other is carolina seal and quilt. They haven't gotten back to me. i have reached out to a few others to see if they have more than what they put on the websites.
thx

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
Have you tried here ... Achim Schloeffel gets his vinyl here ...

SMS Auto Fabrics  /  350 S. Redwood St. Canby, OR 97013 / 1.503.263.3535
https://smsautofabrics.com/?fbclid=IwAR3dO9VVOQECSd8yb4wn9k4tyCUCS6cbAzbdlPhddRXpPmO0UL9otaId2hU

Offline mrfCV16

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
i did try SMS thank you. While i am waiting on the vinyl i have many small items to handle and you guys might have insight. I will keep looking for answers in the forum but if you got any quick replies to these let me know. Apologize ahead of time if they are not great questions. Sometimes i can't make out the details from the pics.
1. I believe the ignition and shift control was always burlwood w/ adhesive on the marine plywood correct? it looks like it from the old photographs. I have the keys and made copies when i had the motor tuned up and made sure it was fixable.
2. I was going to seal the gear support and plywood for the seats before adding the foam? i am assuming that is good?
3. The battery holder and seats where both ripped out when i got it but it looks like the battery stand from cgo posts is just plywood and sealed is this correct? Did they have angle brackets?
4. The stern flanking flotation foam you guys refer (and have taken out) to in other posts have vertical plywood screens. it looks like the inside faces directly across from each other had some grey industrial paint that i sanded down. I was just going to seal them. they didn't have any resin on them. Is this normal? the two sides facing the bow had carpet with snaps and sealer on it. Is this normal? they also had no resin on them. Maybe the snaps where for the transom skirt surround?
5. the 2 facing the bow each has a angle clip on them. Was this added by previous owner or do they have function? Where they somehow for the transom skirt surround?
6. the piano hinge seems to be missing on the glove box i am hoping that is it? is there better brand to use?
7. the fuel tank in front is there something i can do to make sure its not rusted? i saw some people just using remote tanks. I will try and flush it out.
8. gelcoat paint the boat, dashboard crack and windshield (one) crack are hopefully winter fixes for me.
thanks again,

From   Subject   Received   Size   Categories   
FORSmiguel   Boat Glastron    3:58      
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:43:18 PM by mrfCV16 »

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 08:21:55 PM »
Burl wood vinyl was used on throttle control board, side pocket trim & seat bases

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 08:23:53 PM »
Yes .. piano hinge was used on glove box.
Look for one that's stainless steel

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »
I have a small battery tray of wood, glassed in under splashwell.
It was to small to accept the battery hold down, so had to add extension.

Offline Hyperacme

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 08:32:41 PM »
I removed my flotation foam boxes and made side panels, that glass to floor, with a little space around edges to tuck carpet in. They are not attached to deck. On the battery side I enclosed and space for control and steering cable. the other side is open.